By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Sony is really enticing me to buy a Vita

If its any consideration... I have two brothers.. well more than two, but two that are in reference to this.

1) Plays on 360 a lot and only the more core games. He loves Halo, FIFA, Gears, Madden, NBA2K, etc. As well as more story based games (used to love pokemon).
2) Plays on PC a lot and loves rpgs, WOW, Diablo3, MonsterHunter, etc.

They both bought Vita's and within one month resold. lol. They both got great deals on craigslist that included games they wanted anyways. They both tried PSN demos and bought a few other games they would like. They both determined it was overall not for them and went back to their 'normal' consoles of choice. They both felt the hardware was nice, but the content was lacking and primarily the smartphone/tablet type of content. They wanted it to do games and a lot of smart features, but it simply isn't there in both categories.

They both agree with me that IF the Vita had ran normal Android (thus all its apps) and/or been the same basic hardware but a smartphone they would have kept it probably bought sooner.

I really think Vita is a niche gaming machine and destined to die early. I think if you considering it you have to ask yourself if you are good with a $250 console to only use for the games you see now. You have to consider that any game coming out that is of the same IP as a home console game, it will very likely be no where near as good as a game and then think does it still offer enough other unique content to overcome its entrance fee.

It is solid hardware. It truly is. However, its content may not be worth the entrance fee for you. That should be your only focus on making that decision.

Around the Network
superchunk said:

If its any consideration... I have two brothers.. well more than two, but two that are in reference to this.

1) Plays on 360 a lot and only the more core games. He loves Halo, FIFA, Gears, Madden, NBA2K, etc. As well as more story based games (used to love pokemon).
2) Plays on PC a lot and loves rpgs, WOW, Diablo3, MonsterHunter, etc.

They both bought Vita's and within one month resold. lol. They both got great deals on craigslist that included games they wanted anyways. They both tried PSN demos and bought a few other games they would like. They both determined it was overall not for them and went back to their 'normal' consoles of choice. They both felt the hardware was nice, but the content was lacking and primarily the smartphone/tablet type of content. They wanted it to do games and a lot of smart features, but it simply isn't there in both categories.

They both agree with me that IF the Vita had ran normal Android (thus all its apps) and/or been the same basic hardware but a smartphone they would have kept it probably bought sooner.

I really think Vita is a niche gaming machine and destined to die early. I think if you considering it you have to ask yourself if you are good with a $250 console to only use for the games you see now. You have to consider that any game coming out that is of the same IP as a home console game, it will very likely be no where near as good as a game and then think does it still offer enough other unique content to overcome its entrance fee.

It is solid hardware. It truly is. However, its content may not be worth the entrance fee for you. That should be your only focus on making that decision.

I saw you post one thing a while back that I totally agreed with you. Vita should have been a phone. Same 5 inch screen and specs (if technically possible) but not as wide and slide out controller. Losing the touch screen on the back...

If Sony managed to pull that off and support it with software in the same manner it's doing this now, Vita would have massive appeal to just about anyone looking for a flagship smartphone, gaming device, entertainment device...  This whole console on the go is so nichey that I'm surprised Sony didn't see PSV as a tough sell before it was released.

poor vita and "the console on the go" jibes,is she not going to get a chance for devs to see what they can do,every system deserves that

Above & Beyond

@superchunk
While i made the vita should have been a phone thread at least a year and a half ago, i do have to disagree with everything else you've written.
Anecdotes are not a good basis to extrapolate to others.

Yes i agree, should have been a phone.
But i disagree on the appeal. Your brothers still needed a person to seel to after all.
So yeah, saying they bought them and then sold them right away doesn't really make any specific point other than that your brothers were not satosfied with the game lineup of the time at which they owned them,which os odd considering monster hunter on vita is much better than on psp.

Also the games you listed them as playing don't really fit the vita at all.