By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Creating New IPs Dilutes Nintendo's Franchise Output

Nintendo has released a lot of new IP's in the last years.
But there are two problems:
1. Those new IP's are not as big as the old ones (logically, taking in count that some of those have even 25 years)
2. The big ones like Wii Sports and Wii Fit are just hated because aren't AAA/blockbuster/cinematic or whatever other reason.

Also, 3DS has to much Mario:
Super Mario 3D Land, Mario Kart 7, Mario Tennis, New Super Mario Bros 2, Paper Mario and next year Luigi Mansion.

Proud to be the first cool Nintendo fan ever

Number ONE Zelda fan in the Universe

DKCTF didn't move consoles

Prediction: No Zelda HD for Wii U, quietly moved to the succesor

Predictions for Nintendo NX and Mobile

Around the Network

wrong, but i see your point. the key is not to create a multitude of new franchises. just enough to last the gen. like maybe 4, that should tide the base over until the next gen.

How about putting out a bajillion games with "Mario" in the title dilutes Nintendo's franchise output.

And notice that since Rare and Nintendo split, the number of totally new IPs introduced by Ninty has dropped sharply. What do they have over the last decade or so? Pikmin, Wii "Insert title here"... and that's about it for notable original games that don't have Mario, Zelda, Pokemon, Donkey Kong, etc in the title.

On 2/24/13, MB1025 said:
You know I was always wondering why no one ever used the dollar sign for $ony, but then I realized they have no money so it would be pointless.

super_etecoon said:

What means more to you: seeing your favorite franchises updated and reimagined with each generation, or  experiencing brand new games set in brand new worlds, particularly concerning Nintendo franchises? 

while i do have old favorites that i enjoy seeing revisited i think old IPs carry baggage in the form of fan expectations that limit innovation.

so i want both, but i certainly want some new IPs each gen and every IP has, imo, an expiration date.  stale after XX/XX/XXXX.

NightDragon83 said:
How about putting out a bajillion games with "Mario" in the title dilutes Nintendo's franchise output.

And notice that since Rare and Nintendo split, the number of totally new IPs introduced by Ninty has dropped sharply. What do they have over the last decade or so? Pikmin, Wii "Insert title here"... and that's about it for notable original games that don't have Mario, Zelda, Pokemon, Donkey Kong, etc in the title

Animal Crossing.

Although Rare was indeed an asset in its heyday, but it's arguable if Nintendo keeping Rare would have stopped Rare's decline (also arguable whether Nintendo sold Rare because they saw the fall coming, or because they peeved Rare off over their bad treatment of Conker's Bad Fur Day).

Monster Hunter: pissing me off since 2010.

Around the Network

I'd prefer more zelda and 3d mario rather then new ips, but il also be honnest, I wouldn't mind more games like xenoblade or last story which were both extremely good games.

Predictions for LT console sales:

PS4: 120M

XB1: 70M

WiiU: 14M

3DS: 60M

Vita: 13M

Nintendo does create new IPs they just aren't triple A console IPs. I found Pushmo to be a superb game and I wouldn't mind getting a Wii U sequel to Dillon's Rolling Western.

I would like to see a balance between both: old IP's mixed with new ones. And they don't even have to be new IP's for them to be new. I think it was Holo Dust that came up with the idea of making a game called Guardians of Zelda that employed more of a sneaky play style, similar to Uncharted. Old meets new. I liked the way he described it though.

But let's be fair; Nintendo has created 75 new IPs since 2000... Give credit where credits due.

I'm on Twitter @DanneSandin!

Furthermore, I think VGChartz should add a "Like"-button.

Mr Khan said:
NightDragon83 said:

And notice that since Rare and Nintendo split, the number of totally new IPs introduced by Ninty has dropped sharply. What do they have over the last decade or so? Pikmin, Wii "Insert title here"... and that's about it for notable original games that don't have Mario, Zelda, Pokemon, Donkey Kong, etc in the title

Animal Crossing.

Although Rare was indeed an asset in its heyday, but it's arguable if Nintendo keeping Rare would have stopped Rare's decline (also arguable whether Nintendo sold Rare because they saw the fall coming, or because they peeved Rare off over their bad treatment of Conker's Bad Fur Day).

I like to think of it as nintendo selling Rare because they started to slip...

I'm on Twitter @DanneSandin!

Furthermore, I think VGChartz should add a "Like"-button.

I think everyone here would rather have a combination of new installments of classic franchises, and brand new games with new worlds and characters. But Nintendo is a rather small company, and its development teams can only tackle so many projects. I think it will have to fall to companies like Retro and Monolith to produce some new IPs because Nintendo shouldn't move away from its best series. If we can get three new IPs for the Wii U I will be happy: one from Miyamoto-san; one from Retro; one from Monolith. I worry though that Retro will stay true to its name, and re-imagine a shelved series like it did with Metroid and Donkey Kong. So it might not have the manpower to create a new game.

It does seem like there are too many Mario games on 3DS, but I think that's only because it was so front-loaded.