By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - PS3 UP YOY in USA with NO big exclusives. What gives?

Why was the PS3 up YOY in USA during BF week?

Great bundle deals and discounts 198 45.41%

New exclusive games (All ... 21 4.82%

More PS3 advertising 15 3.44%

A combination of multiple factors 136 31.19%

Other 16 3.67%

See results 48 11.01%

Total:434
pezus said:
sales2099 said:
pezus said:
sales2099 said:
pezus said:
sales2099 said:
Oh ya....the 20 gig PS3 in Europe for a super cheap price.

Its been established that PS3 exclusives arent system sellers unless its GT. Hardware and price determines PS3 YOY growth

What does Europe have to do with BF sales?

And no, that has not been established.

Oh my bad. But the second line can be explained via the Halo 4 outselling all PS3 exclusives thread.

Who the fuck am I talking to? Hardly recognized you with that avatar

Edit: And now you changed again!

You want my actual picture or this Halo one?

I couldn't really tell what was happening in that other one, it was so small.

How about now? Im a Bro-lite with gaming/geek tendencies :)

Xbox: Best hardware, Game Pass best value, best BC, more 1st party genres and multiplayer titles. 

Around the Network
kowenicki said:
thismeintiel said:
kowenicki said:

Massively. 

Some Sony fans actually believe numbers can rise forever.  Its laughable and quite tragic.  I've got ethomaz in another thread stating the PS3 will sell more in Europe in the next 4 years than it has in the previous 4 years to now!?!? I mean.... WTF!?

What would you consider "massive."  I predict its going to be ~10% down next year, maybe even flat during Black Friday week.  Reasons being a full year of Super Slim effect, a cut to $199 (probably mid-year), a lot more AAA exclusives compared to this year, and a $150 Black Friday bundle.

It will finish this year down circa 20% and a similar amount next year.

I'm expecting that the PS3 should end with ~12M in sales (after adjustments) this year, so ~15% down overall.  However, for the reasons I stated above, I think it would really only drop a max of 10% next year.  So ~10.8M for the year.  I also see the 360 being down ~20% next year, so ~8.4M next year.

man-bear-pig said:
The X360 is facing market saturation which is causing its sales to decrease. The PS3, however, doesn't have market saturation yet and is still experiencing good sales.

Xbox 360 market saturation is happening more in Europe and Japan, then in the U.S. Also, everyone know the next XBox is coming out next year and are saving thei money for that. No one knows when the PS4 is coming out and their new PS3 Slim with a bundle sold well during BF. The PS3 is still the best Blu-Ray player on the market, especially in Europe. A lot of people are buying it for that reason alone.

It'll be interesting to see what happens next year when the next XBox is launched with Blu-Ray inside. The PS3 will eventually catch the XBox 360 and the main reason this will happen is because of Japan where the XBox 360 doesn't compete. Remove Japan from the equation and add up the sales between PS3 & XBox 360. Who has the most sales. Basically the PS3 has a 3 market and the XBox 360 doesn't. So it was pretty easy for the PS3 to slowly catch up to the 360. That's pretty much the only reason.

'gaming till I'm gone'

even with heavy bundle playstation is down year on year

Yeah looks like NPD shot this thread all to hell - lmao.

WII Code: 1732 3363 1704 6441

Around the Network
XanderZane said:
man-bear-pig said:
The X360 is facing market saturation which is causing its sales to decrease. The PS3, however, doesn't have market saturation yet and is still experiencing good sales.

Xbox 360 market saturation is happening more in Europe and Japan, then in the U.S. Also, everyone know the next XBox is coming out next year and are saving thei money for that. No one knows when the PS4 is coming out and their new PS3 Slim with a bundle sold well during BF. The PS3 is still the best Blu-Ray player on the market, especially in Europe. A lot of people are buying it for that reason alone.

It'll be interesting to see what happens next year when the next XBox is launched with Blu-Ray inside. The PS3 will eventually catch the XBox 360 and the main reason this will happen is because of Japan where the XBox 360 doesn't compete. Remove Japan from the equation and add up the sales between PS3 & XBox 360. Who has the most sales. Basically the PS3 has a 3 market and the XBox 360 doesn't. So it was pretty easy for the PS3 to slowly catch up to the 360. That's pretty much the only reason.

ok remove US from the equation and PS3 is way ahead.  You can't just eliminate a whole region.

Get Your Portable ID!Lord of Ratchet and Clank

Duke of Playstation Plus

Warden of Platformers

mitlar37 said:
Yeah looks like NPD shot this thread all to hell - lmao.

This thread is about UP the BF week... not NPD month... in fact the PS3 is UP in BF week.

Acordding with NPD and Sony...

Week 1: ~60k (down yoy)
Week 2: ~60k (down yoy) 
Week 3: ~60k (down yoy) 
Week 4: 525k  (up yoy)

November: ~700k (down yoy).

pezus said:
ZaneWane said:
even with heavy bundle playstation is down year on year

At least they didn't drop the price temporarily to still be down a lot YOY...

retailer and sony dropped priced to 199 dollar with heavy bundled

The DS was the only platform to increase in hardware.

http://www.gamespot.com/news/npd-black-ops-ii-tops-declining-november-6401206

pezus said:
Nsanity said:

The DS was the only platform to increase in hardware.

http://www.gamespot.com/news/npd-black-ops-ii-tops-declining-november-6401206

"I'm sure you're all aware of the recent news that PS3 did 525k during BF week and the ecosystem (hardware, software, peripherals) was up 9% YOY. "

But overall its still down from last year.