By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - PlayOn on Wii U Gives You Hulu for Free and 50+ Channels

sethnintendo said:

I actually looked into this service awhile back when I was debating on getting rid of Hulu+. There seems to be more negative than positive comments (usually the case when it comes to the internet). I would advise anyone to look further into it because from what I gathered from this company isn't that good. They seem to offer the world yet deliver a sub standard service.

I tried it, and my experience was not good. You have to install a streaming server component on a PC on the network, this works as a proxy of sorts, the 'server' grabs the video and then re-streams it to your networked device such as a WiiU, roku, or smartphone. I  installed on an older computer with a Core2 processor and 4GB of RAM, should have been plenty by their requirements. It completely overwhelmed the CPU and locked the machine every time I tried to stream, so it was a no-go for me. I just got a new desktop with an i5 processor, so I may try it again just to see. I never really got to experiment with the service since my dinky computer freaked out whenever I tried to use it.

Around the Network

I'm guessing those of us unlucky enough to live in the UK can't get this service..? Have any Brits tried this yet..?

Just tried it using my new computer as the 'server', it works fine from there, but the picture looks like crap on my 60" TV even though playon is set to the max quality setting. Hulu+ and Netflix apps have a much better quality picture. I have a 22Mbps internet connection.

I've been using PlayOn for years, mostly for a set-top box and sometimes for PS3. All it does is relay streaming web content from PC channels to whatever else device you want. That means the quality is going to be the same as what's on the web streams, which is good for some sites and bad for others, so results will vary.

I mainly used it for Drama Fever and Crunchyroll plugins, though most everything has a CR app now.

oh my GOD. THIS is the SHIT!!!

This is the ultimate solution to my media needs. So far I've relied on windows media center and Netflix. I thought smart glass would make them user friendly but it doesn't support those apps. It doesn't even let you type in YouTube!

Now I have all my movie files on a Nintendo tablet plus shows. This alone makes the WiiU better that the competition. Thank you cusman!

Around the Network

i tried out the my media feature and was pleasantly surprised. i was able to stream my videos no problem at all. i also added all my pics and music to my media playlist.

it works well I have to say, I already have an ipad that I'd prefer to use for video steaming but it's nice that it works.

i will give this a crack as internationals dont get hulu lol.

as I figured nothing works fo rinternational people.

shame would have loved to see some sports channels haha.

beatles1082 said:
it works well I have to say, I already have an ipad that I'd prefer to use for video steaming but it's nice that it works.

Too bad the iPad doesn't turn on ur tv and control what gets displayed.

Nintendoes what others don't hehe