By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - Windows 8 sells 40 million (Outpacing Windows 7)

Windows 8 sells 40 million

November 28, 2012 4:55AM PST
By Eddie Makuch, News Editor

Microsoft reveals life-to-date license sales for new operating system; number of licenses sold outpacing Windows 7.

Microsoft has sold 40 million Windows 8 licenses since the new operating system launched on October 26. Tami Reller, who took over as head of Windows following the departure of Steven Sinofsky, revealed the news during a presentation during the Credit Suisse 2012 Annual Technology Conference yesterday.

"The journey is just beginning," Reller said. "But I am pleased to announce today that we have sold 40 million Windows 8 licenses so far."

Microsoft did not divulge how those license sales were broken down, but did say Windows 8 is outpacing Windows 7 in terms of number of upgrades over the same period of time.

This news follows a report from last week in which a "trusted source" at Microsoft said sales of Windows 8 are "well below Microsoft's internal projections" and have even been spoken of as "disappointing."

By Eddie Makuch, News Editor

Eddie Makuch (Mack-ooh) is a News Editor at GameSpot. He lives in Connecticut, works out of the company's New York City office, and loves extra chunky peanut butter.

Around the Network

so it is below projections, but still is outselling W7; mmmm I wonder which their projections were?

I thought it was below expectations

Without order nothing can exist - without chaos nothing can evolve.

"I don't debate, I just give you that work"- Ji99saw

Ji99saw said:
I thought it was below expectations

It may be below what they thought it would do but it is still succeeding with flying colors.  

Heavenly_King said:
so it is below projections, but still is outselling W7; mmmm I wonder which their projections were?

It's MicroSoft!! They want the world!!!!! :D

Around the Network

Those are very respectable numbers even if it is below expectations.

I'm sure there's many people, like myself, waiting to see how Window's RT app development grows over the next year before getting a laptop/tablet hybrid that Windows 8 suits so well.

Next week our department make the switch to Windows 8.

you should change the thread titles... the upgrades from 7 to 8 are outpacing the vista to 7 upgrades.. (which is kinda dissappointing giving the upgrade price is way cheaper... ) overall 8 is selling at the same pace as 7..

http://arstechnica.com/information-technology/2012/11/windows-8-sales-are-good-if-not-great-at-40-million-copies-in-the-first-month/
"With Windows 8 selling 40 million copies in five weeks, it seems to be selling at about the same pace as Windows 7. "

Face the future.. Gamecenter ID: nikkom_nl (oh no he didn't!!) 

It will probably sell pretty much more at a good pace. but i do believe the great hardware that would have made it sell at a much larger pace isn't available in the market yet. So many devices were announced but only few are available to be purchased in stock.

I guess that trusted source, like most trusted sources, are not that trustful to be trusted as sources.