By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Wii U has no ethernet port

Viper1 said:
selnor said:
Player2 said:

You're late in that Selnor, we have posted measurements and the lag USB adds is ~0.1 ms.

Thats alot in a shooter. Damn.

If you can actually perceive a 0.1 ms difference in an online game, I'll pay you $1,000,000 every day for the rest of your life.

You realize this much faster than the cones and rods in our eyes can actually accumulate and transmit photonic data?  Add in neural recognition and it's even worse.

That's 1/50th the time of the average digital camera's standard 1/125 shutter speed (faster than the fastest shutter speed available on any conumer grade DSLR camera)   Or 1/4,000 the time it takes you to blink.  

The TV lag and controller lag are far, far greater than that anyway.

I'm so hardcore that I play with toothpicks keeping my eyelids open. I don't want a blink at the wrong moment letting some fool getting the jump on me.

Around the Network
Paul said:

I'm so hardcore that I play with toothpicks keeping my eyelids open. I don't want a blink at the wrong moment letting some fool getting the jump on me.

Nintendo and PC gamer

A lot of people don't have routers right next to their living room TV's so that might be partially why. If I had to choose one over the other, I would rather have Wifi and buy a router. Time to upgrade :)

runqvist said:

I use my own eyesight, which happen to match quite nicely with those maximum viewing distances. Thx is not the only standard used there, you would know that if you would have read those links. There is even a calculator which allows you to find out maximum distances to fully enjoy various resolutions, those are made with human vision in mind.  Also my setup gives me 16.2 degree viewing angle with 47" tv, not 40.

There is a word to describe people like you.

Intelligent?

RolStoppable said:
amp316 said:
Player2 said:

He needs one to review Wii U games for metacritic, so yes.

Please keep Turkish's behaviors off of this site, off of this site.  I see that you have no moderations on your record so I will only issue you a verbal warning.  This goes for everyone : Don't bring up anyone's past indiscretions on or off of the site up.  We have been having quite a lot of trouble with this sort of thing from many of you guys.  The moderators here are aware of everyone's past records and take these things into consideration.  We don't want past drama to be current drama.

I agree that bad behavior on other sites shouldn't lead to moderations on VGC, but neither should bad behavior on other sites be protected by the moderators here on VGC. As long as Turkish keeps rating games either a 10 or a 0 on Metacritic (which he still does), he has to live with people taking stabs at him for it whenever his credibility as a a gamer becomes the topic. If Turkish wants to be treated with respect, he has to take the first step.

I will leave you the same response on here as I did for noname on my wall.  There isn't a protect Turkish rule or anything like that.  He's been banned before.  It's just that there are rules against flaming and derailing.  It's gotten to the point where Turkish will write a thread about lima beans then five people will swoop in and say that they hope that he chokes on those lima beans because he gave Gears Of War 3 a 1/10.

Proud member of the SONIC SUPPORT SQUAD

Tag "Sorry man. Someone pissed in my Wheaties."

"There are like ten games a year that sell over a million units."  High Voltage CEO -  Eric Nofsinger

Around the Network
Viper1 said:
selnor said:
Player2 said:

You're late in that Selnor, we have posted measurements and the lag USB adds is ~0.1 ms.

Thats alot in a shooter. Damn.

If you can actually perceive a 0.1 ms difference in an online game, I'll pay you $1,000,000 every day for the rest of your life.

You realize this much faster than the cones and rods in our eyes can actually accumulate and transmit photonic data?  Add in neural recognition and it's even worse.

That's 1/50th the time of the average digital camera's standard 1/125 shutter speed (faster than the fastest shutter speed available on any conumer grade DSLR camera)   Or 1/4,000 the time it takes you to blink.  

The TV lag and controller lag are far, far greater than that anyway.

Selnor is not known for doing good math so you need to explain in details that .1ms is 1/10000th of a second, even if a game runs in, lets say, ideally 60FPS, that's about  .006 per frame difference LOL! Anyways, like you said before in this thread, dongle is 15 bucks on amazon, but I just want to once again stress that you can find it in a lot of other places for like 10 USD, I'd encourage people to get them while they still can. Wifi is bad because of the way it deals with data, there are too many small packets  constantly going which makes it a lot more inefficient over wireless compared to an actual wire connection, even playing MHTri with my dongle was much better than wifi and that's with an AP right in my room!

morenoingrato said:
brendude13 said:
morenoingrato said:
Ethernet gives me 187ms ping.
Wi-Fi gives me 235ms ping.

I do just fine with both. People really complain about 3ms?

Both are absolutely awful.

I know, it's kind of a standard in my city.

I can play decently with those though:

I hope you are joking because that's a huge difference in ping. The general ideal ping is really under 100, and if you are close to the server, it'd be like 10-30 usually, 48ms ping is really huge if you are playing a FPS and shitty ping is fucking up a lot of games these days for games like BF3 on PC because they coded it to compensate for people with higher ping so a lot of times higher ping people have the advantage, thought not really a problem since most servers kick you right out with over 100ms ping anyways, that part of PC gaming hasn't changed lol.

dahuman said:
morenoingrato said:
brendude13 said:
morenoingrato said:
Ethernet gives me 187ms ping.
Wi-Fi gives me 235ms ping.

I do just fine with both. People really complain about 3ms?

Both are absolutely awful.

I know, it's kind of a standard in my city.

I can play decently with those though:

I hope you are joking because that's a huge difference in ping. The general ideal ping is really under 100, and if you are close to the server, it'd be like 10-30 usually, 48ms ping is really huge if you are playing a FPS and shitty ping is fucking up a lot of games these days for games like BF3 on PC because they coded it to compensate for people with higher ping so a lot of times higher ping people have the advantage, thought not really a problem since most servers kick you right out with over 100ms ping anyways, that part of PC gaming hasn't changed lol.

Those pings are horrendous to be honest, it reminds me of my dialup gaming days, the few times I had to do it (lets say primarily games like Team Fortress) it was a good day at just under 300ms, today on a 25mbps line I can typically find a great connection at 14-25ms.

I played MH3 and Mario Kart with those just fine...

morenoingrato said:

I played MH3 and Mario Kart with those just fine...

at least you are not playing FPS so that's fine lol, MHTri monster tracking is based on your Wii, not where it's at on other people's screens so it's usually pretty safe.