By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Ratchet and Clank: Full Frontal Assault Reviews Creeping In

http://www.metacritic.com/game/playstation-3/ratchet-clank-full-frontal-assault

Xbox: Best hardware, Game Pass best value, best BC, more 1st party genres and multiplayer titles. 

Around the Network

Uh oh, sales2099 is the OP, the reviews much be bad.

pezus said:
Insomniac really should get back to what they do best. They think games like Fuse are going to bring in money compared to R&C and Resistance, but I have to lol at that.

Unfortunately the whole company is suffering as a result of Fuse at the moment, in my opinion.  The main team are pursuing it in a rather misguided attempt to make a 'mainstream appeal' title.  I have no doubt that it's going to turn out as a fairly decent game, but they're alienating the Insomniac fans with it's new (no doubt EA forced) direction; while failing to draw in any of the CoD crowd that they seem to be aiming for.

Meanwhile, the North Carolina studio is left with the Ratchet & Clank games and they're just a bit of a mess in all honesty.  I'll happily believe that they're good developers but between this + All 4 One they've demonstrated that they're nowhere near the level of the Burbank team.  They keep trying to innovate the R&C series when it needs no innovation at all - fans are crying out for another universe-trotting adventure like "A Crack in Time" and we get this instead.  As a Ratchet fan, I am going to play & hopefully enjoy this, but it's not the Ratchet game I want to be playing.

Honestly, I'm such a big Insomniac fan but Ted Price really need to sort out his teams at the moment.  They're not getting the best of anything.  If I were them (and I am biased, so take this with a grain of salt), I would set the Burbank team on making a PS4 'proper' Ratchet game because even if it only sells 2 million or so those are 'guaranteed' sales - the fans will turn out for it and I'm sure Sony will happily fund it.  And I'd put their North Carolina team on a new project or something.  They're betting on Fuse becoming their next Resistance: Fall of Man, but I feel circumstance brought about the success of that game and they're not looking like repeating it with what they've made so far.

I'll happily be proved wrong though, I hope the game sells well and brings them lots of money, when they're good they're my favourite developers in the business so I wish them all the best!

Insomniac seem intent on changing the wheel, even shuffling tried and tested formulas around. They had the same problem with Resistance and although it continued to see favourable reviews, they didn't seem to know what to do with the series.

I'd be concerned about the future of the studio. Although they're expanding they seem to have no sense of direction.

Why keep changing something that wasn't broken?

iPhone = Great gaming device. Don't agree? Who cares, because you're wrong.

Currently playing:

Final Fantasy VI (iOS), Final Fantasy: Record Keeper (iOS) & Dragon Quest V (iOS)     

Got a retro room? Post it here!

Around the Network

I've always thought the R&C games were a jewel in Sony's line up. If the reviews are to be trusted, when did the series go downhill?

I'm not a fan of tower defence games. This might be the first R&C game that I'll skip. I would have been happy with another quest for booty type game. A crack of time universe to explore would have been excellent.

I still have the HD collection to keep me busy for a while, just as much fun as the first time. And maybe I'll finish all 4 one some day, still sounds better then tower defense. I'll download the demo, maybe it will change my mind.

shakarak said:
I've always thought the R&C games were a jewel in Sony's line up. If the reviews are to be trusted, when did the series go downhill?

Well, I suppose it's been going downhill since a Crack in Time  back in 2009. It scored (87/100) and was truly a great game.

Since then we've had All 4 One- (70/100) in 2011.

Now, Full frontal Assault may even score worse than All 4 One.

Sad panda.

shakarak said:

Crack in time was great, my favorite R&C clank since the series started. Then multiplayer pressure undid all the greatness with all 4 one. And even though they downplay the multiplayer in Frontal assault, it seems it's only going to be frustrating as a single player game.

Well at least they're trying new stuff with each Ratchet & Clank game.....can't imagine this game has a very big budget. It's only $19.99 on PSN and in stores. Here's hoping they go back to the full $60 Pixar-like quality for the PS4 debut!

Funny thing is that if you add up all the paid DLC in PSN it costs you an extra ~$12. I think this is a pretty good idea. Keeps the full game costs down, while more dedicated fans would pay up for DLC.