By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - LittleBigPlanet Karting (we need to talk about this)

Hopefully will have Little big Planet (PSP) legs opened to 50,000 and is now at 2.1million!

PSP Lifetime more than PSV+3DS Lifetime.

Around the Network
S.T.A.G.E. said:

LBP is a casual title with a deep customization factor that is a draw for core gamers. Casuals dont want that crap. They just want a simple casual title  with a marketable looking character that is fun to play like Mario, Crash or Sonic.

Evidence: There's a simple and powerful Mario level editor (Lunar Magic) out there. Not one course created with it is easier than anything in SMW. The people that actually make levels are into frame-perfect jumps and spikes everywhere.

S.T.A.G.E. said:

LBP is a casual title with a deep customization factor that is a draw for core gamers. Casuals dont want that crap. They just want a simple casual title  with a marketable looking character that is fun to play like Mario, Crash or Sonic.

I'm not too sure about that. Where i'm from at least, Minecraft seems to be pretty big with casuals around here (especially with kids). I think it comes down to the fact that it's a lot simpler to create things in Minecraft (from what i understand, i haven't played it myself) and that the creation is woven into the gameplay. 

To be honest, i think LBP's gameplay is simple and fun enough for casual gamers, but the marketing behind the character isn't as solid as the titles you mentioned. I think if Sony want to create an alternative to Mario, they need to have a game that's named after the character. Like "Super Mario Brothers", "Crash Bandicoot", "Sonic the Hedgehog", "Angry Birds", "Pac-Man" etc. That way they would always be markeing the game and the character at the same time.

This is why i don't think Puppeteer or TearAWay will do the job either (as suggested by posters above) despite the fact that they both look like excellent games. 

Everyone is waiting for Sonic All-Stars Racing Transformed, the superior kart racer.

pezus said:
This should've been a Vita game from the start imo.

The Vita has ModNation Racer.  Do you think having a second Karting title for the Vita would of made a difference?

Around the Network
NinjaMonkeyLuchadore said:
S.T.A.G.E. said:

I'm not too sure about that. Where i'm from at least, Minecraft seems to be pretty big with casuals around here (especially with kids). I think it comes down to the fact that it's a lot simpler to create things in Minecraft (from what i understand, i haven't played it myself) and that the creation is woven into the gameplay. 

To be honest, i think LBP's gameplay is simple and fun enough for casual gamers, but the marketing behind the character isn't as solid as the titles you mentioned. I think if Sony want to create an alternative to Mario, they need to have a game that's named after the character. Like "Super Mario Brothers", "Crash Bandicoot", "Sonic the Hedgehog", "Angry Birds", "Pac-Man" etc. That way they would always be markeing the game and the character at the same time.

This is why i don't think Puppeteer or TearAWay will do the job either (as suggested by posters above) despite the fact that they both look like excellent games. 

You can play Minecraft a lot of ways.  Not sure if saying "casual" is the right word for Minecraft.  It is accessible, but generally will draw in people who get hooked on it.

Max King of the Wild said:
It's because Obama was re-elected. Nobody has money on novelties anymore.

Well, I do.  Yes, things change.  But enough about this morphing into a political thread...

richardhutnik said:
pezus said:

The Vita has ModNation Racer.  Do you think having a second Karting title for the Vita would of made a difference?

The PS3 has Modnation Racers and Twisted Metal (going against the less racer and more vehicular combat games in LBPK). Do you think having a second Karting title for the PS3 would of made a difference?

4 ≈ One

Dgc1808 said:
richardhutnik said:
pezus said:

The PS3 has Modnation Racers and Twisted Metal (going against the less racer and more vehicular combat games in LBPK). Do you think having a second Karting title for the PS3 would of made a difference?

Unless a genre is huge, it doesn't benefit a console to have more than one of it around launch window.  I also believe you want a title to be a flagship of sorts for a genre on the console.

i know Sony didn't expect LPB karting to do any better then this. MNR2