By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Politics Discussion - 2012 Election Center: The Main Event - Obama Wins

Of the two main candidates for president, who will win?

Barack Obama 245 75.85%

Mitt Romney 73 22.60%

Total:318

The real question is, how many employees has Zynga fired last night?

“It appeared that there had even been demonstrations to thank Big Brother for raising the chocolate ration to twenty grams a week. And only yesterday, he reflected, it had been announced that the ration was to be reduced to twenty grams a week. Was it possible that they could swallow that, after only twenty-four hours? Yes, they swallowed it.”

- George Orwell, ‘1984’

Around the Network
TeddostheFireKing said:
the_dengle said:

In 1976, the Democrat won Texas while the Republican won California!

1968:

I'm not familiar with American history, why does Reagan have just one vote inside the north western most province in the 1976 map?

And why is there a third candidate in the 1968 election? Is that a Republican candidate? :S

1 Rogue elector (you can see a rogue elector in North Carolina in the 68 map as well). What we often forget is that the Electoral College isn't just a points system (as in you win Pennsylvania and automatically get 19 points), you win a state, and that state sends electors to the college who pledge to vote how the state voted. However, they can actually vote as they will, just that generally the two parties have been disciplining their electors enough that this hasn't happened in 30 years. One guy in Washington just decided to off and vote for Reagan, as one North Carolina elector went off and went Wallace.

Wallace was a conservative Democrat, who ran on a pro-segregation platform and, as a result, had a near-successful attempt on his life during that race, which didn't stop him from winning the Deep South.

Monster Hunter: pissing me off since 2010.

gergroy said:
So, has anybody heard about how puerto rico voted on the staehood measure? I cant find anything on this, and it could potentially be a big deal...

They'll maintain the status quo.

it's by far the best option for them.

EDIT: No wait, they voted for statehood?   A lot of shit must of changed in 3 years.  I had a co-worker from puerto rico, and she said it was largely splitting to where it would stay how it was...

which it was the best option for them.   Funding but no state taxes.

mrstickball said:
4 years from now, I don't think you're going to be as happy as you are tonight.

It'll be fun watching the country and how it deals with a ~$20 trillion debt and higher interest rates.

True.  However, to be fair, lest be honest...

it probably wouldn't of been any different with Romney anyway.  All tough talk aside.

Mr Khan said:
TeddostheFireKing said:
the_dengle said:

1968:

I'm not familiar with American history, why does Reagan have just one vote inside the north western most province in the 1976 map?

And why is there a third candidate in the 1968 election? Is that a Republican candidate? :S

1 Rogue elector (you can see a rogue elector in North Carolina in the 68 map as well). What we often forget is that the Electoral College isn't just a points system (as in you win Pennsylvania and automatically get 19 points), you win a state, and that state sends electors to the college who pledge to vote how the state voted. However, they can actually vote as they will, just that generally the two parties have been disciplining their electors enough that this hasn't happened in 30 years. One guy in Washington just decided to off and vote for Reagan, as one North Carolina elector went off and went Wallace.

Wallace was a conservative Democrat, who ran on a pro-segregation platform and, as a result, had a near-successful attempt on his life during that race, which didn't stop him from winning the Deep South.

Thank you Mr Khan, I understand perfectly now :)

(and thanks for the response bagdenome, but Mr Khan has a lot more detail than you do :P)

Around the Network
drkohler said:
JoeTheBro said:
gergroy said:
So, has anybody heard about how puerto rico voted on the staehood measure? I cant find anything on this, and it could potentially be a big deal..

Next Obama will work with congress and make the 51st state likely.

Megalol.. more pot smoking, poor people with dark skin in the States? I think we all know what the House of Representatives (Republicans) will vote..

They'll say... "Hooray go Puerto Rico!" and vote yes overwhelmingly.

Puerto Rico has A Republican Gov.

To quote the Republican Platform for this election...

"We support the right of the United States citizens of Puerto Rico to be admitted to the Union as a fully sovereign state if they freely so determine. We recognize that Congress has the final authority to define the constitutionally valid options for Puerto Rico to achieve a permanent non-territorial status with government by consent and full enfranchisement. As long as Puerto Rico is not a State, however, the will of its people regarding their political status should be ascertained by means of a general right of referendum or specific referenda sponsored by the U.S. government."

If antyhing the Democrats would block it unless DC becomes a state... which it really shouldn't.  At best it should be folded into virginia.

the_dengle said:
mrstickball said:

4 years from now, you will have 8 years of federal policy dictated by Obama.

Sweet. After only 4 years under Obama, my parents' 401k is back where it was before the '08 crash, plus some. We are, as some might say, "better off than we were four years ago." I'm quite optimistic about the next four years.

Yeah, that's the thing.  Obama has been great for anybody who owns stocks.

Everyone else kinda got fucked though.

TeddostheFireKing said:
the_dengle said:

1968:

Actually he was a Democrat.

1960 should give an example

Though Goldwater won the south... (and only the south.)

Kasz216 said:
the_dengle said:
mrstickball said:

4 years from now, you will have 8 years of federal policy dictated by Obama.

Sweet. After only 4 years under Obama, my parents' 401k is back where it was before the '08 crash, plus some. We are, as some might say, "better off than we were four years ago." I'm quite optimistic about the next four years.

Yeah, that's the thing.  Obama has been great for anybody who owns stocks.

Everyone else kinda got fucked though.

That is only true if you don't consider inflation or the devaulation of the currency:

If your investments increase by 50% but you can only buy 66% as much stuff with a dollar you've essentially broken even.

The GOP has no one to blame but themselves. The more they tie themselves to the religious right, the less influence they will have in national elections (or even state elections, the Senate races proved that last night).

If they ran on a platform of pure economic reform, they'd get back a lot of votes, including mine.

I'm damned proud of my state for what they did yesterday. Minnesota blocked a Voter ID amendment, blocked a constitutional amendment banning gay marriage, and almost kicked Mrs. CrazyTown, Michele Bachmann, out of Congress.

Maybe 2014.

Or check out my new webcomic: http://selfcentent.com/