By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - The most successful peripheral of all time: Kinect vs. Wii Balance Board

Which team are you on?

Team Balance Board 70 55.56%

Team Kinect 31 24.60%

Playstation Move (aka: See results) 24 19.05%

Total:125

I have been having this discussion with Phenom08 comparing the Balance Board to Kinect. Then it hit me.  Why not make a thread. The Balance Board is hugely successful, selling (maybe) 30 million pieces of hardware since 2008.  Kinect is also a huge success, selling (maybe) 20 million pieces of hardware since 2010.

You have your Dance Dance Revolution Dance Mats, your Playstation Moves, Nintendo Power Pad, Wii Zappers, Playstation Eyes, Nintendo e-Readers, etc.  At the top of the mountain, you have the two fighting it out for supremacy as the most successful.  If you were in the gaming business, which one would you rather have under your belt?

Keep in mind: 

• Wii Fit is considered one of the top 5 best selling games of all time
  • Kinect has a library of games including many million sellers
  • Wii Fit has never had a price cut (at $99)
  • Kinect is considered the fastest selling electronic device of all time (at $149)

Discuss.  I won't judge you.

Around the Network

What about Wii Motion Plus?

Wii Sports Resort + Zelda: Skyward Sword + Red Steel 2 > Kinect.

Nintendo's never really tried to get multi-game support for the Balance Board outside of a small handful of games.

When I mentioned that, I was told that the Wii Motion Plus was now being added to every Wii Remote (and it is. I have it, now). If I count Wii Motion Plus, then.......

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/thread.php?id=149060&page=1# Yeah. Shit like this happens.

At the moment it is the balance board, 22,73m sales. Kinect is at 16,96m. Simple as that!

I think more people used the balance board for a longer period of time after they purchased it than the Kinect. Plus, it sold more (Granted, it was in the market twice as long), so I chose Playstation Move :).

I am the Playstation Avenger.

Around the Network
runqvist said:
At the moment it is the balance board, 22,73m sales. Kinect is at 16,96m. Simple as that!

The balance board has sold a lot more than that - 22.73m sounds like the amount sold with the original Wii Fit.  Quite a few also got/get sold with Wii Fit Plus.  I'd be surprised if the total figure wasn't closer to 35m.

Declan said:
runqvist said:

The balance board has sold a lot more than that - 22.73m sounds like the amount sold with the original Wii Fit.  Quite a few also got/get sold with Wii Fit Plus.  I'd be surprised if the total figure wasn't closer to 35m.

Ok, I thought that Wii fit was bundled with every balance board sold.

runqvist said:
Declan said:
runqvist said:

Ok, I thought that Wii fit was bundled with every balance board sold.

It was until Wii Fit Plus came out - after that Wii Fit was pretty much discontinued.

Definitely the Playstation move. It had alot of games that made ps move as an alternative, definitely a killer move.

Not really.

Yay!!!

PS Move is on a 10 year plan, you wait it'll surpass them all, even PS2.

“The fundamental cause of the trouble is that in the modern world the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt.” - Bertrand Russell

"When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace."

Jimi Hendrix