By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Would I be a happier gamer if I wasn't a fanboy?

Corporate and game fanboyism and console isolation are some of those final things that make a lot of people hesitant to actually admit they are gamers, especially online. The sooner they are burned out of existence (hopefully with fire), the sooner people will actually understand that gaming is about games, not about some bizarre and very dated notion that 'if you're not with us, you're against us'.

Take the step into the wider world, Gilgamesh, and chances are you'll be happier for it.

Around the Network

Why limit yourself to one platform or brand? Each comsoles has its own spectactacular games, as well as some good games and garbage. If you have all the consoles then you will have access to all of the spectacular games, the best of the best.

In my opinion, the fanboy mentality exists so that people can justify not buying one system or another. You can like one system over another and nit be a fanboy, but refusing to buy a system because of loyalty to a brand is just your mind doing some mental juditsu to your logic!

That depends on what makes you happy about being a gamer.

Is it the games?

Is it the success of your preferred company?

Is it the failure of competing companies?

If the answer only contains the games then yes, you would be a happier gamer.

stay loyal to Sony. it's the mafia, and you can never leave the family. as a long time (NES) supporter of ninty, and disappointed in the Wii, and GC. i can say the Wiiu just may be the thing to bring me back to ninty. ninty is not yhe enemy.

and as for the Xbox. your not missing anything. the war will never end. Xbox = GEARS and nothing more.

Sony PS. never leave the collective.

sethnintendo said:
Chark said:
 The reason I stay away from Wii this gen is due to hardware, the resulting software issues because of that, and the UI. I stay away from the 360 because of Xbox live and the UI.

I wonder what makes the PS3 UI so great to you?  It doesn't seem like anything special to me.  It is just a drop down list from the main categories.

Simplicity and settings are king. The XMB is easy to navigate by being comprised of lists divided by category while being represented by icons and text. The PS3 has way more settings you can adjust than any of the other consoles. You'd be surprised by the level of adjustments you can do on the PS3. This kind of basic set up with heavy customization is very attractive to me.

Before the PS3 everyone was nice to me :(

Around the Network
Chark said:
sethnintendo said:
Chark said:
 The reason I stay away from Wii this gen is due to hardware, the resulting software issues because of that, and the UI. I stay away from the 360 because of Xbox live and the UI.

I wonder what makes the PS3 UI so great to you?  It doesn't seem like anything special to me.  It is just a drop down list from the main categories.

Simplicity and settings are king. The XMB is easy to navigate by being comprised of lists divided by category while being represented by icons and text. The PS3 has way more settings you can adjust than any of the other consoles. You'd be surprised by the level of adjustments you can do on the PS3. This kind of basic set up with heavy customization is very attractive to me.

Please do tell me how i can arrange the order of my games to my liking... It may be a pet-peeve but we can't can we?

OT: happier... probably broke...certainly

a little warning though : You'd probably feel the need to contribute on all forums here so that might leave you less time to play ;P

Gilgamesh said:

So as you may already know I'm a Sony fanboy and today I had a discussion with my girlfriend. We actually talked about the Wii U, she's by far not a gamer and doesn't care for video games to much, but as a child she did own a SNES and loved it. So she seen some Wii U commercials and brought it up that it was pretty interesting and I mentioned that you can play old Wii games and download a bunch of games from the N64, Gamecube, SNES and NES. She liked the idea a lot because she wanted to replay the older games she grew up on (and all those girly Wii dancing and exercising games). Also it works out really well that she can be playing the Wii U on the controller while I can be playing the PS3 on the tv and not have to deal with the naggy girlfriend wanting to watch tv.

So now I'm thinking of actually buying a Wii U for her and technically me (I will play some games to try it out, especially the older Mario/Zelda games on the SNES, I'd love to play Link to the past (by the way whats the average price on old downloadable games in the Nintendo store?)) since she said she'd pay for half and then I got to thinking, should I really be stuck with one company? Sure Sony will always be my favorite company but should I branch out and actually buy a Wii U and even go as far as getting a Xbox 360 at some point as well?

Seems like it could make me a happier gamer, but then again I can barely afford all the games I want on the PS3 let a lone buying all the games I want for two other video game systemx, it'll probably just sit there because I'll barely get any games, because of the lack of time and money.

So what's your guys thoughts on this situation?

It sounds like you want to and just want approval from other people. Go for it, you know you want to.

weaveworld said:
Chark said:
sethnintendo said:
Chark said:

Please do tell me how i can arrange the order of my games to my liking... It may be a pet-peeve but we can't can we?

OT: happier... probably broke...certainly

a little warning though : You'd probably feel the need to contribute on all forums here so that might leave you less time to play ;P

By creating folders and edited each title to that folders name and...PRESTO. Though not in the most accessible way and I find it more trouble than its worth and just use the PS3, PS2, PS1, Minis folder set up.

It might not be exactly like that but test out some triangle button next time you are in your games, and use the square button to switch between how games are displayed.

Before the PS3 everyone was nice to me :(

IDK, Fanboys are always happy with whatever game their company throws at them. So even if they threw shovelware or terrible games you would still like it. But if you branch out you would not like bad games as much. You would end up more unhappy about bad games and only seek good games.

anyone that attaches themselves to a brand is being retarded and has fallen to the for the marketers goal