By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - I think Sony is onto something with PSN Plus and I'll explain why.

I believe PSN+ could be a future sales booster for new games on the PS3. Most of the people who are playing the free games on PSN Plus probably have never played them before and playing those games preps people for their sequels later on. Before Resident Evil 6 came out, Sony gave away Resident Evil 5 away for free for a limited time. I beat it with my rooommate and we had lots of fun so we both pitched in to get Resident Evil 6. Now they have given away Bioshock 2, and I've never played that either, so I am going to buy the first Bioshock tomorrow so I can enjoy both in the same month and Infinite next year. This could really be a sales booster for Sony's retail titles. Without the Playstation Battle Royale Beta, even less people would've purchased the game at launch, but a lot of people got to see how truly fun the game is (That game is going to be a slow seller but it will profit even though not many people know about Plus). Thank goodness for it because the value is great if you haven't played certain games. I believe in January, they might launch one of the  Devil May Cry games for free.

Around the Network

The best thing out of this gen. What an amazing service this is.

A service for the gamers that is actually worth the price.

yea its definitely profitable. I guess its kind of like onlive as in people pay a subscription for a range of free games. except sony only have to pay for a crapload less games than a full streaming service with every game on the market

i already have bioshock 2 but because i have ps+, i can download the digital version. ps+ is a great service.
oh you forgot Borderlands 1. it came out before Borderlands 2 and if it wasn't for ps+ i probably wouldn't have bought Borderlands 2.

Around the Network

I would like to see next gen something like the service we have now plus PS1,PS2,PSP & Ps3 games streaming and DLC free for first part games if you have like a Diamond subscription of like £4.99 a month. That would be fantastic!

yum123 said:
yea its definitely profitable. I guess its kind of like onlive as in people pay a subscription for a range of free games. except sony only have to pay for a crapload less games than a full streaming service with every game on the market

Onlive sucks. I tried it and hated it.

PSN+ does not interest me in the slightest. I'd much rather just get random sales than pay for a subscription to "free" games that I'll lose if I end my subscription.

To me games are not a service. They are products for me to purchase and I don't want o purchase anything temporary. It's more like an extremely limited rental service.

The "free" games on PSN+ are more like rentals. But you don't get to pick them out. Sony picks some games and allows you to download and play them. Who say's I wanted those games? Maybe I want different games. Subscribers are paying for access to these "free" games regardless of if they get any games that interest them.

If PSN+ was more like Netflix, meaning that you pay a monthly fee to access 1 or 2 games a month but have access to the entire catalog of games, I could at least see the value. But as the service is right now, I just don't want to spend money on access to games Sony picks for me and sales on stuff I may not want.

i always thought that's one of the reasons, same with the thq humble bundle right now. not only will they make few millions with it, they have many people now who play darksiders 1, company of heroes and metro. one game got a successor and the others will get one anytime soon (coh2 got a first gameplay trailer one week ago oh what a wonder) and all the games will probably sell better now and let's face it, those games they give away for few bucks would not really sell anymore so it's just good advertisement for the new games. same with many ps+ games so it's not really a loss to give them away for so cheap (most of those games are also super cheap at retail and there you have shipping and other costs included which you don't have as digital game)

I'm one of those people that prefer their games in a physical form. I am glad that you see and find value in the service and in the end you will most likely gain more features down the road, but for me I always try to find the physical copy if I can (that's why I waited and got the Journey collector's edition.)

P.S. If you wait 2 months you get Bioshock 1 for free if you buy Bioshock Infinite for PS3. :)

don't waste time

3DS FC 4914-3563-4510

NNID : turtuls