By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Enough with Metacritic!

By the way I agree with the point. Using the opinion of somebody else that may not even have the level of experience you do in the series or even genre over your own is bat shit stupid

Around the Network

I used metacritic.. along with my own mind to make decisions..

People who gets offended by it is the problem.. no like? dont use!.. simple..

What I don't like about people using Metacritic for both arguments and game purchasing decisions is that Metacritic, for most people, has no context. A few bad reviewers can drag a games score down even if the game really is spectacular. Most people just look at the combined score and it's far too difficult to wade through all the reviews and disregard the trash ones. Metacritic is just too flawed to be taken seriously. Halo 4 is the best Halo game yet it has one of the lowest scores in the series. That is preposterous.

Xxain said:

JoeTheBro said:
Metacritic's problem is reviewers like something new. Take the littlebigplanet series for example. Each sequel, yes LBPV I'm considering a sequel, is undoubtedly better than the last yet each one scores lower and lower. LBP2 is 100% no questions asked better than the first since it even includes the first game yet it has a lower metacritic score. That right there is all the proof you need that Metacritic is far from perfect.

This is not correct. This opinion assumes that expectations remain stagnant. Final Fantasy 7 is a fantastic JRPG for its time but nowhere great by todays standards( love it still) and would not fare the same way if it was made today like the way that it is. I used Final Fantasy 7 to help paint my point though its more dramatic than LBP to LBP2. LB2 Is definitely better than 1 but how much better than1or other platformers as whole?. Not just about comparison to its predecessor.

So by that logic metacritic scores should decay over time. Some parts of me agree, but other parts see the problems with this. Then again I think metacritic is already flawed so it doesn't matter.

@BOLD That irks me. If a sequel is better than its first, it should score better regardless of the competition. If we end up with twenty 90+ platformers in a year, we only need to stretch out their scores still keeping the same relative position.

Sounds like you have a problem with that Halo guy. :P

Kidding, anyways metacritic never really works debating quality, only thing it really tells you whether a game is terrible or not. (In most cases).

Around the Network
JoeTheBro said:
Metacritic's problem is reviewers like something new. Take the littlebigplanet series for example. Each sequel, yes LBPV I'm considering a sequel, is undoubtedly better than the last yet each one scores lower and lower. LBP2 is 100% no questions asked better than the first since it even includes the first game yet it has a lower metacritic score. That right there is all the proof you need that Metacritic is far from perfect.

In that sense every COD should score higher than the previous one since each iteration makes small improvements to the formula.

UltimateUnknown said:
JoeTheBro said:

In that sense every COD should score higher than the previous one since each iteration makes small improvements to the formula.

Yes, they should. If we use metacritic to tell us which game is best then COD needs to score higher and higher.

The focus on metascore is completely and utterly ridiculous this gen, I agree. For me, a metascore is as important as the smell of the head developers' farts.

A score simply says nothing on how much you will enjoy the game and I have never experienced loathing so many highly praised games as in the 7th gen, the list is unfathomably long up until now.

The LBP 1 and Uncharted 2 metacritic rants bother me (yes I still get those).

However the system, not perfect, is the best system we got.

"Someone might like CODBlOPS: Declasified more than Uncharted 2, or Halo 4 and that's 100% valid"

That sentence is upsetting. This is why we use metacritic. Those people are wrong, their opinions are wrong, their tastes in gaming are wrong, and its every bodies job to tell them that they are wrong and play better games for their own good even if they dont see it themselves.

Xbox: Best hardware, Game Pass best value, best BC, more 1st party genres and multiplayer titles. 

I agree! for example ps all-stars has a 75 on metacritic but i'm enjoying the game so much that i can't believe!