By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Predicting the Next-Gen: The Future of PS4 and X3ox

Am I right in my analysis?

Hellz to the yeah! 39 32.23%

Oh, Heeeellz no! 43 35.54%

I think you're forgettin... 24 19.83%

I'm too stupid to unders... 12 9.92%

Total:118
platformmaster918 said:
DanneSandin said:
Jay520 said:
DanneSandin said:

i fully agree with your analysis. if ms is to dominate next gen with a powerful console its because of third party support making games too powerful for either ps4 or wii u to play. but i dont see that happening. games costs much as it is, and selling on only one console means fewer games sold, meaning less profits. x3ox needs to be the next ps2 for this to happen, and thats not very likely. 

what ms and sony needs to do is making powerful systems that wii u cant compete with, or else nintendo is set to dominate this gen as well. question is can sony afford this?

Sony shouldn't have a difficult time making the PS4 noticeably more powerful than the Wii U. Reports show that the Wii U costs about $180 to manufacture (excluding the Gamepad since it doesn't contribute to power). When the time the PS4 launches, the Wii U's manufacturering cost will be down even lower. Sony could release a $350-380 console while making a profit releasing it at $400. That would be a situation where the PS4 costs approximately double that of the Wii U. The PS4 would be easily more powerful than the Wii U and Sony wouldn't be risking too much money.

Question is though, will a $400 console sell in todays market? And, how much of a difference would such a console mean? If it's simply better graphics, I wouldn't think that's enough. Just look at PCs and PS360. Now, I'm no techi what so ever, so I can't argue your point =) I do think that there has to be quite a leap over Wii U for PS4 to distans itself and trying to pull gamers in that way... Leaving Wii U in the dust. But then We would have x3ox, which could be even stronger still...

that's only $50 more than the deluxe WiiU that has sold out for the holidays.  I think it can sell reasonably well especially with some good advertisements for the exclusives.  Launch it with Uncharted and Gran Turismo and a new IP and you've got yourself a hit with COD and AC coming to it of course.

Problem is, people is bitching about Wii U's price, saying it's too high... Granted, we don't know how powerful it is, so I can understand if people thinks it's current gen and over priced. But this isn't 2006 any more. We've had (and are still having) some what of a global fincanes crisis... And as far as I understand, GT6 won't be able to get developed and released by fall 2013. but I don't really know, I'm just going by what others have said about that...

I'm on Twitter @DanneSandin!

Furthermore, I think VGChartz should add a "Like"-button.

Around the Network
S.T.A.G.E. said:

-Sony and Microsoft are both afraid to go crazy with their tech. They both want to have fairly priced consoles, so I doubt they are going to go all out.They will meet the standards of what Square Enix, EA, Epic and Crytek are demanding of them and Nintendo will be left to fend for themselves with their exclusives yet again.

-Nintendo wont even be eligible to get ports of multiplatforms and if they do the consoles will be stretched to their limit before they even hit their third year. They will however gather more help from Japanese companies and revitalize interest in console gaming. I wish Sony would do the same.

-Sony and Microsoft will battle it out when it comes to exclusives and their respective new online  experiences and people will continue to ask who is giving the better deal.

-Both Sony and Microsoft will take a hit on the cost of the consoles by $100-$150 per console.

I seriously doubt that Sony will take a $100 hit/console. They can't afford it. $50 tops, and that's stretching it. But I do fear that Wii U might not get decent ports this gen either =/

I think Sony is in a tough spot here. They either go "low specs", staying close to Wii U, but that wouldn't do them much good, since they'd both get the same 3rd party games, and nintendo's 1st party games crushes everything else. Therefore people would simply buy Wii U instead of PS4. And Sony can't compete against MS's money... I'm afraid they might get stuck in the middle.

DanneSandin said:
S.T.A.G.E. said:

-Sony and Microsoft are both afraid to go crazy with their tech. They both want to have fairly priced consoles, so I doubt they are going to go all out.They will meet the standards of what Square Enix, EA, Epic and Crytek are demanding of them and Nintendo will be left to fend for themselves with their exclusives yet again.

-Nintendo wont even be eligible to get ports of multiplatforms and if they do the consoles will be stretched to their limit before they even hit their third year. They will however gather more help from Japanese companies and revitalize interest in console gaming. I wish Sony would do the same.

-Sony and Microsoft will battle it out when it comes to exclusives and their respective new online  experiences and people will continue to ask who is giving the better deal.

-Both Sony and Microsoft will take a hit on the cost of the consoles by $100-$150 per console.

I seriously doubt that Sony will take a $100 hit/console. They can't afford it. $50 tops, and that's stretching it. But I do fear that Wii U might not get decent ports this gen either =/

I think Sony is in a tough spot here. They either go "low specs", staying close to Wii U, but that wouldn't do them much good, since they'd both get the same 3rd party games, and nintendo's 1st party games crushes everything else. Therefore people would simply buy Wii U instead of PS4. And Sony can't compete against MS's money... I'm afraid they might get stuck in the middle.

Sony as a company is in trouble, but their Playstation brand isnt in that much trouble. They just need to clear up the Move and Vita bull. The PS4 will not be close to the Wii Ul but rather the 720 and PS4 will be much closer to one another to keep next gen.Remember, Microsoft joined the gaming industry to throw off Sony, so they'll be doing whatever they can to damage them big time. Microsoft and Sony have to have their consoles up to par with what third party devs have been demanding for specs, which is why they have been throwing out their dev kits to them.

S.T.A.G.E. said:
DanneSandin said:
S.T.A.G.E. said:

Sony as a company is in trouble, but their Playstation brand isnt in that much trouble. They just need to clear up the Move and Vita bull. The PS4 will not be close to the Wii Ul but rather the 720 and PS4 will be much closer to one another to keep next gen.Remember, Microsoft joined the gaming industry to throw off Sony, so they'll be doing whatever they can to damage them big time. Microsoft and Sony have to have their consoles up to par with what third party devs have been demanding for specs, which is why they have been throwing out their dev kits to them.

I think you're first sentece is vital here. PS brand is doing great, Sony isn't. And this might be a reason for them to produce the PS4 as cheaply as possible so that they can earn as much money as possible from PS4 so they can use it to stabilize the whole company.

And as you say; MS will try everything to damaage playstation, and this could mean they'll simply out spend Sony on specs and games...

DanneSandin said:
S.T.A.G.E. said:
DanneSandin said:
S.T.A.G.E. said:

I think you're first sentece is vital here. PS brand is doing great, Sony isn't. And this might be a reason for them to produce the PS4 as cheaply as possible so that they can earn as much money as possible from PS4 so they can use it to stabilize the whole company.

And as you say; MS will try everything to damaage playstation, and this could mean they'll simply out spend Sony on specs and games...

Sony has nothing to fear from Microsoft when it comes to creating games.  Take a look at the greatest games ever on the Xbox platforms, they came from two developers in Bioware and Epic to be exact. EA owns Bioware now and Epic, im sure wants to make their own games for PC now (as they've said in past interviews). Microsoft depends on people too much. We havent heard a peep out of some of their studios so lets see how their creations are coming. The PS4 and the 720 will both be budget, I am sure, but go over in cost quite a bite which will cause a loss. Microsoft will probably be susidized by a third party. We will see.

Around the Network
S.T.A.G.E. said:
DanneSandin said:
S.T.A.G.E. said:

Sony has nothing to fear from Microsoft when it comes to creating games.  Take a look at the greatest games ever on the Xbox platforms, they came from two developers in Bioware and Epic to be exact. EA owns Bioware now and Epic, im sure wants to make their own games for PC now (as they've said in past interviews). Microsoft depends on people too much. We havent heard a peep out of some of their studios so lets see how their creations are coming. The PS4 and the 720 will both be budget, I am sure, but go over in cost quite a bite which will cause a loss. Microsoft will probably be susidized by a third party. We will see.

I totally agree that MS is too depended on third parties, and that's not good at all. I don't think they got the exclusive games to take them to the top. What they DO have is money. Lots of it. So they could simply buy games for the nextbox if they wanted to.

sethnintendo said:
I'm hoping for Microsoft to flop like the Surface is about to and Sony to improve. Right now I would rather see Sony do better in the home console industry than Microsoft. I use Windows OS for desktop but that is about the only thing I will ever use from Microsoft. Some reason I just don't like the company and I view them worse for the industry than Sony.

I don't really like Windows OS either, I switched to the Mac in 2009. But the one Product Microsoft got right was Xbox you got to give them some credit. And i'd rather have console do well from an American company especially with the economy the way it's been the past few years. Sony has earned it's place in video game history and they've had their fair share of successes. Now it's time to give someone else a chance to do well. You don't want Sony to take over the video game industry that's bad for the consumer. A healthy competition is the best thing for the industry. Sony killed Sega remember? And they could've killed Nintendo too. For awhile Sony went virtually unchallenged in the 90s until Microsoft launched the Xbox. Believe me you should be thankful Microsoft stepped in and put an end to that. So I think Sony is worse for the industry.

Why do you want the Surface to flop?

DanneSandin said:

While I do agree that MS owes their success due to Sony's fuck ups, I'm not too sure that Nintendo has fully understood the Wii's mistake. Wii U doesn't quite seem like next gen... Only time will tell if it'll hold its own against PS720.

What I think will be interesting to see is the launch of PS720, and how they will sell. Is MS's fortune STILL tied to the successes/failures of SOny?? Will Sony recover from this gens losses and how will WIi U fare against stronger consoles??

I suspect now microsoft is in a position to stem on it's own. But back then they weren't. The big (and arguably only) mistake they made with 360 was failure rates. I guess we will see though.

For nintendo it remains to be seen if the lack of power boost will come back to bite them. It depends on how people react to the others. But as of right now they have corrected most of the complaints with wii. I think the online will cause more problems then the power.

One more thing to complete my year = senran kagura localization =D

CCFanboy said:
DanneSandin said:

While I do agree that MS owes their success due to Sony's fuck ups, I'm not too sure that Nintendo has fully understood the Wii's mistake. Wii U doesn't quite seem like next gen... Only time will tell if it'll hold its own against PS720.

What I think will be interesting to see is the launch of PS720, and how they will sell. Is MS's fortune STILL tied to the successes/failures of SOny?? Will Sony recover from this gens losses and how will WIi U fare against stronger consoles??

I suspect now microsoft is in a position to stem on it's own. But back then they weren't. The big (and arguably only) mistake they made with 360 was failure rates. I guess we will see though.

For nintendo it remains to be seen if the lack of power boost will come back to bite them. It depends on how people react to the others. But as of right now they have corrected most of the complaints with wii. I think the online will cause more problems then the power.

I think we have to wait and see if Wii U indeed lacks power to match PS720 later on...

Dmick90 said:
sethnintendo said:
I'm hoping for Microsoft to flop like the Surface is about to and Sony to improve. Right now I would rather see Sony do better in the home console industry than Microsoft. I use Windows OS for desktop but that is about the only thing I will ever use from Microsoft. Some reason I just don't like the company and I view them worse for the industry than Sony.

I don't really like Windows OS either, I switched to the Mac in 2009. But the one Product Microsoft got right was Xbox you got to give them some credit. And i'd rather have console do well from an American company especially with the economy the way it's been the past few years. Sony has earned it's place in video game history and they've had their fair share of successes. Now it's time to give someone else a chance to do well. You don't want Sony to take over the video game industry that's bad for the consumer. A healthy competition is the best thing for the industry. Sony killed Sega remember? And they could've killed Nintendo too. For awhile Sony went virtually unchallenged in the 90s until Microsoft launched the Xbox. Believe me you should be thankful Microsoft stepped in and put an end to that. So I think Sony is worse for the industry.

Why do you want the Surface to flop?

Yep, I know my way of thinking just isn't right.  I just can't help being biased against Microsoft and Sony.  I know each company brings something different to the table and that the more competition the better for the consumer.  Microsoft has developed games for awhile (PC during 90s) but I have never been that big of a fan of any of their games (except Crimson Skies).  I view their entry into the home console business mainly as a motivation to put a xbox in every single living room (which is the goal of all console makers).  However, I believe they are more focused on multimedia device (PC in disguise as a home console) than actual gaming.  I am sure I can be easily countered but there is almost nothing that can be said to change my mind.  I try to be an open person but that isn't always the case. 

Why do I want Surface to flop?  I just view it as overpriced for the specs and what it has to offer.  The main selling point seems to be that it has Microsoft Office.  I just view it as another attempt by Microsoft to get into an industry that will result in another failure (like the Zune).  They will however eventually have more tablets (probably a 20% share in about 5-7 years) that runs their OS.  While it won't be a complete failure they will have an uphill battle in the tablet market.  I view their phones as a total failure so far with little chance at ever reaching 25-30% market share.