By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Google is building a touchscreen Chromebook

The publication China Times has reported that a Google-branded Chromebook with touch-screen functionality is currently gearing up for production.

Apparently, the new touch-enabled model will feature a 12.85-inch screen and brand new manufacturers. Taiwanese manufacturer Compal will build the new Chromebook and Wintek will provide the touch panel display, China Times reports.

Rumor has it that Google is planning on building 20 million units and the likely ship date is early 2013.

Around the Network

Can't wait to buy one. The latest Samsung was/is really nice, but a Nexus version would likely be perfect.

kowenicki said:
I'd rather they pay some tax first.

Then tell the republicans to quit creating loopholes for their rich buddies. (I recognize this isnt' a political thread and its not all R's and there are surely many D's with lined pockets that help rich/corps) This is why I wanted Ron Paul. No one else in the running would even consider fixing anything that really needs to be fixed. Can't blame Google for filing their taxes according to how the law is written.

sorry for the OT...

Did...did they just say "touch-enabled"?

HOLY SHIT!!!

Seriously though, one has to wonder what is so special about it. The Google brand itself?

i only see dallas on vgc to advertise google products or to talk in google/microsoft/apple/nokia threads how bad they are doing compared to google or how bad it is to work together with microsoft as mobile phone producer. so, are you a google employee or just the biggest google fan on earth?

Around the Network

Can someone explain to me why anyone would want to use a Chromebook? I really just don't see the point (I see why Google wants me to buy it, but I don't see what's in it for me).

IIIIITHE1IIIII said:
Did...did they just say "touch-enabled"?

HOLY SHIT!!!

Seriously though, one has to wonder what is so special about it. The Google brand itself?

Nexus devices are the best Android devices you can get. Simply the best experience overall. (btw, Chrome/Chromebooks/Android are all merging in case some of you didn't know... thus "Nexus" will be Google's brand across everything)

kowenicki said:

While I can't say I disagree with the sentiment, I can say I'm surprised to find it on this site. Used to seeing it on the BBC and the newspaper sites I use, just seems odd to see it here.

superchunk said:

Then tell the republicans to quit creating loopholes for their rich buddies. (I recognize this isnt' a political thread and its not all R's and there are surely many D's with lined pockets that help rich/corps) This is why I wanted Ron Paul. No one else in the running would even consider fixing anything that really needs to be fixed. Can't blame Google for filing their taxes according to how the law is written.

He's refering to the UK system, although I supose you replace 'republicans' with 'conservatives' and the message still fits.

OT: I don't see how a touchscreen laptop would really work. I would always just default to the keyboard and seems quite pointless if all I'm going to do is use the screen to open an app. Better left to smartphones and tablets.

ebw said:
Can someone explain to me why anyone would want to use a Chromebook? I really just don't see the point (I see why Google wants me to buy it, but I don't see what's in it for me).

There is no reason, for most people, to need "Windows".

I've been using solely Chrome and its Chrome Market for months now for 100% of everything I do outside of work. I have yet to find a reason to need Windows at home or for my kids school or my brothers school (college).

Google has services that cover most anything, plus the Chrome App Store or Market or whatever its called has apps that run solely in Chrome that cover pretty much anyone's needs.

Are there cases where it won't work for an individual use? of course. But that is not the mass market anymore. Most people just do online/few docs and that's about it. I'd bet that is easily over 80% of the non-workplace userbase.

However, please don't list stupid things you think or know won't work. Its pointless. Instead open Chrome and search its market to see what you can or can't do and determine if that will work for you.

If it does, the benefits are:

• lower upfront costs for a more powerful computer
  • very little to zero chance of viruses and other malware
  • extreme integration with Android/Google (for Google services users of course)
  • very quick shut down/start up times
  • no data loss possibility as its all backed up in the free google cloud (use google docs format and google plus for pics/vids and you have infinite free storage)
  • probably more I'm just not thinking of

Point is, if you want a light and great laptop... you should see if Chrome only is a good fit for you.

kowenicki said:
SecondWar said:
kowenicki said:

While I can't say I disagree with the sentiment, I can say I'm surprised to find it on this site. Used to seeing it on the BBC and the newspaper sites I use, just seems odd to see it here.

superchunk said:

He's refering to the UK system, although I supose you replace 'republicans' with 'conservatives' and the message still fits.

OT: I don't see how a touchscreen laptop would really work. I would always just default to the keyboard and seems quite pointless if all I'm going to do is use the screen to open an app. Better left to smartphones and tablets.

Actually you'd have to replace "republicans" with "EU regulations and tax system".  Its a Euro rule that allows this fucking disgraceful situation to exist.

yeah we have the same problems in germany with american companies (not sure if we talk about the same problem haha)