By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - why exactly do people think long consoles life's hurt the industry?

I agreed that it hurts the market, because an over saturated library of titles, will become a barrier for new ones to stand out at retail. Discounted games, used games, they will eat up a lot of the market share of the newer tittles. At the same time because of this abundance of old software (plus all the mega franchises that steal the spot light every year) innovation suffers, not so much because developers don't want to try new ideas, but because doing so will present a big risk, that could cost them there life, as sales may not be even close to their forecast numbers.

Around the Network

new consoles breath a sense of excitement and life into the industry. the misconception that longer console life cycles hurts the industry is simply preposterous.

it should be cheaper to create games on this gens systems by now, and publishers/devs should be making profit, regardless of how low software sales are.

software sales aren't low enough to where profit isn't being made.

gergroy said:
The reason why a long generation can hurt the industry has to do with the library of the consoles. The longer a console is on the market, the bigger library it develops. These game developers keep pumping out games, but the more games that are out the more choices the consumer has and the less likely their games can sell as well.

It is great for gamers, but for developers that need their games to crack almost a million to make a profit, it makes it much harder. The big AAA games don't have a problem, but some of the smaller games start getting lost in the shuffle.

I mean, look at Sony's exclusives this year. If they had been launched on a newer console with a more limited library, they probably would have sold a lot better, especially playstation all stars. Still not sure why Sony didn't wait until their next system launch to bring out that IP...

That is a really good point!  It's like today if you write a play - you are still competing with Shakespear. 

Plus there is that 'shiny newness' that excietes consumer with a new console launch.  And people want to collect new games for their system.

But also consumers have more money for games, if they aren't having to shell out the money for a new console.  So I can see it going both ways, but self competing with older and used games, I can see being a major problem for developers.

Why buy Black Ops 2 new, when I can get Modern Warefare 3 AND Black Ops (original) for about the same price used.

Really not sure I see any point of Consol over PC's since Kinect, Wii and other alternative ways to play have been abandoned. 

Top 50 'most fun' game list coming soon!

Tell me a funny joke!