By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Be careful current and soon to be Wii U owners. The console being shut down during initial update can brick the console.

Maaaaannn this update is killing me its really close to finishing. As long as it does't shutoff by itself, (which I imagine it can't since it knows its updating the OS)

Around the Network
Galaki said:
Ummm. Regardless of hardware, you just never turn off your stuff while it's doing firmware update. Why is this news? LOL

people have never done updates before. Nintendo is the first one to do something that requires an update with the WiiU  

R.I.P Mr Iwata :'(

Gnac said:
Should have added an ethernet port.

ROFL

So the normal wii u has 8gig of storage and the update takes up 5 of it?

Nintendo network is seriously not ready to go out of the box?

ǝןdɯıs ʇı dǝǝʞ oʇ ǝʞıן ı ʍouʞ noʎ 

Ask me about being an elitist jerk

Time for hype

Around the Network

the ps3 is pretty solid when it comes to this theres a system back up. For instance DC Universe is an awesome game but has a really long install of about 2 and half hours but its a huge openworld with tons of content so understandable why the download takes so long. Unfortunately if you have multiple accounts you have to download every account the 2 hour plus download. So I saw that quit or shut my ps3 off and it worked just fine. It sounds like Wii U under the same situation will not recover or back up the data incase you decide to quit or shut off the system during a download. Not good.

If that update is really that big, I feel sorry for the people with slow internet connections. But if you turn off your console during update, that is just your own stupidity. Deal with it.

The size of the update shouldn't really matter, because it doesn't make sense for any system to brick itself during download. It should be only afterwards while it is overwriting system files that it is sensitive to power outs. In that respect the long download time should only affect the chances that you won't be supervising it when it is vulnerable.

1 hour into update, 50%

o_O

Monster Hunter: pissing me off since 2010.

LOL, if it's 5GB download then my USB dongle is working as intended then :D was wondering why it's taking so long lol.