By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - How to Properly Message your F2P Customers to Get Their Money! (Or: Why I Hate Most F2P Gaming)

http://gamasutra.com/view/news/180760/6_rules_for_writing_F2P_messaging_your_players_will_actually_read.php#.UJL4_Yaz4po

I originally clicked that article to find out what it was all about, since I'm curious about the F2P topic in general, and while reading through it I felt like it was giving a bunch of recommendations on how to properly nickel-and-dime consumers, and how to pull at their strings. It feels like most F2P games try to do this; they try to mess with your emotions or pull your strings at exactly the right moment in order to get money out of you.

Is this what the new era of gaming is about...?

(Also, I agree with TC and Cameron from the comment section below the article.)

Around the Network

Yea, the whole nickel and dime model might be fine with some people but I don't like it at all. Usually, they slow the game down on F2P and encourage you to buy something to speed your progress up. So instead of advancing in a game due to skill it is more controlled by the game developer putting stipulations on you. Also, sometimes there are unfair advantages they give the AI to make it hard to play the game for free. I never played the Defender games (even though I downloaded them) but I was reading on Defender 2 comments that people were pissed off that the arrows don't fire fast enough or do enough damage. So probably the main way to get around that problem would be to spend money.