By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - PC Discussion - EA to release free ad-supported Battlefield game

"Publisher reveals free-to-play Battlefield Heroes

Electronic Arts has stepped into the ad-supported games market by offering a brand new Battlefield game free to consumers.

Developed by DICE, Battlefield Heroes will be available for free this summer, and will generate revenues for the publisher via advertising support and micro-transactions.

"Online gaming garners a massive audience," commented Gerhard Florin, executive vice president of publishing at EA.

"People want to play games in new ways, with easier access that is quick to the fun. With Battlefield Heroes, EA brings its first major franchise to North America and Europe with a new distribution model and pricing structure adapted to the evolving way that people play."

The company announced the title today at the Digital Life Design conference in Munich.

The game is adopting a 'cartoon-style' approach to gameplay and will contain built-in matchmaking features with DICE promising regular content updates for players to customise the experience.

"There's something here for all types of players – be it our core Battlefield fans or casual gamers," added Ben Cousins, senior producer at EA DICE.

"With the new online model, we will continually add new content to keep the game fresh and keep players engaged, while integrating player feedback in real time. As a game developer, it is such a cool new way to make games."

Source - http://www.gamesindustry.biz/content_page.php?aid=32281 

That Was Left-Handed

Xbox Live: Spire VII

Playstation 3 Network: Spire_VII

Around the Network

PC or consoles?

PC gaming is better than console gaming. Always.     We are Anonymous, We are Legion    Kick-ass interview   Great Flash Series Here    Anime Ratings     Make and Play Please
Amazing discussion about being wrong
Official VGChartz Folding@Home Team #109453

ssj12 said:
PC or consoles?

most likely PC since they have Battlefield: Bad Company coming out for the consoles

That Was Left-Handed

Xbox Live: Spire VII

Playstation 3 Network: Spire_VII

what does "cartoon-style" mean? Does this mean it will be similar to Battlefield 2 or more like zack & wiki? If it is the latter then I'm out. Sorry, but that type of game style does not need to be on an FPS.

more like team fortress 2 graphics.... I assume

Around the Network

It sounds like a brilliant plan. Piracy affects pc gaming to a level where it's on the brink of extinsion, and this way you'd be able to make some money out of it anyway. Get the well tested BF2 engine you own already, put in some simple cell characters so a lot of people will be able to play it and cash in.

I wonder how much commercials will be in there... Has some funny potential, this pack of C4 has been brought to you by diet coke, a new explosive flavour.

PSN name: Gazz1979 (feel free to add me, but please put your Vgchartz name in the message!)

Battlefield 2: Gazz1979

Gazz said:
It sounds like a brilliant plan. Piracy affects pc gaming to a level where it's on the brink of extinsion, and this way you'd be able to make some money out of it anyway. Get the well tested BF2 engine you own already, put in some simple cell characters so a lot of people will be able to play it and cash in.

I wonder how much commercials will be in there... Has some funny potential, this pack of C4 has been brought to you by diet coke, a new explosive flavour.
Let's just hope it won't affect Battlefield 3's sales when it's released.

This looks AWESOME! A good move by EA? That's crazy!

Though I have to wonder why so many games use the word Heroes lately.

Could I trouble you for some maple syrup to go with the plate of roffles you just served up?

Tag, courtesy of fkusumot: "Why do most of the PS3 fanboys have avatars that looks totally pissed?"
"Ok, girl's trapped in the elevator, and the power's off.  I swear, if a zombie comes around the next corner..."

It will be very interesting to see how this pans out. It might be the way for some video game publishers to beat the pirates.

Puzzle Pirates seems to do rather well using a similar business model.

"The worst part about these reviews is they are [subjective]--and their scores often depend on how drunk you got the media at a Street Fighter event."  — Mona Hamilton, Capcom Senior VP of Marketing
*Image indefinitely borrowed from BrainBoxLtd without his consent.

This is a great idea.  I like what Gazz said about piracy and how this could be the new way to play.  Even if future games aren't free but they only charged you $10 and gained profits from advertising then it would still deter piracy by decreasing costs.

Let's hope it doesn't get out of hand though.  I'd hate to have people whinning that the Ace Hardware Assault Rifle is a noob weapon or the JCPenny Jet Fighter is overpowered.

America = Best Gaming Console

Europe = Best Game Developers