By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Politics Discussion - It is time for America to get rid of Unions! They hurt our country and kill businesses! IMO ~~~TRagic Hostess situation!

yea thats a smart idea. all employees will end up on $2 an hour with shit working conditions because humans naturally only care about themselves. unions are the reason why most of the western world have a salary that isnt slave labour.

Around the Network

Say good bye to your unions and you are saying "fuck it, who needs rights?!" Without trade unions, you would have no say in your workplace at all. The boss would be able to do as they like, they could cut wages and benefits like health insurance and you wouldn't be able to do shit. People may not like trade unions but they are there for us workers, to get the best possible for us.

I mean look how life was for workers before trade unions existed, long hours, low pay, dangerous and filthy conditions and no workers rights at all. This is what it was like in Europe and America 100 years ago and how it is today's developing nations.

Even now, trade unions have there place in society

Xbox One, PS4 and Switch (+ Many Retro Consoles)

'When the people are being beaten with a stick, they are not much happier if it is called the people's stick'- Mikhail Bakunin

Prediction: Switch will sell better than Wii U Lifetime Sales by Jan 1st 2018

Unions can't be blamed for this. Sure, they drove the final nail in the coffin, but Hostess's demise has been on the cards for years, now... through a combination of changing consumer demands and poor management.

On the topic of unions themselves. I have no problems with them. People should be free to associate with whoever they want. At the same time, however, they should also be free to not associate with whoever they want - forced membership or forced payments of union dues, I am against.

OP, stop posting right wing nonsense.

Hostess was a pathetic financial mess. The bakers union didnt kill the company, poor business decisions over the last 10yrs did. That and republican policies of the early 2000's you know the global economic recession caused by deregulation in the financial markets.

Just shut up, goofball lol.

User was banned for this post - Kantor

WindyCityHeat said:
OP, stop posting right wing nonsense.

Hostess was a pathetic financial mess. The bakers union didnt kill the company, poor business decisions over the last 10yrs did. That and republican policies of the early 2000's you know the global economic recession caused by deregulation in the financial markets.

Just shut up, goofball lol.

I'm curious.  Can you actually name any of the republican policies of the early 2000's that you think caused this?

Around the Network

Honestly, unions are not in the best interests of anyone ...

Unions thrive when employees are unhappy with their work conditions and management has an adversarial relationship with their workers, and (as a result) this is the kind of environment that successful unions create.

Pay attention to what most union members want, what management is looking for, and what the union negotiates for and you will see that the 3 don't look anything alike. I first observed this with the teachers union when I was in high school:

1) Teachers wanted better classroom materials, smaller class sizes, and a small raise
2) The education board was going to allocate 1/3 of the budget increase to materials, 1/3 of the budget increase to hiring more teachers, and 1/3 to salary increases
3) The union went on strike until management agreed to give teachers a massive raise that took up all budgetary increases

4 years later, when working conditions got worse the teachers were far more angry with management and far more willing to strike; and they got another contract where all spending increases went towards increasing teachers' salaries.

As a general guideline, working for a union will give you a more secure job at a higher salary, but working outside of a union will give you a better work environment surrounded by better co-workers and a management team that (better) understands and responds to your needs as an employee

HappySqurriel said:
Honestly, unions are not in the best interests of anyone ...

Unions thrive when employees are unhappy with their work conditions and management has an adversarial relationship with their workers, and (as a result) this is the kind of environment that successful unions create.

Pay attention to what most union members want, what management is looking for, and what the union negotiates for and you will see that the 3 don't look anything alike. I first observed this with the teachers union when I was in high school:

1) Teachers wanted better classroom materials, smaller class sizes, and a small raise
2) The education board was going to allocate 1/3 of the budget increase to materials, 1/3 of the budget increase to hiring more teachers, and 1/3 to salary increases
3) The union went on strike until management agreed to give teachers a massive raise that took up all budgetary increases

4 years later, when working conditions got worse the teachers were far more angry with management and far more willing to strike; and they got another contract where all spending increases went towards increasing teachers' salaries.

As a general guideline, working for a union will give you a more secure job at a higher salary, but working outside of a union will give you a better work environment surrounded by better co-workers and a management team that (better) understands and responds to your needs as an employee

In some cases. But that really depends on whether you're working for a company that has its heart in the right place.

For instance, retail jobs are in bad need of unionization. For instance: forcing companies to back out of Thanksgiving-day sales.

Monster Hunter: pissing me off since 2010.

thranx said:
the only Unions I am against are public sector employee unions. That is only because as a voting block public sector unions basically just vote themselves raises out of tax payer money. Any other unions I am fine with, but they must be careful not to price themselves out of the market.

I pretty much agree with this.  Also among puplic sector unions I think that teacher unions are the worse because for the most part they make bad teachers unfireable.

SamuelRSmith said:
Unions can't be blamed for this. Sure, they drove the final nail in the coffin, but Hostess's demise has been on the cards for years, now... through a combination of changing consumer demands and poor management.

On the topic of unions themselves. I have no problems with them. People should be free to associate with whoever they want. At the same time, however, they should also be free to not associate with whoever they want - forced membership or forced payments of union dues, I am against.

High commodities prices for sugar had also something to do with.  Also it looks like Bimbo Bread will buy up their assets.  They can be profitable selling the same products since they has access to cheaper Mexican sugar.

Chris Hu said:
SamuelRSmith said:

High commodities prices for sugar had also something to do with.  Also it looks like Bimbo Bread will buy up their assets.  They can be profitable selling the same products since they has access to cheaper Mexican sugar.

That by the way pisses me off.

I have to live with crappier tasting soda because some jackass congressmen feel the need to put giant tarrifs on sugar to protect the corn industry.

Screw the corn industry.  The corn industry can sell that corn as food.

Give me real sugar sweetenres instead of high fructose corn syrup, and cheaper cleaner sugarcane ethanol over the inferior corn based stuff.