By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - General Discussion - Recession - Thank you America.

Hurray the markets in Europe make profit again 1.5% =D.

Around the Network

Though I must add that I agree with the premise of the original post. The idea of Bush's to send out an 800 dollar tax refund is idiotic and will not help the economy at all.

Hurray for more debt! The US Government must be taking notes from MS and Sony ;)

I am a Gauntlet Adventurer.

I strive to improve my living conditions by hoarding gold, food, and sometimes keys and potions. I love adventure, fighting, and particularly winning - especially when there's a prize at stake. I occasionally get lost inside buildings and can't find the exit. I need food badly. What Video Game Character Are You?

Mega Man 9 Challenges: 74%

Waltz Tango Jitterbug Bust a move Headbanging
Bunny Hop Mr. Trigger Happy Double Trouble Mr. Perfect Invincible
Almost Invincible No Coffee Break Air Shoes Mega Diet Encore
Peacekeeper Conservationist Farewell To Arms Gamer's Day Daily Dose
Whomp Wiley! Truly Addicted! Truly Hardcore! Conqueror Vanquisher
Destroyer World Warrior Trusty Sidearm Pack Rat Valued Customer
Shop A Holic Last Man Standing Survivor Hard Rock Heavy Metal
Speed Metal Fantastic 9 Fully Unloaded Blue Bomber Eco Fighter
Marathon Fight Quick Draw G Quick Draw C Quick Draw S Quick Draw H
Quick Draw J Quick Draw P Quick Draw T Quick Draw M Quick Draw X
TalonMan said:
ManusJustusNardus said:

TheZ said:
Dbot said
Hate America all you want. Just know that we will be there for you no matter how ungrateful you are. When a country invades, or terrorists attack you, America will stand by you. No questions asked.

Amen

I hate to be the bearer of bad news but there is a big IF in that statement. If you are being attacked by a dictator or terrorists AND we have something to gain from helping you we will. I didn't see us complaining when we funded Osama bin Laden in Afghanistan against the Soviets or when we back up Israel when it uses attack helicopters to take out a lone target on a crowded civilian street, nor did I see us run to the rescue to stop any of the African genocides. Maybe we would have saved countries like Rwanda if they had oil...

This, right here, is why the US is stereotyped as 'world police', more than anything else. You never want us around when you're zipping down the highway at 95mph - but as soon as the shit hits the fan in your personal life, we're the first one people look for.

Do you remember Kosovo? What exactly did the US have to gain for ousting Slobodan? Or, is this selective exampling by you?

That was a NATO operation. European NATO members were concerned that the conflict would destabilize the region and lead to a broader European conflict, as Balkan wars have a history of doing. What the US gained was maintained stability in Europe, and maintained relations with NATO allies.

It was enlightened self-interest, but it was still self-interest. I don't want to appear like I'm critical of the action or the reasons behind it. Enlightened self-interest is the driver behind most multi-national institutions and many other good ideas.

"The worst part about these reviews is they are [subjective]--and their scores often depend on how drunk you got the media at a Street Fighter event."  — Mona Hamilton, Capcom Senior VP of Marketing
*Image indefinitely borrowed from BrainBoxLtd without his consent.

CHAVEZ TO THE RESCUE.

dbot said:
If you are going to blame America for the recession, you should probably thank us for the last 10 years of unprecedented economic growth.

Here's a statement with some meat to it. The export companies that are now getting burned for selling mostly to the US were obviously making some good money doing it. It's not good business to hate one of your best customers when he has financial trouble and can't buy your product anymore. When he gets back in the black, he may decide to shop somewhere more friendly...

It's not like the US created this recession to punish foreign export companies. The US itself will bear the brunt of this recession, so it seems kinda heartless to beat it up over taking some others down with it. "I told you so" may be a true statement, but nobody wants to hear it.

"The worst part about these reviews is they are [subjective]--and their scores often depend on how drunk you got the media at a Street Fighter event."  — Mona Hamilton, Capcom Senior VP of Marketing
*Image indefinitely borrowed from BrainBoxLtd without his consent.

Around the Network
StarcraftManiac said:
Lingyis said:
seems like people like to blame america when something goes wrong and rarely gives america credit when things do actually go right.

What exactly have they contributed to the rest of the world that is important in the last 10 years?

I can name a few bad things:

1) Not trying to reach the standards set by the KYOTO-protocol because of presure by Oil-corporations.

2) Iraq war.

3) Whining about Iraq having a nuke, invading them, and finding out they didn't have one... Whilst Israel isn't allowed to have one either but you don't here people complain about that because America backs them

4) American Kapitalism taking World Economy down.

5) Bush spreading hate throughout the Middle-East against the Western World (That includes Europe).

6) Depending on oil so much, not willing to invest on long term in environemental-friendly energyresources, pumping more then 50% of the World's CO2 into the air whilst only having about 1-15th of the Worlds population.

etc...etc...etc... 

Im not american, but there is no reason to be this childish.

On another not: this is why I don't buy stock :) 

hibikir said:
dbot said:
Hate America all you want. Just know that we will be there for you no matter how ungrateful you are. When a country invades, or terrorists attack you, America will stand by you. No questions asked. That is an unshakeable truth.

Yeah right. Just like America helped with the IRA, or with ETA in Spain.  Just like the US defended Tibet. And how it's doing a lot to help in Sudan.

Your worldview is a complete and total delusion. America intervenes when it helps America. The earlier you learn that, the better. 

You have no idea as to what my world view is.  I suspect from your comments that there is not a position that America can take that you will agree with.  America has a great history of aiding its allies, and I hope we continue that tradition despite comments such as yours.

Thanks for the input, Jeff.

The bottom line is without America the world doesn't function. This whining is ridiculous. We could rather say screw the world and mind our won business, but its not our fault that the only people that buys your products are American.

Sometimes I wish we would just let those whining countries suffer. I sometimes wonder why we even need to help the world. We could use all of our money to help our own, but being the passionate people we are we try and save everyone.

Iraq was a mistake, sure. You wont find many Americans that disagree, and really the best solution for America right now is to up and leave. If we do that however, it would be worse off than when we entered.

But hell your complaining that Americans are stuggling so they can't buy your countries products? SELL TO SOMEONE ELSE THEN! (ooh thats right you can't). If other countries would handle terrorist instead of allowing them to fester and build then we wouldn't have such an idiot as president. If America is hurting, everyone is hurting, so you need to keep us happy. How about another Statue of Liberty or something? We LOOOOOOVE presents!

"Recession - Thank you America."

You're welcome. Thank you for all your previous support.

Oh wait...

Witty signature here...

Wii: 14 million by January  I sold myself short

360: 13 million by January I sold microsoft short, but not as bad as Nintendo.

PS3: 6 million by January. If it approaches 8 mil i'll eat crow  Mnn Crow is yummy.

With these results, I've determined that I suck at long term predictions, and will not long term predict anything ever again. Thus spaketh Crono.

*~Onna76~* said:

dbot said:
Hate America all you want. Just know that we will be there for you no matter how ungrateful you are. When a country invades, or terrorists attack you, America will stand by you. No questions asked. That is an unshakeable truth.

May I remind you that in Afghanistan for instance Dutch troops are there to help your butts out, as the US asked us? And therefore we're losing men as well, while our men don't have to be there.... at all?! We're doing this to help you guys out, as we're your allies, like many other troups from all around the world. And we're taking a major risk as we're just as much threatened by those guys out there, but still... we stand by you "too".

Thank you.  I did not mean to imply otherwise.

Thanks for the input, Jeff.