By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - 3DS outsells Vita by over 46:1 in Japan, 40:1 in different tracker

First reaction to Vita sales?

Yikes! 87 20.91%

Terrible! 28 6.73%

Awful! 23 5.53%

Dead! 113 27.16%

Poor Vita... 79 18.99%

Nice sales! 72 17.31%

Other 14 3.37%

Total:416

As for the OP...Ouch! is all I can say...the Vita is only Sony´s second handheld system, but maybe it´ll be the last too, at least in the 'dedicated gaming handheld' department.

Around the Network
Conegamer said:
JGarret said:
Conegamer said:
amp316 said:
Conegamer said:
naruball said:
Yes, this definitely deserved a thread.

I don't know about you, but 2 rivalling devices with one being outsold ~45:1 is certainly not a good sign, and is certainly something that should be highlighted. I can't recall a time in the past where such a thing has happened.

I remember when this site was always about sales.  That was a long time ago.

Don't bring that up; you're making me all nostalgic. 

Those were the days alright...perhaps the WiiU will present some excitement but I just don't know.

Conegamer, is this your first profile?..it says you joined in the end of August 2010..now I don´t really remember, but if I´m not mistaken by that time the site had already ceased to be always about sales...that was back in 07 and 08.

Yes it is my first profile. I was just a lurker back as long as '08, before any of the VGChartz divisions into different catergories. But even in 2010 there was a lot of sales talk; namely around the Wii dropping off and the PS3 rising. But now; even with the launch of a new system next week, there seems to be relatively little sales interest.

Bank on the end of next year for the interest to be reignited.

JGarret said:
Conegamer said:
JGarret said:
Conegamer said:

Those were the days alright...perhaps the WiiU will present some excitement but I just don't know.

Conegamer, is this your first profile?..it says you joined in the end of August 2010..now I don´t really remember, but if I´m not mistaken by that time the site had already ceased to be always about sales...that was back in 07 and 08.

Yes it is my first profile. I was just a lurker back as long as '08, before any of the VGChartz divisions into different catergories. But even in 2010 there was a lot of sales talk; namely around the Wii dropping off and the PS3 rising. But now; even with the launch of a new system next week, there seems to be relatively little sales interest.

Yeah I guess so, but the site has moved so far away from sales I have little hope of it ever returning to it.

Here lies the dearly departed Nintendomination Thread.

Conegamer said:
JGarret said:
Conegamer said:
JGarret said:
Conegamer said:

Yeah I guess so, but the site has moved so far away from sales I have little hope of it ever returning to it.

As all three next generation systems are released, it´s inevitable we´ll see some sort of return to sales, to what extent we´ll have to wait and see..now if you ask me, I don´t think it´ll go back to being just the way it was, things changed, but if I can see a few funny personalities returning (john lucas, Avinash, mikeb, etc..), then perhaps some funny and heated sales discussions will be there.

That´s what I like about a new generation, it´s a whole new game, we´re back at 0, the unpredictability and all that...this gen has been something special due to the way things turned out, the PS2/GC/Xbox gen was boring, now I´m hoping for a very heated battle next gen...the more heated it is, the more potential for better sales discussions.

You gotta wonder what Sony is thinking right now.

All the bad press around bad Vita sales is actually hurting Vita sales. Why should someone buy into a dying console?

Around the Network
spurgeonryan said:

Here are officials. Sorry conegamer. You were close though!

Animal Crossing 3DS sells 721k in Japanese opening week

Propels 3DS to outsell Vita by margin of 39 to one.

Animal Crossing: New Leaf has notched up an eye-watering 721,786 sales during its opening week.

That number doesn't include digital downloads from the 3DS eShop. Early indications show this may account for up to 80,000 more.

Famitsu's latest Japanese chart numbers (via Vgchartz ( I changed the site vgchartians.) reveal a huge spike in 3DS hardware sales corresponding to Animal Crossing's launch. 168,662 3DS units were sold between 5th and 11th November, double that of the preceding week.

Astonishingly, lifetime sales of the 3DS in Japan (now just over 8 million) look set to overtake lifetime sales of the PlayStation 3 (8.47 million) in the next few weeks.

PlayStation Vita again sank to its lowest ebb, a week on from another lifetime low. Just 4263 bought one in Japan, down from 5368 the week before.

Elsewhere in the chart Halo 4 launched with sales of 31,467 - no mean feat for an Xbox 360 exclusive in Japan.

Western fans of Animal Crossing must wait until next year for their copy. New Leaf is currently labelled with a vague "first half of 2013" launch date in Europe.

Aww, will change topic title.

Here lies the dearly departed Nintendomination Thread.

Maynard_Tool said:
Were people expecting these kind of sales for AC? I never knew it was this big in japan

Wild Word sold over 5m in Japan on the DS, and this AC adds a lot of different things to the mix (considering you are mayor now).  3DS also has a better online offering infrastructure than the DS (only one system code to add, street pass, etc).  Looks like New Leaf will easily pass Wild World in lifetime sales.  I think this game can be at least a 18m seller.

Conegamer said:
spurgeonryan said:

Here are officials. Sorry conegamer. You were close though!

Animal Crossing 3DS sells 721k in Japanese opening week

Propels 3DS to outsell Vita by margin of 39 to one.

Animal Crossing: New Leaf has notched up an eye-watering 721,786 sales during its opening week.

That number doesn't include digital downloads from the 3DS eShop. Early indications show this may account for up to 80,000 more.

Famitsu's latest Japanese chart numbers (via Vgchartz ( I changed the site vgchartians.) reveal a huge spike in 3DS hardware sales corresponding to Animal Crossing's launch. 168,662 3DS units were sold between 5th and 11th November, double that of the preceding week.

Astonishingly, lifetime sales of the 3DS in Japan (now just over 8 million) look set to overtake lifetime sales of the PlayStation 3 (8.47 million) in the next few weeks.

PlayStation Vita again sank to its lowest ebb, a week on from another lifetime low. Just 4263 bought one in Japan, down from 5368 the week before.

Elsewhere in the chart Halo 4 launched with sales of 31,467 - no mean feat for an Xbox 360 exclusive in Japan.

Western fans of Animal Crossing must wait until next year for their copy. New Leaf is currently labelled with a vague "first half of 2013" launch date in Europe.

Aww, will change topic title.

They are as official numbers as the other tracker. One says ~40:1, the other ~46:1, it doesn't change all that much.

I don't know if Vita is dead or if Sony's just going to have to settle for not having a large install base for the system. Nintendo managed to make a tidy profit from it's GameCube business even though the GameCube was a poor seller for most of it's life.

spurgeonryan said:

I thought Iwata said it sold over 200,000 digitally on e-shop? Like, the worldwide president of Nintendo-Iwata.

Nintendo Network ID: Cheebee   3DS Code: 2320 - 6113 - 9046