By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - PS3 UP YOY in USA with NO big exclusives. What gives?

Why was the PS3 up YOY in USA during BF week?

Great bundle deals and discounts 198 45.41%

New exclusive games (All ... 21 4.82%

More PS3 advertising 15 3.44%

A combination of multiple factors 136 31.19%

Other 16 3.67%

See results 48 11.01%

Total:434
ninetailschris said:
Euphoria14 said:
It Only Does Everything

But cross game chat.

I didn't realize it couldn't do that till fairly recently.  That just seems to me embarrassingly negligent - even the Wii had some in game chat with Wii Speak (not that anyone used it.) 

In my opinion, in game chat is such a fundamental part of online gaming.  They will surly have this in the next PlayStation.

Really not sure I see any point of Consol over PC's since Kinect, Wii and other alternative ways to play have been abandoned. 

Top 50 'most fun' game list coming soon!

Tell me a funny joke!

Around the Network

looks like call of duty boosts PS3 sales alot more than people think. probably saw big boosts in europe too.

RolStoppable said:
I pick Wonderbook.

Yes, now you might wonder how a game that wasn't even released in the USA boosted hardware sales. But think about it. It's Wonderbook, so its absence was a plus point.

Ah, sneaky, sneaky!  I think you are right - it's the old PT Barnum trick of making people want something by not giving it to them.  They are all buying PS3's in hope that Wonderbook will be realeased soon!

PS Cartmant tried it for his amusement park. http://www.southparkstudios.com/clips/152804/cartmanland-commercial

Really not sure I see any point of Consol over PC's since Kinect, Wii and other alternative ways to play have been abandoned. 

Top 50 'most fun' game list coming soon!

Tell me a funny joke!

Zappykins said:

I didn't realize it couldn't do that till fairly recently.  That just seems to me embarrassingly negligent - even the Wii had some in game chat with Wii Speak (not that anyone used it.) 

In my opinion, in game chat is such a fundamental part of online gaming.  They will surly have this in the next PlayStation.

I think you're confusing in game chat with cross game chat.  

In game chat is the ability to talk to others in the same game as you.  PS3 has this feature.

Cross game chat is the ability to talk to others who are not in the same game as you.  Wii does not have this feature.

A pro sony thread- typical. A bunch of Sony bashers- Typical. Oh well whatever.

OT: It would appear to me that Sony is increasing their marketing for the holidays as opposed to the rest of the year. So when big weeks like BF and christmas come they are up YoY. That or people who bought 360 already want a cheapish PS3.

Around the Network

well its good to be up on the week,must be price and bundles for BF

Above & Beyond

slowmo said:
VGKing said:
slowmo said:
So ultimately despite all the talk in here it still has been massively outsold by the 360 and will not sell more than it for the entire holiday season despite having a new model available and loads of Bundles?

We could do the favourite thing of Sony fans and do launch alignment sales in the US but that makes it look even worse as it means the 360 sold 100% more then, strange how that's not brought up in these threads.

I would say the reason it is up is due to the new model and aggressive bundling and pricing by Sony for BF. I expect sales to be back down yoy as the deals expire imo

don't be a hypocrite. MS had a $50 price cut on bundles for weeks now yet it was still massively down YoY. 

Reported.  I never said anything about Microsoft strategy so don't see how I'm a hypocrite.

Wow, the amount of butthurt in this thread is incredible.  Now, people are trying to have others banned for stating facts.  Good luck with that ban attempt, btw.

@ PS3 fans

I wouldn't be too harsh on these guys.  Hell, wouldn't even report them.  They're just adjusting to the fact that the 360 isn't going to make up nearly as much ground as it did last year and the gap will only continue to decrease until it isn't there.

UnknownFact said:
I read 7 pages and there was still no agreement on this, lol. But like some people said, it gotta be the cheap slim bundles.

@OP: I voted for a combination of multiple factors. Obviously great bundle deals and discounts and better advertising (*) had probably the most imporrtant role, but they weren't the only factors.

(*) Edit: and Slimmer Slim, obviously, how could I overlook it...

Stwike him, Centuwion. Stwike him vewy wuffly! (Pontius Pilate, "Life of Brian")
A fart without stink is like a sky without stars.
TGS, Third Grade Shooter: brand new genre invented by Kevin Butler exclusively for Natal WiiToo Kinect. PEW! PEW-PEW-PEW! 

PS3 finally achieved the magical pricepoint of being under 199, if this was MSRP it would be flying off the shelves all day everyday and not just holiday.