By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - PS3 UP YOY in USA with NO big exclusives. What gives?

Why was the PS3 up YOY in USA during BF week?

Great bundle deals and discounts 198 45.41%

New exclusive games (All ... 21 4.82%

More PS3 advertising 15 3.44%

A combination of multiple factors 136 31.19%

Other 16 3.67%

See results 48 11.01%

Total:434

You don't really need exclusives in year 6 of a console cycle, the back catalog is good enough, plus the PS3 gets the annual Call of Dutys/FIFAs/etc.

The audience that buys a PS3 for "exclusives" (which have basically been whittled down to internal Sony projects like Uncharted and LittleBigPlanet) is pretty small actually I'd imagine.

Uncharted sells to like what ... 5 million per iteration of the 70 million PS3 userbase? Having something like "Last of Us" probably wouldn't have made a big difference this holiday. Call of Duty, FIFA, Final Fantasy, Madden NFL, Battlefield, Need For Speed ... these are the important franchises for the Playstation and they keep getting those.

Around the Network

gives that ps3 is a beast!

@slowmo: Dont give in to the bullying.

Nsanity said:
@slowmo: Dont give in to the bullying.

Don't worry I'm used to it.  I'm done with the thread, I've said my opinion and now the insults seem to have stopped. 

@Pezus - LOL

Superslim model (more important than games in my opinion) + sexy bundles.

Fanatismo não leva a nada, apenas a colecionar antipatias.

Collection: Telejogo Ford-Philco, Dactar, TV Game 2600, Master System (2x), Master System Portable, NES, Dynavision 3, Mega Drive 3 (2x - Tectoy and Show Do Milhao Edition), Genesis 3, Genesis Arcade Motion, MD Play, SNES (2x), Super Famicom, Neo Geo CD, 3DO, Saturn, Playstation, Nintendo 64 (2x), Dreamcast, Playstation 2, Game Cube, Xbox, Zeebo, Playstation 3, Xbox 360 (Kinect Bundle), Wii (2x - White and Red), Game Boy Pocket, Game Boy Color, Game Boy Advance, DS Lite, 3DS, Vita, Wii U, Playstation 4 and Xbox One. Around 800 games. Preferred Generation: 16 bits. 

Around the Network
slowmo said:
thismeintiel said:

And your posts have nothing to do with the PS3 being the only console up YOY on Black Friday week, so what's your point?

My posts did have, but it's clear to see your a little upset with me for pointing out the obvious...

Obviously, you're the only one who's upset here. You've been in here threatening people with reporting them for simply offering a counterpoint to your position. You should really try just congratulating Sony for this achievement and move on.  It's quite therapeutic, actually. This will be my last response on the subject, as it's gone on long enough.

And just to leave an on topic response, I can't wait to see numbers next year when there will be a $149 Black Friday bundle.

thismeintiel said:
slowmo said:
thismeintiel said:

And your posts have nothing to do with the PS3 being the only console up YOY on Black Friday week, so what's your point?

My posts did have, but it's clear to see your a little upset with me for pointing out the obvious...

Obviously, you're the only one who's upset here. You've been in here threatening people with reporting them for simply offering a counterpoint to your position. You should really try just congratulating Sony for this achievement and move on.  It's quite therapeutic, actually. This will be my last response on the subject, as it has gone on long enough.

And just to leave an on topic response, I can't wait to see numbers next year when there will be a $149 Black Friday bundle.

I didn't threaten, I did report those posts, it's only a threat if you don't act upon it.  There's quite a difference between stating a intent and stating a course of action, of course apologies if English isn't your first language.  The reason the definition is important is that to threaten a user is actually against forum rules.

As for next years figures they will indeed be interesting and certainly down yoy.

Oh ya....the 20 gig PS3 in Europe for a super cheap price.

Its been established that PS3 exclusives arent system sellers unless its GT. Hardware and price determines PS3 YOY growth

Xbox: Best hardware, Game Pass best value, best BC, more 1st party genres and multiplayer titles. 

Because people now realize that it has the best and the most exclusives. 2013 will be absolutely terrific with The Last of Us, Tales of Xillia, Ni no Kuni, Toki to Wa, Atelier Ayesha, Beyond and perhaps VersusXIII.

kowenicki said:

Massively. 

Some Sony fans actually believe numbers can rise forever.  Its laughable and quite tragic.  I've got ethomaz in another thread stating the PS3 will sell more in Europe in the next 4 years than it has in the previous 4 years to now!?!? I mean.... WTF!?

What would you consider "massive."  I predict its going to be ~10% down next year, maybe even flat during Black Friday week.  Reasons being a full year of Super Slim effect, a cut to $199 (probably mid-year), a lot more AAA exclusives compared to this year, and a $150 Black Friday bundle.