By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - The 52 Most Important Video Games of All

Tell Hus to look at some of the games that are on the higher end of this list and then tell me Miyamoto isn't one of the greats.  Pssh.

LEFT4DEAD411.COM
Bet with disolitude: Left4Dead will have a higher Metacritic rating than Project Origin, 3 months after the second game's release.  (hasn't been 3 months but it looks like I won :-p )

Around the Network

How would they include Madden on this list is beyond me... ok so it sells a lot and it is the biggest sports game franchise out there but does that make it one of the 52 most important video games? no.

Thanks to Blacksaber for the sig!

Pretty much agree with the list, not necessarily the order though.

Miyamoto and Masterpiece go hand in hand. 

52?

Pretty good list, but I agree the order is wacky.

I agree with their reasoning on Madden. It's been one of the driving forces behind EA's rise to become the world's number 1 publisher. Beyond that, it has helped establish the football genre as we know it today, even if EA has attempted to also hold that same genre back on more than one occasion.

It's always funny to see Madden ranked so high in the US lists. Madden was vital to only EA's success and if EA wouldn't have been around, there would be some other major 3rd party developer making sports games. GTA III shouldn't be near the top either. I would pick the first GTA to represent the origins of sandbox games and place it somewhere in the top-10.

Around the Network

Does madden sell well anywhere other than in USA?

And surely Zelda Ocarina could be refered to as sandbox or does it not count unless you can kill anyone at any time?

For me Bubble Bobble and Guantlet should both be in the top 50, Bubble bobble being one of the most playable games of all time.

Aa 10 year old, and I certainly can't think of any games before them, the excitement of actually playing against someone and in teh case of Guantlet 3 people at the same time both as a competitor and allie, rather than taking alternate turns, and also having them stood next to me was the true start of the multiplayer gaming experience.

llewdebkram said:

Does madden sell well anywhere other than in USA?

No.

llewdebkram said:

And surely Zelda Ocarina could be refered to as sandbox or does it not count unless you can kill anyone at any time?

There's a small difference between free roaming and sandbox. In free roaming, you can roam freely, but you must do certain preset things to advance. However, in GTA you don't have to do those preset things to advance. For example, I collected enough money for a ticket to San Andreas in the Liberty City of GTA just by killing people in the trainstations (GOURANGA!!!). I didn't have to do any of the missions.

GTA 3 was the important one out of the bunch of GTA games, but no way it's #1.  Also, Halo 2 does not deserve to be on that list because what did it do that PC games hadn't been doing for years and better?

windbane said:
GTA 3 was the important one out of the bunch of GTA games

Important in what way? Sure, you can listen to your own mp3s and the game was 3D, but the basic concept was the same in the original GTA.

Yulegoat said:
windbane said:
GTA 3 was the important one out of the bunch of GTA games

Important in what way? Sure, you can listen to your own mp3s and the game was 3D, but the basic concept was the same in the original GTA.

It popularized the genre of sandbox games. That's important, but not near #1 important.  Now, some of the other games, such as Resident Evil, should not list the sequels.  Sure, RE4 is great but without RE1...ah well.  They do that but then list Civilization 1 instead of 2.  Without 1 there is no 2 but 2 was the more famous.  I dunno, maybe they should just list the series.