By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Your Top 50 Games: 2012 Discussion Thread: FINISH YOUR LISTS

shogia said:
Veknoid_Outcast said:

I have a few to catch up on:

13. Banjo-Kazooie

12. Super Mario Bros. 3

11. StarCraft

Clue for #10:

The name of the protagonist is in the title, but it doesn't refer directly to him.

This was a couple pages back but I didn't see any answers, sorry if I missed one.

The Legend of Zelda:  A Link to the Past

That's it! Good job.

Around the Network

#10.

The Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past

While not necessarily the greatest Zelda game ever developed, A Link to the Past is definitely the quintessential Zelda experience; it established many of the items, enemies, and tropes that appear in almost every Zelda game. Once again players control Link, the once and future hero of Hyrule, in his quest to rid the land of evil. Along the way, he crisscrosses a huge world map filled with oddball characters, ingenious dungeons (A Link to the Past has the most dungeons of any Zelda game), and more secrets than the life of an American teenager. If Ocarina of Time, The Wind Waker, and Twilight Princess achieved greatness, it's because they stood on the shoulders of this giant.

Clue for #9:

This game was so good no one could make a sequel for 8 years, and even then it wasn't the original team :P

#10 - Metal Gear Solid (PS1)

At the time I bought MGS, it was literally all you could hear about when reading Playstation magazines.  They kept touting 'best game ever', 'groundbreaking' and so on, and I thought "this will never live up to the hype".  How wrong I was.

I had never really played a stealth action game before so MGS was my introduction, and what an introduction it was.  Perfectly mixing stealth gameplay with moments of all-out action, it's the first time I actually felt like I was playing an interactive film while gaming.  When you add in one of the most interesting plotlines I'd experienced at the time (never expected that twist - thought it was great when it happened though) and a fantastic cast of bad guys (never bettered in my opinion) then you have the start of a legendary series.  No other game at the time had me sneaking through the snow, petrified beyond belief at being spotted and then having me take down a Hind D helicopter moments later.  The atmosphere in the game was just electric, and I can see why Kojima felt the need to revisit it in MGS4.

Clue for my #09 - The other PS1 classic. Brought a genre crashing into the mainstream more than ever in glorious 3D, a first for the series.

Around the Network
Kresnik said:
Clue for my #09 - The other PS1 classic. Brought a genre crashing into the mainstream more than ever in glorious 3D, a first for the series.

Final Fantasy VII, the game I shamefully placed lower on the list :P

Veknoid_Outcast said:
Kresnik said:

Final Fantasy VII, the game I shamefully placed lower on the list :P

SHAME ON YOU.

I'll let you off for guessing this!

Veknoid_Outcast said:
Clue for #9:

This game was so good no could make a sequel for 8 years, and even then it wasn't the original team :P

Super Metroid?

Player2 said:
Veknoid_Outcast said:
Clue for #9:

This game was so good no could make a sequel for 8 years, and even then it wasn't the original team :P

Super Metroid?

Damn, I think you beat me to it -_-

Player2 said:
Veknoid_Outcast said:
Clue for #9:

Super Metroid?

Super Metroid it is :)