By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Current vs Last, a Console Sales Story (COMPLETE!)

Final Smash: Should somone one do this at the start of every gen?

yes 65 75.58%

no 3 3.49%

show me the money! 7 8.14%

Total:75

Yeah, its kinda sad how launches aligned it appears the sustained sales of last gen this early on were clearly better than this gen.

I wonder if this gen will end up overall selling far less total hardware.

Around the Network

I thought it was a general consensus that this gen would sell less than gen 7?

I'm on Twitter @DanneSandin!

Furthermore, I think VGChartz should add a "Like"-button.

DanneSandin said:

Every gen has surpassed others. I don't see logically why this won't. Which is why I'm kinda surprised its starting so slowly.

RolStoppable said:
Now that it is confirmed that the Xbox One has tanked, it's also clear how important it is for the PS4 to cannibalize Microsoft's console. Shouldn't be too much of a challenge with the PS4 being on its way to be the go-to system when it comes to multiplatform games. That makes the Xbox One a lot more dependent on exclusives of which there are few.

As for the poll, I picked the PS4 will miss by more than a million. At this point in time a really easy prediction to make.

1) yeah I was hoping it would stay higher longer as I didn't want to pull down poll until E3. Gonna have to do it early.

2) you never know how big PS4 will be post-E3 and this holiday. It still has a chance.

superchunk said:
DanneSandin said:

Every gen has surpassed others. I don't see logically why this won't. Which is why I'm kinda surprised its starting so slowly.

Yes, that's true but judging from this forum it seemed as if everyone was agreeing that this gen < gen7, and that trend is also very clear in handhelds

Around the Network
RolStoppable said:
Now that it is confirmed that the Xbox One has tanked, it's also clear how important it is for the PS4 to cannibalize Microsoft's console. Shouldn't be too much of a challenge with the PS4 being on its way to be the go-to system when it comes to multiplatform games. That makes the Xbox One a lot more dependent on exclusives of which there are few.

As for the poll, I picked the PS4 will miss by more than a million. At this point in time a really easy prediction to make.

Yeah it'll be quite interesting to see how well Xbox will do when it's an established house hold name AND has to rely heavily on exclusives. This should be a walk in the park for PS4

RolStoppable said:

Don't be stupid.

As for point 2 in your response to me: Don't be stupid.

I know you were sure WiiU would tank. But you really knew before the gen started that this gen would be lower total hardware sales than previous? For the first time in console history?

superchunk said:
DanneSandin said:

The Wii U and Vita both tanking hard compared to the Wii and PSP, and 3DS doing ok but still very far from the DS, basically already guaranteed this gen will see lower sales even if both the PS4 and X1 ended up selling 150 million each.

JGarret said:

The Wii U and Vita both tanking hard compared to the Wii and PSP, and 3DS doing ok but still very far from the DS, basically already guaranteed this gen will see lower sales even if both the PS4 and X1 ended up selling 150 million each.

Sorry, I wasn't including portables... needed to be specific on that one.

RolStoppable said:

Yes, because the two things go hand in hand. If the one factor responsible for growth in the seventh generation (Nintendo) self-destructs while the other two factors are going to remain constant (Sony and Microsoft), then the logical conclusion is a decline. Of course, the prerequisite for this simplified analysis is the knowledge about why console gaming kept growing in previous generations. If all factors for growth are eliminated or stall, then that marks the end of a growth period.

See, I anticipated WiiU / PS4 to do much better while Xbone stays on par.

However, when I realized WiiU tanked and before Xbone launched knew it wouldn't be on par, I figured PS4 would be PS2-ish and go crazy with sales. Which that could still happen. Meaning WiiU less than GC, Xbone more (~double) than Xbox and less than X360, but PS4 approaching PS2 or more.

Though I agree logically, even that would be overall less than last gen, but more than gen6.

Yeah, I guess when you really think about it, there is no other outcome with any real probability of happening.