By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Right when we get some new, great looking footage it's followed up by this news...

Around the Network

wtf man smh!

Typical Nintendo.

Iwata makes a big fuss about the post-launch period being incredibly important.

Nintendo quietly delays the two big games they had for Q1 2013 (Pikmin 3 and Wonderful 101).

Which will then be followed by the inevitable Iwata apology when sales hit the skids next year.

Looks like its heavily beefed up the graphics. I'm thinking Nintendo realizes all the whiners about 'next-gen' graphics and is focusing on making it look like you're actually small and walking in / under grass and stuff. That latest video linked above is already amazing looking. If they also beef up the character models and add even more tech.. man on man there will be no argument at WiiU's capabilities.

Personally, beyond fanboy arguments, I don't care and just want a great game like the other Pikmins. Though I thought the game was basically complete so I really can't think of any other reason for a delay from Q1 to Q2. Unless its a request to not be directly competing with a 3rd party and the summer months will likely have nothing else of importance.

superchunk said:
Looks like its heavily beefed up the graphics. I'm thinking Nintendo realizes all the whiners about 'next-gen' graphics and is focusing on making it look like you're actually small and walking in / under grass and stuff. That latest video linked above is already amazing looking. If they also beef up the character models and add even more tech.. man on man there will be no argument at WiiU's capabilities.

Personally, beyond fanboy arguments, I don't care and just want a great game like the other Pikmins. Though I thought the game was basically complete so I really can't think of any other reason for a delay from Q1 to Q2. Unless its a request to not be directly competing with a 3rd party and the summer months will likely have nothing else of importance.

It looks better with butterflys flying around and what not, but I honestly wouldn't put that in the top 10 of PS3 graphics. It's nothing that special. It looks pleasant though. I will be dissapointed if EAD Tokyo's game (Mario 3D) and Retro's games don't take a giant dump on this visually.  

Pikmin 3 likely simply is not complete enough to be released on time. Pikmin is not a big enough potential seller for Nintendo to give it a giant budget to be some kind of super-visual showcase. 

Around the Network

Maybe it's just me but I think the footage shown today looks a lot better than the E3 demo. Glad Nintendo is also making improvements in the graphics.

Nintendo and PC gamer

superchunk said:

Nintendo should never bow to a 3rd party request after leaving the 3DS launch period up for third parties.  3DS didn't take off till they dropped MK7 and Super Mario 3D Land.  Nintendo can't count on third parties and they shouldn't allow them any special grace periods.  Nintendo games sell Nintendo consoles.

Soundwave said:

It looks better with butterflys flying around and what not, but I honestly wouldn't put that in the top 10 of PS3 graphics. It's nothing that special. It looks pleasant though. I will be dissapointed if EAD Tokyo's game (Mario 3D) and Retro's games don't take a giant dump on this visually.  

Pikmin 3 game likely simply is not complete enough to be released on time. Pikmin is not a big enough potential seller for Nintendo to give it a giant budget to be some kind of super-visual showcase. 

Uncharted series is generally argued as a great or one of best looking PS3 game series. I've played them all on a 1080p TV with high quality HDMIs.

There are elements in that Pikmin3 video (surroundings, water, light, fire, etc) that easily match or beat anything in the Uncharted games. Now, the many character models like Olimar or the pikmin etc are not super great, but I was only referring to the environment.

sethnintendo said:

Nintendo should never bow to a 3rd party request after leaving the 3DS launch period up for third parties.  3DS didn't take off till they dropped MK7 and Super Mario 3D Land.  Nintendo can't count on third parties and they shouldn't allow them any special grace periods.  Nintendo games sell Nintendo consoles.

Definitely agree. But that may be what is happening with these games... just maybe.

superchunk said:
sethnintendo said:

Definitely agree. But that may be what is happening with these games... just maybe.

I believe it is more about spreading the release dates out for Nintendo published games.  Would it have been cool if they released Nintendo Land, NSMBU, and Pikmin 3 at launch?  Sure but one of those titles would have been neglected for the others.  The only time you can count on third party companies is mainly during the holiday season (not always the case but usually).  So saving a game like Pikmin 3 for the slower Spring and Summer season makes sense to me.  No one else is going to be a releasing a key IP during that time usually.  Nintendo must carry itself during the slow months and if third parties want to jump onboard during the holiday season then so be it.  This is why I believe they held off Animal Crossing for the 3DS in Europe and USA.  Animal Crossing is making a killing in Japan and would have helped the 3DS a decent amount this holiday season if it was released worldwide.  However, AC might be able to carry the 3DS even better with a Spring release date for Europe/Americas.