By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Wii U has no ethernet port

Viper1 said:
Turkish said:
Viper1 said:
Turkish said:
Disappointing, ethernet port is a must because my wifi is shit.

Buy the dongle.   $15 from Amazon.

I'm not gonna spend an extra €15.

Not like you're going to buy the console anyway.  So I suppose it would be pointless for you to buy the adapter with no console to connect it to.  But if you are serious about actually buying the consoel and playing online and your Wi-Fi truly is shit, then are you going to let a $15 dongle be such an issue?

Just curious but how do you feel about the PS Vita and memory cards?

KylieDog said:

1. No, online gaming is even worse, he was testing speed between router and PC.  Going between router and then to someone elses home, then across their wireless network to the host machine, then back again to all other players (which any P2P hosting game such as CoD will be doing if everyone is wireless) is three times as bad at the very least.  Downloading is just transfering data, same as gaming.

2. Houses have walls, ceilings too.

3. Yeah, happens with wireless networks often, especially if other networks are nearby, such as in an office, or on a street where more than one person has a wireless network.  From my house right now I can detect 13.  Or where microwaves or cordless phones and plenty other things than can interfere with a wifi signal are.  One of the reasons why wired is better, you see.

4. Ping is not the only thing that matters, as his data transfer proved.

5. Yeah they will be through multiple walls and/or ceilings, or else why bother with a wireless network?  Office building/house on a street, both have similar interference.  It wouldn't have been 100ft away either, the ethernet cable was 100ft, if he going through doors and twisting about in an office building then it isn't a 100ft straight line, not to meantion the slack on the cable making it a lot shorter too.

6. Why the extra cost of a basic thing passed onto consumer, and this will not help being put in games with players who default to wireless play because no other option out the box.

His video would have shown wireless to be even worse if he turned on a microwave during all three tests, since only the wireless would have suffered from it and that 3ms ping would have gone to shit

1. No, he was testing speed between his PC and the network server.  Not his router.  Downloading is most certainloy not the same as online gaming.  Download is limited only by the upload source and your download speed.   Online gaming can actually work just fine a 1 mbps connection.  I can even get 512 kbps connection to have a solid online gaming experience.   Latency is the key, not download speed.

2.  Indeed they do, but few people have houses with as many walls, wireless connections, interference and distance from rotuer as an office building does.  if you do, congrats....you live in an office building.

3. Didn't I already talk about optimisations?  yep, I sure did.  Beamforming, MIMO, channel biding, 3x3:3 arrays, etc...   Look them up.  Or don't and ignore the fact that you can focus your signal for optimum performance.

4. For online gaming, it matters very, very much.   I already told you in point 1 that you can have a solid experience with a very low speed connection so long as your latency is good.  You're still stuck in the mindframe that download speed equates to good online gamining experience.   You really need to do some homework.

5. I covered that in point 3.  Read it again.

6. I don't know why they didn't put it in at default.   Cost, board space, prevelence of Wi-Fi?  Who knows.  All 3 perhaps.  What I do know is you guys have gone overboard on the rage scale for a console you most likely had no intentions of buying to begin with over an issue easily overcome with either optimisation or a dongle.

Ah microwaves.  Unless you have a very poorly shielded microwave, your microwave sits between your router and your console or you've decided for some reason to put the microwave next to the router or the console, the imapct will be very minor it at all.  If it's really a problem, change your Wi-Fi channel.  Or given that this is 802.11 "N", use the 5 Ghz spectrum and get rid of microwave interference all together microwaves transmit at around 2.45 Ghz.  

I own all consoles, I own a Wii since the launch. I own more consoles and games than those holier than thou people here. I'll definetly buy a WiiU, I'm just waiting on a good deal. There is one for €315 for the deluxe edition from Amazon FR so I'm hesitating now.

Around the Network
Player2 said:
runqvist said:
Player2 said:

The second chart is wrong because maximum viewing distance doesn't depend on resolution. It's funny because in that graphic 480p allows you to watch the TV from a further distance than 1080p in a TV with the same size, now that's an improvement :D

Minimum viewing distance does depend on pixel size, and that depends on resolution and screen size. This is where resolution helps, not in maximum viewing distance.

That answers my question, you don't understand. Why do you even speak when you clearly have no idea?

Yeah sure. But go ahead if you want to use a chart used by movie theaters for your gaming. THX recommended distance uses a 40 degrees viewing angle. 40 degrees viewing angle is suicidal in a videogame because human eye sees like shit at 40 degrees:

Ironically the THX line in the second chart matches the data in the wikipedia article I posted.

I use my own eyesight, which happen to match quite nicely with those maximum viewing distances. Thx is not the only standard used there, you would know that if you would have read those links. There is even a calculator which allows you to find out maximum distances to fully enjoy various resolutions, those are made with human vision in mind.  Also my setup gives me 16.2 degree viewing angle with 47" tv, not 40.

There is a word to describe people like you.

Ethernet is still the chosen option by online gamera. Its faster than wifi even today.
Really bad decision. I have my 360 connected via ethernet even though it comes with wireless n builtin.

noname2200 said:
Psyberius said:

Wow stupid stupid stupid...whats it cost to put ethernet on a board..like 50 cents?  There are a TON of people who have flaky wifi or out of range.  (Or jackasses like my neighbour who bcasts 56,000 fake networks as part of protecting his own.  He has a linux program that literally broadcasts 56000 fake networks.   People in the neighbourhood that dont know how to network are totally unable to figure it out.)

In any case, wifi is FAR from being the only networking standard for people.  I'd prefer rock solid 1000mbit over wifi any day.

http://www.amazon.com/Ethernet-LAN-Adapter-Nintendo-Wii-Port/dp/B003A1KW68

*whistles*

Also, you're neighbor is a complete douchebag. But you already know that.

You realise its not the same as ethernet speed as it runs through usb???????????????????????????????????????????

selnor said:
noname2200 said:
Psyberius said:

Wow stupid stupid stupid...whats it cost to put ethernet on a board..like 50 cents?  There are a TON of people who have flaky wifi or out of range.  (Or jackasses like my neighbour who bcasts 56,000 fake networks as part of protecting his own.  He has a linux program that literally broadcasts 56000 fake networks.   People in the neighbourhood that dont know how to network are totally unable to figure it out.)

In any case, wifi is FAR from being the only networking standard for people.  I'd prefer rock solid 1000mbit over wifi any day.

*whistles*

You realise its not the same as ethernet speed as it runs through usb???????????????????????????????????????????

You're late in that Selnor, we have posted measurements and the lag USB adds is ~0.1 ms.

Edit - I don't blame you for not looking in this hell of a thread.

Around the Network
Player2 said:
selnor said:
noname2200 said:
Psyberius said:

*whistles*

You're late in that Selnor, we have posted measurements and the lag USB adds is ~0.1 ms.

Thats alot in a shooter. Damn.

Player2 said:
noname2200 said:

Turkish said:
Viper1 said:
Turkish said:
Disappointing, ethernet port is a must because my wifi is shit.

Buy the dongle.   $15 from Amazon.

I'm not gonna spend an extra €15.

But you're totally going to spend €300+ on the system. Right?

He needs one to review Wii U games for metacritic, so yes.

Please keep Turkish's behaviors off of this site, off of this site.  I see that you have no moderations on your record so I will only issue you a verbal warning.  This goes for everyone : Don't bring up anyone's past indiscretions on or off of the site up.  We have been having quite a lot of trouble with this sort of thing from many of you guys.  The moderators here are aware of everyone's past records and take these things into consideration.  We don't want past drama to be current drama.

OT  I have a fairly solid internet connection so the lack of an ethernet port doesn't bother me.  If a game gets too laggy for me, I just shut it off and do something else like watch Doctor Who reruns. 

Proud member of the SONIC SUPPORT SQUAD

Tag "Sorry man. Someone pissed in my Wheaties."

"There are like ten games a year that sell over a million units."  High Voltage CEO -  Eric Nofsinger

selnor said:
Player2 said:
selnor said:
noname2200 said:
Psyberius said:

*whistles*

no it isn't

Cobretti2 said:
selnor said:
Player2 said:
selnor said:
noname2200 said:
Psyberius said:

*whistles*

no it isn't

Um yes. I dont want to lose any extra lag I dont need to. Almost every shooter fan I know ( Halo 4, Crysis 2, MW3 ) all use Ethernet. Using anyting less is like giving them an extra gun. 

Actually I suppose it wont matter on Wii U as everyone will have that extra lag.

selnor said:
Cobretti2 said:
selnor said:
Player2 said:
selnor said:
noname2200 said:
Psyberius said:

*whistles*

no it isn't

Um yes. I dont want to lose any extra lag I dont need to. Almost every shooter fan I know ( Halo 4, Crysis 2, MW3 ) all use Ethernet. Using anyting less is like giving them an extra gun. 

Actually I suppose it wont matter on Wii U as everyone will have that extra lag.

Ok if COD runs at 60fps

1/60 = A frame every 16.666ms

adding 0.1ms lag to it = 16.766 ~ 59.7 fps, which is bugger all