By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Wii U Storage Details Info

freebs2 said:
This is a BIG fail imo. I don't care about the OS space, in the end 8GB or 3GB won't make a difference if you intend to download content. But, the "closed" format sistem nullifies the benefits of the external drive option.

I know.  Just how the PS3 formats the internal HDD so you can't put it back in your PC.

Right?

The rEVOLution is not being televised

Around the Network
Viper1 said:
freebs2 said:
This is a BIG fail imo. I don't care about the OS space, in the end 8GB or 3GB won't make a difference if you intend to download content. But, the "closed" format sistem nullifies the benefits of the external drive option.

I know.  Just how the PS3 formats the internal HDD so you can't put it back in your PC.

Right?

Yes, but on Ps3 you have 100+ GB of already avaliable space in the internl hard drive, you don't need another storage.

Their choice to pack WiiU with a cheap flash storage that can be later expanded with your HDD makes sense only if you can use any HDD you have in your house. If you have to format the file system, than it's no different than using a proprietary drive.

freebs2 said:
Viper1 said:
freebs2 said:

Right?

Yes, but on Ps3 you have 100+ GB of already avaliable space in the internl hard drive, you don't need another storage.

Their choice to pack WiiU with a cheap flash storage that can be later expander with your hard drive makes sense only if you can use any HHD you have in your house. If you have to format the file system, than it's no different than using a proprietary drive.

You're missing the point.   If you want to increase the storage capacity of your PS3, you have to purchase a 2.5" internal HDD and format it for your PS3.  It then becomes unreadable by your PC unless you reformat it back to NTSF or whatever you OS uses.  You can't just use any HDD in your house for the PS3 either.   It must be a 2.5" laptop style drive.

With Wii U, you can buy a complete external HDD or buy an external case and turn any HDD you want into an external HDD.

Yes, the built in storage is low but you compalained about the "closed storage system".  What I'm telling you is that the same thing happens with a PS3 stoage upgrade.

The rEVOLution is not being televised

can u hook up a usb hard drive to the wiiu from day one??

VITA 32 GIG CARD.250 GIG SLIM & 160 GIG PHAT PS3

KylieDog said:
Has it been tested yet if you can just format part of the external HD, or does it really require you format the entire thing for use with WiiU only?

My question exactly. I'd like to know if I could partition half of my external for this so I don't have to buy another external