By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Ken Kutaragi Retires from executive role

Damn Ken. I just signed my second job!

Around the Network

Ken will be missed. He was by far one of the greatest engineering minds in the world. I would agree that the PS3 isn't selling well but I'm going to say its not a flop. Theres been systems and handhelds that sold way the heck less then 3 million and theirs consoles that never made it off the production line (The Phantom). Honestly.. Ken should have stayed at least another year or so and maybe pushed the development process of the PS4 before leaving. The PS4 whenever its released.. I doubt will have the great technical genius that the PS3 has. 5 months is no way to measure what a console will do or how much it will sell. Once the system passes 40 games at retail it should actually start having greatly improved numbers. Before Ken leaves I believe that the PS3 will turn around.. June is a while off yet.

PC gaming is better than console gaming. Always.     We are Anonymous, We are Legion    Kick-ass interview   Great Flash Series Here    Anime Ratings     Make and Play Please
Amazing discussion about being wrong
Official VGChartz Folding@Home Team #109453

ssj12 said:
Once the system passes 40 games at retail it should actually start having greatly improved numbers. Before Ken leaves I believe that the PS3 will turn around.. June is a while off yet.

Only semi worthwhile games coming out in the next 2 months are Spiderman 3, Heavenly Sword, & LAIR. While I suspect there will be small spikes around these games releases, I don't think they're major system sellers. And SM3 isn't even exclusive. Some of the more popular game series in Japan haven't been able to make a lasting effect on system sales. PS3 will keep having lackluster sales up until the holiday season where I suspect it will sell respectable numbers.

To cash in my CC rewards points for $300 in Circuit City gift cards to purchase a 360 or not: That is the question.

megaxl said:

"I have a full respect for Kutaragi. He is the one who provided a new direction in gaming with PS1. I think everyone should keep in mind that he has a great contribution in vg entertaiment. If not him we would moulder in Mario's mushrooms world."

the real contribution is of the 3rd party developers, GTA, Resident evil, tekken, final fantasy, devil may cry, metal gear, kof,ace combat, silent hill, kingdom hearts, tomb raider, dragon quest, etc, all are a 3rd properties.

the only AAA games developer by sony are Gran turismo and god of war

i think the playstation only have lucky, if the playstation dont exist,all  those games go to the console of the moment, that is all.

this is only my opinion, im not fanboy, i like every game of the market.

i think that the good thing about the ps1 is that avoided the nintendo monopoly, this was good, for that i think the wii good moment in the world and the 360 US moment are a good thing for the videogames, i dont want a monopoly of sony, nintendo , microsoft, nokia, samsung , toyota, hp or any company that want join to this industry.

The reason those 3rd parties were able to create the games they created was because Sony created a machine most suitable to their endeavors. Final Fantasy is the best example. The main reason it was created on the PS1 was because Kutaragi had the vision to use a CD-Drive with significant 3D capabilities. The combination of those two things allowed Square to pull of their vision for FF7. Sony wasn't lucky, they just created a better cheaper product.

My Top 5:

Shadow of the Colossus, Metal Gear Solid 3, Shenmue, Skies of Arcadia, Chrono Trigger

My 2 nex-gen systems: PS3 and Wii

Prediction Aug '08: We see the PSP2 released fall '09. Graphically, it's basically the same as the current system. UMD drive ditched and replaced by 4-8gb on board flash memory. Other upgrades: 2nd analog nub, touchscreen, blutooth, motion sensor. Design: Flip-style or slider. Size: Think Iphone. Cost: $199. Will be profitable on day 1.

ceres said:
ssj12 said:
Once the system passes 40 games at retail it should actually start having greatly improved numbers. Before Ken leaves I believe that the PS3 will turn around.. June is a while off yet.

Only semi worthwhile games coming out in the next 2 months are Spiderman 3, Heavenly Sword, & LAIR. While I suspect there will be small spikes around these games releases, I don't think they're major system sellers. And SM3 isn't even exclusive. Some of the more popular game series in Japan haven't been able to make a lasting effect on system sales. PS3 will keep having lackluster sales up until the holiday season where I suspect it will sell respectable numbers.

your calling Lair small.. damn dude..the game looks amazing... Heavenly Sword = PS3 God of War and Spiderman 3 has some really nice exclusive content just for the PS3 (collecters edition only though like the exclusive stuff on the other consoles)

oh and the home beta starts soon so we should be getting some great new information on that to make people excited.  

PC gaming is better than console gaming. Always.     We are Anonymous, We are Legion    Kick-ass interview   Great Flash Series Here    Anime Ratings     Make and Play Please
Amazing discussion about being wrong
Official VGChartz Folding@Home Team #109453

Around the Network

this was bound to happen. After all no one is safe in their job unless they are performing at their best in the present not in the past.

More writing on the wall if you ask me.

Perhaps Sony will learn from its mistakes and possibly pull out of the tailspin it appears to be in. Although I remain doubtful.

I digress; Personally, I would rather have Sony, than MS pull in second ( if Wii wins.)

"There are three types of lies : Lies, damned lies, and statistics." - Benjamin Disraeli ( Made famous by Mark Twain )

PSN ID: DeviantPathways

Wii Number: 0081 3044 1559 2355

ssj12 said:
ceres said:
ssj12 said:

your calling Lair small.. damn dude..the game looks amazing... Heavenly Sword = PS3 God of War and Spiderman 3 has some really nice exclusive content just for the PS3 (collecters edition only though like the exclusive stuff on the other consoles)

oh and the home beta starts soon so we should be getting some great new information on that to make people excited.

You are SO blind.

Lair = SMALL!  Smaller than small.

You're one point to argue for that game is that is looks good, it has awesome graphics.

I don't care what anyone says, that game is not a system seller, people with PS3's will buy it for sure, but it aint a system seller, it doesn't appeal to anyone by dragon loving medieval fans which cuts down the viable market for that game more and more.

It's not a system seller, and it's not as big as you'd like to make out that it is.

Is it even due this quarter?

Heavenly Sword, may be PS3's God of War, we'll see on that one I think that game has good potential.

OriGin said:

Is it even due this quarter?

It's been delayed so many times, who knows. I'm seeing May or July from various sites. Which probably means July and the sites with May haven't updated for the 5th time. I think it was initially slated for February when I first saw the trailer for it.

To cash in my CC rewards points for $300 in Circuit City gift cards to purchase a 360 or not: That is the question.

Yeah I thought I saw that it was delayed until the 4th quarter of 2007 (xmas period) last time I checked...

It wasn't on the official 'q2' release list from Sony recently, was Heavenly Sword?