By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Website Topics - Imagination PowerVR Series6 Model - up to 1000 GFLOPS of proccessing power

"Imagination said that the G6630 raw processing performance ranges from 100 Gflops to more than 1 Tflops. For graphics alone, the design can "comfortably deliver the raw fill rates required for the latest high resolution smartphones, tablets and TVs, as well as the multiple screen support demanded by the automotive industry," the company said. All Series6 GPUs support OpenGL ES 3, 2 and 1.1, OpenGL 3.x and 4.x, as well as  WHQL-compliant DirectX10. Certain family members also support DirectX11.1."

http://www.tomshardware.com/news/imagination-powervr-gpu-smartphone,19243.html

http://www.xbitlabs.com/news/graphics/display/20121118164455_Imagination_Unleashes_High_Performance_6_Cluster_GPU_for_Smartphones_Tablets_and_Low_Power_Gadgets.html

Guess tablets will be really get powerful in very near future and compete with traditional consoles.

Around the Network

Doesn't matter, tablets or non fixed platforms, so you'll never see Last of Us/Halo 4 type of games on them.

Turkish said:
Doesn't matter, tablets or non fixed platforms, so you'll never see Last of Us/Halo 4 type of games on them.

ofcourse you will.

Acording to powerVR there next series of GPU models puts them on par with current consoles (depending on the exact model). Obviously there estimated performance increases is exagerated but im sure its more or less accurate.

Now imagine their next series models...while progression in computing is not linear it still progresses quite rapidly and im sure in the very near future we will see current gen games matched on smartphones/tablets.

And im sure the games won't be as good but the graphical capabilities of the hardware will.

oh and by "near future" im talking about under 5 years.

Intel Core i7 3770K [3.5GHz]|MSI Big Bang Z77 Mpower|Corsair Vengeance DDR3-1866 2 x 4GB|MSI GeForce GTX 560 ti Twin Frozr 2|OCZ Vertex 4 128GB|Corsair HX750|Cooler Master CM 690II Advanced|

Turkish said:

Oh, I don't expect them to compete with those games directly, but if games like Infinity Blade or Gameloft's games are indicator, there is a place for visualy demanding games in tablet market.

One thing that I noticed from observing "casual" market is that there is much potential in it for games that are vastly different than what could be usually defined as "casual" games. For example, I would very much like to see how some game that is in line with Hard Rain and Beyond: Two Souls visuals and gameplay would do on some future, PowerVR 6 based iPad, but with bit more mainstreamed story, and advertised not as game, but Visual Novel, or Interactive Fiction or something similar.

Shinobi-san said:
Turkish said:

ofcourse you will.

Acording to powerVR there next series of GPU models puts them on par with current consoles (depending on the exact model). Obviously there estimated performance increases is exagerated but im sure its more or less accurate.

Now imagine their next series models...while progression in computing is not linear it still progresses quite rapidly and im sure in the very near future we will see current gen games matched on smartphones/tablets.

And im sure the games won't be as good but the graphical capabilities of the hardware will.

oh and by "near future" im talking about under 5 years.

Fixed platforms, tablets and phones get better each year. Thats why you won't see huge investments in graphical capabilities of those games. Why would you limit yourself to only the latest hardware when Angry Birds sell hundreds of millions?

Around the Network

Even if phones and tablets became this powerful, it's for nothing if it can't be backed up by sufficient battery power

Xbox One, PS4 and Switch (+ Many Retro Consoles)

'When the people are being beaten with a stick, they are not much happier if it is called the people's stick'- Mikhail Bakunin

Prediction: Switch will sell better than Wii U Lifetime Sales by Jan 1st 2018

the2real4mafol said:
Even if phones and tablets became this powerful, it's for nothing if it can't be backed up by sufficient battery power

we don't agree often.... but this +9999

i have said it on many forums.... the part that needs the most improvement right and fast for portable device is battery tech.... that stuff has been trailing behind for ages and is only starting to get attention and you can tell...

and I know it's an old post but it is truer than ever today

Just a question, how many watts does it consume ?

Edit: Oh and I doubt phones will ever match consoles and even tablets cause their power constrained.

I think a Nintendo tablet with an optional home base similar to the Vita TV is coming and will likely be in the processing power range of these devices.

Once you can get performance in the range of 200 GFLOPS, then Wii U/360 engine ports become pretty feasible, and I think that's how Nintendo is going to squeeze more money out of the expensive Wii U projects they make -- by effectively making a new pillar that can handle ports of a lot of the same games.