By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Wii U has no ethernet port

runqvist said:

So that is something which I don't have. Too bad for you if your connection has that, get another one.

Just wait because most ISP will probably start putting caps at a certain GB.  It is like the cell phone market with text and internet.  Texting requires far less resources than a phone call but supposedly texting is something special and usually you have to pay extra for unlimited text.  Cell phone companies have been eating up profits from texting this past decade and cable companies are just as greedy as cell phone companies.  Sure some might offer unlimited data but it will be few and far between with probably less download speed (like Cricket in cell market, it is unlimited everything but the coverage usually sucks). 

My best guess would be most cable companies in USA will start capping data especially with the rise of Netflix / streaming.  I only pay for cable modem and use Netflix and Hulu Plus (might cancel it due to semi shitty offering).  You think cable companies are pleased that some are switching just to internet to stream and avoiding their overpriced bullshit cable offerings?  Also, the cable market is a monopoly in every single city in USA.  If your "local" cable company starts capping data then you only have a few options.  You can stick with it, go to DSL, or satellite internet.  Cable modem is usually the fastest for the price right now so it would mean a downgrade in speed probably.

Around the Network
runqvist said:

Actually the debate started with people defeding nintendos honour with phrases like "nobody needs ethernet" and "are you people still using 802.11b or what", when nintendo could have easily put that one ethernet port on their console. It is not like it costs a lot and it does offer advantages over wifi.

We may also get decent quality 4k streams, in fact I think that it is likely before the end of next gen. If moderately compressed 4k stream would be around 300-600mbps, I would not want to buffer it with  50mbps wifi.

Do you think that wireless-n will be available to do 300mbps or higher during next gen? I am very interested in that, care to provide me with a link?

And since you edited your post, what is a data cap?

300-600 mbps 4K data stream?  WTF?   1080 movies are generally stream at 4.5 - 9 mbps.   4k might need 20 - 36 mbps.

runqvist said:

So that is something which I don't have. Too bad for you if your connection has that, get another one.

In most countries, especially the US, we don't have competing broadband options.

The rEVOLution is not being televised

Viper1 said:
runqvist said:

Actually the debate started with people defeding nintendos honour with phrases like "nobody needs ethernet" and "are you people still using 802.11b or what", when nintendo could have easily put that one ethernet port on their console. It is not like it costs a lot and it does offer advantages over wifi.

We may also get decent quality 4k streams, in fact I think that it is likely before the end of next gen. If moderately compressed 4k stream would be around 300-600mbps, I would not want to buffer it with  50mbps wifi.

Do you think that wireless-n will be available to do 300mbps or higher during next gen? I am very interested in that, care to provide me with a link?

300-600 mbps 4K data stream?  WTF?   1080 movies are generally stream at 4.5 - 9 mbps.   4k might need 20 - 36 mbps.

runqvist said:

In most countries, especially the US, we don't have competing broadband options.

A moderately compressed bluray (1080p) can have a bandwith of 54mbps, 4k is roughly 6 times bigger resolution than 1080p. Stereoscopic 4k could be around 600mbps, right?

runqvist said:
Viper1 said:
runqvist said:

runqvist said:

A moderately compressed bluray (1080p) can have a bandwith of 54mbps, 4k is roughly 6 times bigger resolution than 1080p. Stereoscopic 4k could be around 600mbps, right?

It all depends on the compression type and what quality people are looking for.

Would it not be nice if next xbox and PS had no ethernet port.

That would truly show up a lot of people posting here for what they really are.

Around the Network
justinian said:

Damn I think you just won the thread....  I highly doubt Sony or Microsoft really cares about the 1% minority that gives a damn about an ethernet port.  I'd actually find it funny if they included it on their system.  Ethernet port is fine for a desktop PC that is near your router.  However, I see little concern from the average person over this issue.  This thread simply shouldn't have lasted this long but some people cling to bullshit.  Just amazes me that this discussion can keep going over a trivial matter while other threads that are far better for discussion go with little replies.  The old school VGC users are right.  VGC needs to return to 07-09 era since a lot better discussions happened then. 

BasilZero said:
justinian said:

Why would anyone wish for that? If the next gen Playstation and Xbox systems didnt have ethernet port(s), they would get equally criticized. Its like some people actually refuse to accept that Nintendo makes mistakes, Nintendo isnt perfect you know just like Sony and Microsoft isnt perfect.

Again: how many people plan on having their Wii U in their computer room? Otherwise it's far more inconvenient to actually use the ethernet port than to not have it at all.

Monster Hunter: pissing me off since 2010.

BasilZero said:
sethnintendo said:
justinian said:

Damn I think you just won the thread....  I highly doubt Sony or Microsoft really cares about the 1% minority that gives a damn about an ethernet port.  I'd actually find it funny if they included it on their system.  Ethernet port is fine for a desktop PC that is near your router.  However, I see little concern from the average person over this issue.  This thread simply shouldn't have lasted this long but some people cling to bullshit.  Just amazes me that this discussion can keep going over a trivial matter while other threads that are far better for discussion go with little replies.  The old school VGC users are right.  VGC needs to return to 07-09 era since a lot better discussions happened then. 

Its called having an option. For an example Windows being the main OS doesnt mean that Linux needs to be completely wiped out, people still use it because some people like alternatives.

Options... well if you were an early 360 adapter then your options were pretty limited.  First 360 models didn't have wifi and the add on hard drive for the 360 was vastly overpriced.  If you want options that aren't actually rip offs then turn to the ethernet - USB adaptor that Nintendo already provides for ~15$ if you are so behind technology that you don't even have a wifi router.  Bitching about wifi lag in this thread is pointless considering users like Viper1 have already stated that the "lag" isn't noticeable.

Continuing further on my rant....  Nintendo didn't provide that big of a hard drive on the Wii U!  Well add a cheap SD card or cheap external hard drive.  Would you rather have to buy an overpriced 360 hard drive or an overpriced Vita memory stick?

RolStoppable said:
sethnintendo said:

Except that back then we had some ridiculous threads too. Like that one time when a small percentage of launch Wiis wouldn't read SSBB discs and Nintendo immediately offered to fix them for free; it was likened to the 360's RRoD problem and proclaimed that this website is heavily Nintendo biased due to a severe double standard: Microsoft got called out for RRoD, but the Wii problem was no big deal.

Ah I remember that issue due to dual layer discs.  I never encountered that due to not having a launch Wii.  Didn't they release a patch for that (and replace older systems if needed)? However, if you ever played any Wii CoD you could swear the disc drive was about to break.  The damn thing would be making so much noise reading (and freezing on BO while host sometimes) that I was a little scared of my Wii.  Supposedly all that disc read noise was due to the levels trying to stay the same as the HD version thus having to load constantly during multiplayer.  I didn't notice any lag while hosting WaW games but you could notice the host lag during BO. 

RolStoppable said:
Mr Khan said:

Again: how many people plan on having their Wii U in their computer room? Otherwise it's far more inconvenient to actually use the ethernet port than to not have it at all.

Wrong question, Mr Khan. Here is what needs to be asked:

1) How many of the people who vocally complained are 360 and PS3 owners?

2) How many of these people were going to make the Wii U their #1 choice for multiplatform games and thus online gaming in the eighth generation?

And once you've completed this filtering process, you can start to discuss this topic seriously. Which means, the thread is going to be dead due to a lack of posts.