By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Unconfirmed: Square Enix Holding Special Conference Early Next Year, New Final Fantasy Versus XIII Details Expected

Tagged games:

So SE has a lot up their sleeve:

FFX HD
FF XIV
FF v XIII
FF XIII-3
FF type-0

That's just too much to release in a single year. Which would mean Ps3 will be keeping good support in 2014. Although a conference about all of these would be nice. And get SE back in 'the game'.
I do think however that some of you really are over-hyped by vs13... but enjoy the dream while you can i'd say ;P

Around the Network

This game is my only reason for not sell my PS3 right now.. ( and Tales of XIllia :P )

miz1q2w3e said:
forevercloud3000 said:
  • -A SE worker reveals that over the years of development, a game's worth of content was cut from FFXIII, including cities, pedestrians, mini-games, etc. SE explains this away by saying that is normal. In what universe? If they were truely deciding on a theme or style to go with, this would normally be decided in the CONCEPT ART phase. Anything else after the 3D models go into play would be a slight tweak, not a complete overhaul.
  • -Square-Enix later admits after product testing the game, that they knew people would not like the fact it didn't have cities and was very linear. They decided to ship it anyway and re-use the stuff that would have been in it (if it fit) into another game, AKA FFXIII-2. Of course SE says it differently, something about they just "took what we learned and incorperated it into FFXIII-2".
  • - I distinctly remember some concept art way back when that looked like one of the larger cities in FFXIII-2 :/
  • - A statement was also made by a SE employee that "360 originally was thought to take up 7+ discs, but they later cut down on some stuff to make it all fit." Later forced to retract statement.

So you really think they removed only the good parts, and left the linear parts when they decided to cut content?... Besides, devs leave out unused content all the time. The extra content from SMG1 later turned into SMG2. Which console are you going to blame this one on?

They might have delayed the game for X360, but I don't see any proof that they cut out parts of the game for the sole purpose of fitting it on X360. The guy talking about 7 discs could've been refering to compressed VS uncompressed audio/video, which we already know about.

One last thing is I remember cutscenes being released way early, they couldn't possibly have been finished with the game at the time, and yet I have yet to see a cutscene of something that's not in the final game. The art you saw means literally nothing. Remember all the Epic Mickey concept art we got at the beginning? ...They planned it this way from the start, they thought people would like it (...I did )

Do you realize what you just said? That SMG supposedly cut content, then reused it for the sequel, which can be attributed to the system's limited disc format (and generally just not enough room to fit everything they might have wanted in that one game).SE KNEW that gamers would have wanted that content in the first game, they had it, there was definitely room for it on PS3, they obviously couldn't use it due to a certain format's disc limitations. They didn't cut everything that was good from the game (the game is not the worst in the world) but nevertheless they sacrificed something highly wanted in order to make an even product on both. Basically what you just said proves my point.

The fact that staff members have said it on multiple occasions (but Wada forced retractions on these comments to save company face) as well as the infamous landscape concept art that was shown during FFXIII's production.......but shows up in FFXIII-2. FFXIII-2 was not planned from the start(made blatently obvious by it's nonsensical story), that game didn't come into fruition until 360 port started and they saw how much crap they pulled out and the imminant backlash for doing so. They thought they could balance out their losses by selling us part of the original game as a second one.

As for the 7 discs comment, yes he could have meant uncompressed but Do you know why FFVII-IX were on multiple discs in the first place? They are probably just as long as FFX and XII story wise but the real reason they span several discs is because of the Over World Map and Cutscenes.Once the first disc becomes full with abundance of cities, story/gameplay elements, and cutscenes some of the data is spread to another disc. In order to traverse it in whichever part of the story you may be in, the Over World needs to be available on EACH disc. Between that and cutscenes, they take up majority of the space. Just take a look at Lost Odyssey for reference to what this does to a current gen game on DVD. We all know SE loves their CG cutscenes which tell their story so that could only be downsized so much.

Every FF fan knows they screwed us on multiple levels, but some rather choose blissful ignorance than face the reality of it. Do you expect them to come out and admit what they did(if they did it)? Doubtful, so why would you or anyone else take their word on it when the evidence points to a different conclusion?

Greatness Awaits

PSN:Forevercloud (looking for Soul Sacrifice Partners!!!)

forevercloud3000 said:

Do you realize what you just said? That SMG supposedly cut content, then reused it for the sequel, which can be attributed to the system's limited disc format (and generally just not enough room to fit everything they might have wanted in that one game).SE KNEW that gamers would have wanted that content in the first game, they had it, there was definitely room for it on PS3, they obviously couldn't use it due to a certain format's disc limitations. They didn't cut everything that was good from the game (the game is not the worst in the world) but nevertheless they sacrificed something highly wanted in order to make an even product on both. Basically what you just said proves my point.

The fact that staff members have said it on multiple occasions (but Wada forced retractions on these comments to save company face) as well as the infamous landscape concept art that was shown during FFXIII's production.......but shows up in FFXIII-2. FFXIII-2 was not planned from the start(made blatently obvious by it's nonsensical story), that game didn't come into fruition until 360 port started and they saw how much crap they pulled out and the imminant backlash for doing so. They thought they could balance out their losses by selling us part of the original game as a second one.

As for the 7 discs comment, yes he could have meant uncompressed but Do you know why FFVII-IX were on multiple discs in the first place? They are probably just as long as FFX and XII story wise but the real reason they span several discs is because of the Over World Map and Cutscenes.Once the first disc becomes full with abundance of cities, story/gameplay elements, and cutscenes some of the data is spread to another disc. In order to traverse it in whichever part of the story you may be in, the Over World needs to be available on EACH disc. Between that and cutscenes, they take up majority of the space. Just take a look at Lost Odyssey for reference to what this does to a current gen game on DVD. We all know SE loves their CG cutscenes which tell their story so that could only be downsized so much.

Every FF fan knows they screwed us on multiple levels, but some rather choose blissful ignorance than face the reality of it. Do you expect them to come out and admit what they did(if they did it)? Doubtful, so why would you or anyone else take their word on it when the evidence points to a different conclusion?

SMG1 didn't even fill a single layered disc, not even close. The landscape art means nothing, they didn't use it for XIII but decided to use it for XIII-2, so what? I'm sure if Nintendo released this kind of stuff that we'd notice similarities from different games (and even different franchises).

None of what you said on your wall-o-text convinves me (or is proof) that they cut content in order to fit the game for X360. FYI CG cutscenes can be downsized plenty, but you seem to be convinced of what you're saying and I'm not interested in persuading you otherwise. I LOVED Final Fantasy XIII so either way I don't care.

Nem said:

Oh please... what a Sony pink world you live in. Sony bought some squaresoft stock, thats it. They did not Save them, the merger with Enix did. The company that exists now is called Square-Enix, it owes Sony nothing.

Also the majority of their fanbase in the SNES era would be attached to Nintendo and they still developed several titles for the playstation. This is not about hardware brand loyalty, its about money. The market has changed, its not Sony domination anymore. Companies need to adapt and make money. Get over it or get out.

From my understanding, Sony actually owned about 20% of Squaresoft, which is just what they needed to keep them afloat.

Wikipedia.com

"The merger between Square and Enix, which had been under consideration since at least 2000 according to the then Enix chairman Yasuhiro Fukushima, was delayed because of the failure of the film and Enix' hesitation at merging with a company that had just lost a substantial amount of money.[34]"

The merger with Enix would have never happened without that help from Sony. It wasn't until the Merger where Enix head boss bought the deciding amount of stock in the company that Sony's share fell to 8.3%.

We will have to agree to disagree on where majority of their fanbase lies. I think its fairly obvious that if you were a die hard FF fan and played FFVII on you would grow to expect them on that same platform that had always been. Simple logic.

Greatness Awaits

Around the Network
miz1q2w3e said:

SMG1 didn't even fill a single layered disc, not even close. The landscape art means nothing, they didn't use it for XIII but decided to use it for XIII-2, so what? I'm sure if Nintendo released this kind of stuff that we'd notice similarities from different games (and even different franchises).

None of what you said on your wall-o-text convinves me (or is proof) that they cut content in order to fit the game for X360. FYI CG cutscenes can be downsized plenty, but you seem to be convinced of what you're saying and I'm not interested in persuading you otherwise. I LOVED Final Fantasy XIII so either way I don't care.

Bolded: That means that they reused something from FFXIII for FFXIII-2...........which he explicitely said they didn't do.........which makes that a lie.....

SMG1 not using all of the disc after admitting massive amounts of stuff being cut and used in SMG2 means little. Each of the discs from FFVII aren't filled to the brim either, but doesn't change the fact they moved stuff over to the next disc so the existing stuff would flow and fit properly(you just can have a game cut at any point in the game, it has to flow).

If you have ever messed with modded rips of games you would know that even after considerable compression, video/sound take up tremendous amounts of space. It has always been common place to compress these videos to some extend. FFVII's first disc is a 700+mb, when utilizing a modded version of it without cutscenes...370mb. And those cutscenes weren't even all that advance to take up that much space in the first place(and they were devoid of dialoge and often times music as well).

SMH, Your love of FFXIII is possibly clouding your judgement that it is indeed a downsized version of what it was supposed to be due to (whatever you want to believe) happened during development. 

Greatness Awaits

forevercloud3000 said:
Nem said:

Oh please... what a Sony pink world you live in. Sony bought some squaresoft stock, thats it. They did not Save them, the merger with Enix did. The company that exists now is called Square-Enix, it owes Sony nothing.

Also the majority of their fanbase in the SNES era would be attached to Nintendo and they still developed several titles for the playstation. This is not about hardware brand loyalty, its about money. The market has changed, its not Sony domination anymore. Companies need to adapt and make money. Get over it or get out.

From my understanding, Sony actually owned about 20% of Squaresoft, which is just what they needed to keep them afloat.

Wikipedia.com

"The merger between Square and Enix, which had been under consideration since at least 2000 according to the then Enix chairman Yasuhiro Fukushima, was delayed because of the failure of the film and Enix' hesitation at merging with a company that had just lost a substantial amount of money.[34]"

The merger with Enix would have never happened without that help from Sony. It wasn't until the Merger where Enix head boss bought the deciding amount of stock in the company that Sony's share fell to 8.3%.

We will have to agree to disagree on where majority of their fanbase lies. I think its fairly obvious that if you were a die hard FF fan and played FFVII on you would grow to expect them on that same platform that had always been. Simple logic.

Its only simple logic to you because you dont understand how marketing works. Its not as simple as "i put the game in this platform, therefore i should put all of them here", that only works for the generation it started in. The product is aimed at the consumer, not the fan of console X. The market changed since the PS1. Microsoft came into the market, nintendo changed strategy and SEGA abandoned the market. With each new generation its a whole new ball game. The same people dont buy the same systems every gen, every system is different from their predecessor. Square's job is to bring their product to the most consumers possible to garner the most sales/profit possible. It really makes no sense to think it should stay in the sucessor of the previous system and should assume every consumer that purchased the previous iteration will purchase the new one.

Besides that, you are totally ignoring new adopters/buyers. The consumers ultimately rule the market. This gen the consumers decided to split between PS3 and X360 and companies had to adapt to that. Its the companies that adapt to the market, not the consumers. They are the ones looking to make money.

What you're telling us is that companies should ignore the market and blindly release titles on the sucessor system everytime to expect the same result. It just isnt the case at all. It seems like the recipe for disaster if you look at the Vita for example.

Not really interested in vaporware.

I praise and love squenix for all of their FF work, regardless of how...different...XIII was, but why is it that they can't release completed games on time as so many other companies do, considering they have multiple teams working on the franchise? Two Elder Scrolls games have been created, and Bethesda ALSO made Fallout 3, in the time that technically one FF was made? How is that possible?

All of this, of course, is just my opinion.

Skyrim 100%'d. Dark Souls 100%'d. 
Dark Souls > Skyrim.
Halo 4 is the best damn FPS since Halo 3.
Proud pre-orderer of 2 PS4's and an Xbox One. 

Currently Playing: Dark Souls II, South Park
Playstation 4: MGS V GZ, Killzone: Shadow Fall, NBA 2k14.

Nem said:
forevercloud3000 said:
Nem said:

Wikipedia.com

Its only simple logic to you because you dont understand how marketing works. Its not as simple as "i put the game in this platform, therefore i should put all of them here", that only works for the generation it started in. The product is aimed at the consumer, not the fan of console X. The market changed since the PS1. Microsoft came into the market, nintendo changed strategy and SEGA abandoned the market. With each new generation its a whole new ball game. The same people dont buy the same systems every gen, every system is different from their predecessor. Square's job is to bring their product to the most consumers possible to garner the most sales/profit possible. It really makes no sense to think it should stay in the sucessor of the previous system and should assume every consumer that purchased the previous iteration will purchase the new one.

Besides that, you are totally ignoring new adopters/buyers. The consumers ultimately rule the market. This gen the consumers decided to split between PS3 and X360 and companies had to adapt to that. Its the companies that adapt to the market, not the consumers. They are the ones looking to make money.

What you're telling us is that companies should ignore the market and blindly release titles on the sucessor system everytime to expect the same result. It just isnt the case at all. It seems like the recipe for disaster if you look at the Vita for example.

And yet you're also guilty for thinking too simply. "This gen the consumers decided to splite between PS3 and X360." That's consumers, in general. Your arguments lack any demographic insight. No two consumers have the same tastes. You'd really think there are as many JRPG fans in the 360 userbase as those in the PS3 userbase? smh. The PS3 userbase has a much larger JRPG fanbase and when SE decided to drastically change FFXIII's original identity, it alientated much of the JRPG fanbase, that a lot of those potential sales went down the drain.

"What you're telling us is that companies should ignore the market and blindly release titles on the sucessor system everytime to expect the same result. It just isnt the case at all. It seems like the recipe for disaster if you look at the Vita for example." That... made me laugh... a lot. Nice try at stretching forevercloud3000's argument beyond its intended message. In case you didn't know, SE has already did what you just stated. The company ignored much of the JRPG market with terrible decisions such as excruciating linearity, no towns, and continuance of FFXIII when no one asked SE to do so. SE blindly released FFXIII-2 expecting better reception than FFXIII. Didn't work. Now, it's blindly going to release Lightning Returns in hilarious hope to save a series that was never meant to be.