By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Miyamoto Puzzled As To Why Anyone Would Want A New F-Zero

Tagged games:

I would hazard a guess that Miyamoto still doesn't consider online to be a meaningful feature, in the sense that it doesn't fundamentally change the way a game plays.

Monster Hunter: pissing me off since 2010.

Around the Network
zippy said:
I dont know why Nintendo dont revive some of their IPs like F Zero, Wave Race,or 1080, It didnt do them any harm when they revived Kid Icarus on 3DS. That game is on its way to being a million seller.

1080p Snowboarding.

O FUK

WHERE IS MY KORORINPA 3

RolStoppable said:

I don't think you understood what I've been saying at all. While I don't think that series like SSB and MK need more than one installment per system, a series like Super Mario Bros. certainly does, but Nintendo failed to deliver. The 360 and PS3 keep selling, because Microsoft puts out sequels to Halo, Forza, GeoW and Fable all the time, Sony makes sequels to basically everything that sells more than 1m copies and third parties pump that stuff out at an even higher rate.

What the Wii needed was another Super Mario Bros., Donkey Kong Country, Wii Sports, Wii Fit etc., but that didn't happen. If Nintendo kept making sequels to these huge games as well as titles that only sold between 2-5m copies, then the Wii would have sold the most consoles in 2011 and it would be selling the most consoles in 2012 too. Nintendo is the only company in this business that doesn't make sequels to 5m+ selling games right away.

well, wii sports resort and wii fit plus were released.  NSMB wii U looks like it was originally a wii title held back (much like pikmin) but i see your point.  there are what?.. 5 R&C titles for the ps3 if you count downloadables.   3 uncharteds. 3 halos (4 if you count halo wars).  17 CoDs.  nintendo should indeed do more sequels.  hell, i'd of bought a SSB sequel if it did nothing more than be as robust at online as mario kart was.

on a somewhat related note: i think the move to HD could severely impact nintendo. we had a chat years ago about how much naughty dog has grown in size but it really only allowed them to keep the same release schedule.  nintendo already seems to have trouble releasing enough software for their systems past the first couple of years.  with the move to HD they'll be even slower as their growth in size hasn't seem to keep up with the growth of other devs (from what i can tell).  so that means what?.. zelda wii U -- 6 years in the making?

kitler53 said:
RolStoppable said:

I don't think you understood what I've been saying at all. While I don't think that series like SSB and MK need more than one installment per system, a series like Super Mario Bros. certainly does, but Nintendo failed to deliver. The 360 and PS3 keep selling, because Microsoft puts out sequels to Halo, Forza, GeoW and Fable all the time, Sony makes sequels to basically everything that sells more than 1m copies and third parties pump that stuff out at an even higher rate.

What the Wii needed was another Super Mario Bros., Donkey Kong Country, Wii Sports, Wii Fit etc., but that didn't happen. If Nintendo kept making sequels to these huge games as well as titles that only sold between 2-5m copies, then the Wii would have sold the most consoles in 2011 and it would be selling the most consoles in 2012 too. Nintendo is the only company in this business that doesn't make sequels to 5m+ selling games right away.

well, wii sports resort and wii fit plus were released.  NSMB wii U looks like it was originally a wii title held back (much like pikmin) but i see your point.  there are what?.. 5 R&C titles for the ps3 if you count downloadables.   3 uncharteds. 3 halos (4 if you count halo wars).  17 CoDs.  nintendo should indeed do more sequels.  hell, i'd of bought a SSB sequel if it did nothing more than be as robust at online as mario kart was.

on a somewhat related note: i think the move to HD could severely impact nintendo. we had a chat years ago about how much naughty dog has grown in size but it really only allowed them to keep the same release schedule.  nintendo already seems to have trouble releasing enough software for their systems past the first couple of years.  with the move to HD they'll be even slower as their growth in size hasn't seem to keep up with the growth of other devs (from what i can tell).  so that means what?.. zelda wii U -- 6 years in the making?

In the coming year they're having the first restructuring since 2004 (when they dissolved Nintendo R&D and moved those resources around), and are opening a second Kyoto facility as well as expanding EAD Tokyo. Plus Retro moved to new offices recently.

Should be a good sign.

Monster Hunter: pissing me off since 2010.

RolStoppable said:
kitler53 said:
RolStoppable said:
(...)

This reaction of Miyamoto also sums up Nintendo's main problem in general: "I am also very curious and I’d like to ask those people: Why F-Zero? What do you want that we haven’t done before?" - Looking at the sales charts, it should be pretty obvious that gamers want more of the same. The presence of sequels or lack thereof make the biggest difference when it comes to sustained hardware sales or lack thereof. While every other company pumps out sequels, Nintendo takes the route of: "We've made this game before, we do not want to make it again."

nintendo is pleased as punch to "more of the same" when the franchise is selling blockbuster amounts.  just look at SSBB, mario kart, NSMB. there are twicks and such but no more than any other sequel out there.

but i do agree with you the "presence of sequels or lack thereof makes the biggest difference when it comes to sustained sales".  i just feel like nintendo doesn't respect the games with mid level success anymore.   just because a game only sells ~1m doesn't mean the franchise has to be completely changed or put to rest.  variety please.  some occasional "niche" titles are good for the video gaming diet. 

..and especially gen to gen.  i don't care if the game has been made before and you don't do anything significant to change up the gameplay.  i don't go back and play my previous gen hardware anymore, i just want a new version for the new hardware sometimes.  i mean, i still buy every R&C game and that franchise is very stagnant.  MOOOORRe!

why Mario Kart? why does that game only need one per system and not the others you mentioned? Cant be sales cause the Wii did about as well as the games you mentioned or better. Hell even the 3ds one is doing good.

Around the Network
Mr Khan said:
I would hazard a guess that Miyamoto still doesn't consider online to be a meaningful feature, in the sense that it doesn't fundamentally change the way a game plays.

i agree, but then Miyamoto is missing the point and that kinda concerns me.

"Miyamoto: [eyes open wide] I am really pleased to hear Twitter’s opinion, because since the first episode on SNES many games have been made but the series has evolved very little. I thought people had grown weary of it."

Couldn't the same be said for Mario games though? Yet they always seem to seem add one little gameplay element or something that makes it differentr than those before.

on a side note I kinda respect Miyamoto's stance on not making games in series he feels he cant improve on. There are series out there that are being made just for the sake of a buck, which is fine but eventually the quality IMHO will stagnant or even get worse over the course of time.

VGKing said:
"Miyamoto: [eyes open wide] I am really pleased to hear Twitter’s opinion, because since the first episode on SNES many games have been made but the series has evolved very little. I thought people had grown weary of it."

Couldn't the same be said for Mario games though? Yet they always seem to seem add one little gameplay element or something that makes it differentr than those before.

Mario sells alot, Fzero...not so much. Not saying they shouldnt make fzero but that is a factor.

VGKing said:

Couldn't the same be said for 2D Mario games though? Yet they always seem to seem add one little gameplay element or something that makes it differentr than those before.

fixed ;)

Nintendo and PC gamer