By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Sony's Q2 FY2012 Earnings Announcement * $198m loss, 3.5m PS3 + PS2, 1.6m PSV + PSP *

Tagged games:

BluGamer23 said:
the end is nigh ... I wonder what this means for sony and its ps4... surely its going to be 10x more powerful than the wiiU right?.. right?..

Doubt it'll be 10x as powerful. I'd say 5x is better estimate. PS3 will be making pure profits for Sony by the time they release PS4. Vita should be picking up steam and if they can hold out on a price cut, that too should be profitable.

Sony is far from dead. The gaming division posted profits. PS4 will be competing directly with the Xbox 720. We know how Sony loves to make a beast of a machine as they proved they aren't going to stop anytime soon with the Vita.

Around the Network
Lusche said:
pezus said:

PSP won't see a big boost this holiday though, but Vita hopefully will (relatively big). They won't reach that target though...maybe 8m for Vita and 6m for PSP.

8m vita and 6m psp wouldnt that make 14m units sold ?

why did sony lowered their expectations to 10m now if that was true ?

edit:

I hope they will get those numbers, but it would be maybe more realistic to say maybe 6.5-7m vita and 3.5-4m psp maybe

On the current path Sony expects to sell 7 million PSP/V between Oct 1 and March 31 to go along with the 3 million they have shipped since April 1.

And i seriously don't know how people expected Sony's handheld to suddenly outperform when there has been no material change (which is fine by me, keep their margins in check) and its main (supposedly better positioned) competitor cuts their forecast by a million units.

pezus said:
Lusche said:
pezus said:

PSP won't see a big boost this holiday though, but Vita hopefully will (relatively big). They won't reach that target though...maybe 8m for Vita and 6m for PSP.

edit:

I hope they will get those numbers, but it would be maybe more realistic to say maybe 6.5-7m vita and 3.5-4m psp maybe

Whoops. Why did Vic mention 16m? >_>

It was Sony initial forecast for the fiscal year. Now cut to 10.

You said 8 million (PSV) + 6 million (PSP). To me it will be 8 million combined.

pezus said:
VicViper said:
pezus said:
Lusche said:
pezus said:

edit:

Whoops. Why did Vic mention 16m? >_>

It was Sony initial forecast for the fiscal year.

You said 8 million (PSV) + 6 million (PSP). To me it will be 8 million combined.

Oh, right. So it was 16m->12m->10m? I would say 5-6m Vita and 3-4m PSP

Exactly.

I expect the same as you, but not on the high end - just 8 million. (3+5; 4+4 or 5+3) -> PSP + Vita

But I don't know... I'm starting to think PSP will be bigger in japan and maybe even in Europe.

Around the Network

Ok so 360 is at 70 million shipped. Whats the PS3 number now?

Xbox: Best hardware, Game Pass best value, best BC, more 1st party genres and multiplayer titles. 

sales2099 said:
Ok so 360 is at 70 million shipped. Whats the PS3 number now?

No one officially knows except sony.

looks like it wont be too much longer until ps3 officialy passes 360 in shipments.

Turkish said:
Looks like Kaz at charge is really helping the company.

He is the man! XD

The guy knows his stuff, and is trying to make the whole Sony be like a "fist" instead of having each division look after their own stuff.

Yikes.

So what I'm gathering from the numbers is that they included the chemical business, but it wasn't enough to offset the debt pay offs to keep them in the black. That's just painful.

Just as a heads up to those who don't know, Operating Income is the total income of the company before Interest, Taxes and similar things. Net Income is the total after those are subtracted from the total. So, going from a $388m operating income to a $198m loss between operating income and net income is about average from what I've seen for Sony. This is basically what happens when one is up to their eyeballs in debt. That'd be $510m in interest and taxes between.