By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - The PS3/Xbox 360 Holiday Sales Gap Thread! (Updated: January 11th) - ADJUSTMENTS! Last week is UP!, PS3 and X360 basically back to where the table began, PS3 1.5 million sold more then X360 in 2012

pokoko said:
Lostplanet22 said:
riderz13371 said:
vfguy said:
The fact that Sony has only tied the 360 thus far has to be seen as a failure regardless of what happens, considering they came off the most successful console of all time, and have sold well in three territories against Microsoft's two territories.

Failure in sales, success in games. Sony wins in the heart of a TRUE gamer regardless of what place they are in for sales. Yes it is a business and they need to make money but I believe that sooner or later people will realize what they have been missing by not buying a Sony console. Hopefully they don't let us down with the PS4 (which they won't). 

Then why true gamers are not buying their games?

Just curious, but what are you talking about?  

Well it is his 'sony wins in the heart of a True gamer' while sony said themselve that they can release a console wihtout a game and they will still found 5 million who will buy it'  that are not true gamers...That are idiots.

Around the Network
MaulerX said:
Personally, if for some miraculous reason either the 360 or the PS3 end up outselling the Wii, then I would never say that either of those consoles "won" the generation. Fully knowing that everyone is now focused on the Wii U. Sure, it will matter to some and perhaps to some degree. But the same will hold true when the next PS/Xbox come out.

There are many ways to judge victory. Each company will judge according to profit. The numbers only matter in how they relate to making more profit than the rival company by picking up customers over the rival. The PS3 and 360 so far are pretty much dead even and a small lead is just a small bragging right.

And no' not everyone is focused on the Wii u, most ninety fans do not have one yet. Not to mention it will be very interesting to see how well these 7 year old consoles sell next to this new product.

MaulerX said:
dsgrue3 said:
MaulerX said:
pezus said:
MaulerX said:
Personally, if for some miraculous reason either the 360 or the PS3 end up outselling the Wii, then I would never say that either of those consoles "won" the generation. Fully knowing that everyone is now focused on the Wii U. Sure, it will matter to some and perhaps to some degree. But the same will hold true when the next PS/Xbox come out.

It's just a fact though that if they would pass the Wii, they sold more than the Wii...

Oh but of course. But would you say they "won the generation"? I'm pretty sure if you ran a poll most people would logically say that the Wii won this generation even if it got outsold after the next generation started.

If you polled them today, they would agree. If you polled someone 10 years from now, the final results would be reviewed and a "winner" declared based upon sales. It is a difference between opinion versus fact. The sales are the facts.

That's the thing. If the clear rule is how much a system sold (even if it overlaps several generations) then fine, I would never argue that. But there doesn't seem to be a clear rule. Plenty of people seem to believe that if a new generation starts, then technically the old generation ends. In a hot dog eating contest, if you happen to eat a few extra dogs after the time limit expired, then more power to you, it still doesn't count for the purpose of what's being judged.

your analogy should be something like this. 2 companies sell hot dogs, the 1st company sells 60 hot dogs in 60 min while the 2nd company sold 20. Thier is a new hot dog brand that is superior to the old hot dogs coming out in the next 60 min The next 60 min the 2nd company sells 100 old hot dogs while the 1st sells 40. Who won?

ironmanDX said:
dsgrue3 said:
MaulerX said:
pezus said:
MaulerX said:

It's just a fact though that if they would pass the Wii, they sold more than the Wii...

Oh but of course. But would you say they "won the generation"? I'm pretty sure if you ran a poll most people would logically say that the Wii won this generation even if it got outsold after the next generation started.

If you polled them today, they would agree. If you polled someone 10 years from now, the final results would be reviewed and a "winner" declared based upon sales. It is a difference between opinion versus fact. The sales are the facts.

Not always. M$ will have beaten Sony no matter the end sales result. Profit, marketshare, brand awareness.....

Hahaha no.

cookingyourmama said:
ironmanDX said:
dsgrue3 said:
MaulerX said:
pezus said:
MaulerX said:

Not always. M$ will have beaten Sony no matter the end sales result. Profit, marketshare, brand awareness.....

Hahaha no.

Wow, never seen such a well structured response to my opionion..... Nice rebuttal champ. I'll give you a gold star for effort!!!

Around the Network
ironmanDX said:
cookingyourmama said:
ironmanDX said:
dsgrue3 said:
MaulerX said:
pezus said:
MaulerX said:

Hahaha no.

Wow, never seen such a well structured response to my opionion..... Nice rebuttal champ. I'll give you a gold star for effort!!!

The level of response was equal to the level of your post, thanks for the gold star tho.

cookingyourmama said:
ironmanDX said:
cookingyourmama said:
ironmanDX said:
dsgrue3 said:
MaulerX said:
pezus said:
MaulerX said:

Hahaha no.

The level of response was equal to the level of your post, thanks for the gold star tho.

Where is your rebuttal then? You just said no.

ironmanDX said:
cookingyourmama said:
ironmanDX said:
cookingyourmama said:
ironmanDX said:
dsgrue3 said:
MaulerX said:
pezus said:
MaulerX said:

Hahaha no.

Where is your rebuttal then? You just said no.

No detailed response was required when you're original post was so ridiculous and asinine.

sales2099 said:
Blood_Tears said:
sales2099 said:
dsgrue3 said:
Lotta strange logic in this thread.

Simply because a new generation has begun does not mean the old generational race is over. Until all of these units are no longer being produced and sold, it persists. The company is still selling the units, they certainly do not consider it "over".

You can keep selling, but the "race" is actually over.

For example you can argue this gen started in November 2005 with Xbox 360 launching and ended November 2012 with WiiU launching.

That is the "window of relevance", when any victories actually count for something. Anything outside this window is hollow.

There is no set of rules or guidelines for how a "window of relevance" is applied. This is simply your own personal thoughts or opinions which of course will differ from alot of people on here.

For instance, I know that when X360 passes the Wii in the UK and the USA there will be a thread created about it on this site. Alot of people will post in it and congratulate the X360 for it's "victory" in those specific regions. You might even post in it yourself giving congrats as well. These inevitable threads that will be created won't be (IMO) "hollow victories". They will just be a fact for sales comparisons as numbers don't lie. The same will likely happen with PS3 and X360 with over all shipment numbers. You said it yourself in a previous post that you tire of seeing PS3 on top all year round and now that 360 is on top, "all is right with the world". Just because you don't want it to happen, doesn't mean it won't come to fruition anyway. 

Because you move the goal posts to suit your personal opinion is fine for you, we all get that. But it's still your personal opinion. I would suspect that not many others share this same belief here. You will see it soon enough when 360 passes the Wii in the UK in the very near future and everyone will be saying that 360 was the market leader in the UK. (even after Wii U is released)

My own personal belief is the same as "dsgrue3", it's over when they stop selling or discontinued. That's my defination of the "race".

There is no guidelines, but I am using commin sense. Any real victory is when the current gen consoles are the latest thing. When the new ones come out, the spotlight (and interest) is shifted. So any meaningfulness is stripped if PS3 were to take 2nd place when the next gen consoles are out (and likely the next Xbox is getting a head start on PS4).

You can keep selling, but the race is only as long as the current gen lasts. Any selling beyond that is a victory lap.

Tell you what, I will move my own personal goal posts for another year. The gen "relevance" will end holiday 2013. Xbox started this gen and the next Xbox will finish it.

Is it your purpose in life to root for Microsoft and spin everything into a victory for them?  I guess you think Genesis outsold SNES then?  Also I guess PS2 only sold 104 million and not 155 million?  In 10 years time, everyone will see the sales numbers and for all time see the PS3 ahead of 360, and therefore the winner.  Lawyered.

Get Your Portable ID!Lord of Ratchet and Clank

Duke of Playstation Plus

Warden of Platformers

platformmaster918 said:
sales2099 said:
Blood_Tears said:
sales2099 said:
dsgrue3 said:
Lotta strange logic in this thread.

Simply because a new generation has begun does not mean the old generational race is over. Until all of these units are no longer being produced and sold, it persists. The company is still selling the units, they certainly do not consider it "over".

You can keep selling, but the "race" is actually over.

For example you can argue this gen started in November 2005 with Xbox 360 launching and ended November 2012 with WiiU launching.

That is the "window of relevance", when any victories actually count for something. Anything outside this window is hollow.

There is no set of rules or guidelines for how a "window of relevance" is applied. This is simply your own personal thoughts or opinions which of course will differ from alot of people on here.

For instance, I know that when X360 passes the Wii in the UK and the USA there will be a thread created about it on this site. Alot of people will post in it and congratulate the X360 for it's "victory" in those specific regions. You might even post in it yourself giving congrats as well. These inevitable threads that will be created won't be (IMO) "hollow victories". They will just be a fact for sales comparisons as numbers don't lie. The same will likely happen with PS3 and X360 with over all shipment numbers. You said it yourself in a previous post that you tire of seeing PS3 on top all year round and now that 360 is on top, "all is right with the world". Just because you don't want it to happen, doesn't mean it won't come to fruition anyway. 

Because you move the goal posts to suit your personal opinion is fine for you, we all get that. But it's still your personal opinion. I would suspect that not many others share this same belief here. You will see it soon enough when 360 passes the Wii in the UK in the very near future and everyone will be saying that 360 was the market leader in the UK. (even after Wii U is released)

My own personal belief is the same as "dsgrue3", it's over when they stop selling or discontinued. That's my defination of the "race".

There is no guidelines, but I am using commin sense. Any real victory is when the current gen consoles are the latest thing. When the new ones come out, the spotlight (and interest) is shifted. So any meaningfulness is stripped if PS3 were to take 2nd place when the next gen consoles are out (and likely the next Xbox is getting a head start on PS4).

You can keep selling, but the race is only as long as the current gen lasts. Any selling beyond that is a victory lap.

Tell you what, I will move my own personal goal posts for another year. The gen "relevance" will end holiday 2013. Xbox started this gen and the next Xbox will finish it.

Is it your purpose in life to root for Microsoft and spin everything into a victory for them?  I guess you think Genesis outsold SNES then?  Also I guess PS2 only sold 104 million and not 155 million?  In 10 years time, everyone will see the sales numbers and for all time see the PS3 ahead of 360, and therefore the winner.  Lawyered.

You dont get it.....PS2 sold 155 but the spotlight shifted after 104.

In ten years, you could argyue 360 won by increasing its market share and profits gen over gen where as Sony declined. In the end, just seems like a weak win if it takes 2nd place only after the next gen arrives.

Xbox: Best hardware, Game Pass best value, best BC, more 1st party genres and multiplayer titles.