By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Partial Australia 2007 results, DS Domination

FishyJoe,

You missed some data from the Gamespot article:

"Last year was a record year for the US game industry, and it looks like us Aussies have also followed suit. New figures from industry tracker GfK Australia show that the Australian game sector was worth A$1.3 billion ($1.1 billion) in 2007, a strong increase of more than 43 percent from the previous year.

Of that 2007 figure of A$1.3 billion, Aussies spent close to A$500 million on consoles, handhelds, and peripherals. More than A$800 million was spent on software, which translated to roughly 15.4 million individual pieces of software sold (with six million of that coming in the final three months of the year).

According to GfK figures, Aussies spent up big in 2007 compared to 2006. In 2006, the total spend on gaming was only A$925 million, which in itself was an increase of only seven percent from 2005 figures. Of the 2006 figure, A$329 million was attributed to hardware and A$596 million to software sales. "

Around the Network

Looks like PS3 is a little undertracked (acording to vgchartz 173k as of 30th December vs. 175k at end of the year in gfk only for Australia). And New Zealand is more pro-Sony land than Australia, so PS3 may be even at 200k.
X360 is very close (340k for both NZ and Australia acording to GFK vs 347 on vgchartz). Wi should be close (294k in GFK for Australia vs 312k on vgchartz at the end of the year) depending on how succesful it is in NZ.

@Artof: Nintendo released some data:
DS:
Pokemon Diamond and Pearl - 167,319
Dr Kawashima's Brain Training - 78,279
More Brain Training From Dr Kawashima - 67,095
Wii
Wii Play with Wii Remote - 114,600
Super Mario Galaxy - 54,079
Mario Party 8 - 52,530

I hope you're joking about a 2k unit difference.

TWRoO said:
I assume VGC includes NZ in all numbers... which means:

360+Wii+DS+ PS3 all very very close for LTD numbers. Unknown for PS2/PSP. I think when they say run up to Christmas or Christmas period they mean for the quarter.

Sony's "Christmas period" covered weeks 47-52.

Link

We have a few NZ LTDs too, but most aren't so upto date as Oz numbers.

360 - 37K (Mid Jan 08)
PS2 - 436K+ (End Nov 07 - missing Q1 07 sales)
PS3 - 15,172 (End Nov 07)
Xbox - 140K (End 05)
NGC - 10K (End 05)

So PS2 is roughly around 0.5M in NZ, and 2.2M in OZ, so around 2.7M combined. PS3 over 170K combined (missing Dec NZ), or over 190K combined if including the 20K included in the Bravia offer. With Dec & Bravia offer it would be close to 200K combined. Obviously we already have 360 combined - 340K (Mid Jan 08). SCENZ often give YTDs at the end of Jan, so we should get some more up to date totals soon.

Link

@Fishy, he was reffering to New Zealand... but only MS specified the difference between AUS ans AUS+NZ... so it is unclear whether the other numbers are AUS only.

Of course it can be argued 3 ways with those free PS3s... I would assume ioi included them but that depends on whether ioi has any access to them at all... I mean presumably the TVs are not sold in the same stores ioi uses [probably game stores].

So if ioi includes the TV freebies the PS3 is either spot on [assumes figures above are AUS only], or undertracked by whatever NZ has sold.

If ioi has not included them then either ioi is either overtracking by 18k , or really close [155k+NZ = probably roughly 170-180k] Edit: Ta BKK... I thought PS3 would be about 20k in NZ by now.

Around the Network

So Wii has overtaken Xbox 360 in Australia too.
Now remain only Italy and other small market , if I remember correctly.

“In the entertainment business, there are only heaven and hell, and nothing in between and as soon as our customers bore of our products, we will crash.”  Hiroshi Yamauchi

TAG:  Like a Yamauchi pimp slap delivered by Il Maelstrom; serving it up with style.

@celine... and America of course.
dunno about Canada alone though... so perhaps it's only USA rather than America.

And yes other small markets too [probably NZ and Poland for sure... plus there are places 360 is released but Wii is not- see the "others" table in the Others section]

NEWSFLASH!
New others numbers show PS3 has been adjusted down for Australia... so ioi must not include either NZ or the free PS3.

also@ celine... for Scandanavia 360 still has an LTD lead over Wii too, but it should catch up in 2-3 months.

TWRoO said:
@celine... and America of course.
dunno about Canada alone though... so perhaps it's only USA rather than America.

And yes other small markets too [probably NZ and Poland for sure... plus there are places 360 is released but Wii is not- see the "others" table in the Others section]

Blush

What a moron, I forgot the biggest market ( USA ) , argh . 

“In the entertainment business, there are only heaven and hell, and nothing in between and as soon as our customers bore of our products, we will crash.”  Hiroshi Yamauchi

TAG:  Like a Yamauchi pimp slap delivered by Il Maelstrom; serving it up with style.

@FishyJoe: No I wasn't joking. But i also didn't mention New Zealand in the next sentence without a puropse. I hoped that readers will get it.

Afaik on vgchartz Australia is in fact Australia+NZ; the number on vgchartz is undertracked by 2k + whatever was sold in NZ.