By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Prof predictsPlaystation Now over 15 months ago

Oh wait it says "thug" lmao

Around the Network

@rafux
why would you interpret the phrase, "say a 20% increase" as stricly a 20% increase?why would you forget to include the other points i made, like full vita integration and cloud service, that, if you opt in for would give you 4x the resolution you're offering?
Why would you not like full backeards compatibility?
Why would developers make a super high def version for a super console 720 when it would cost them so much to make for a single console that has a fledgling marketshare already bested by wiiu?

We know what devs want by looking at this gen. They liked having two consoles easy to port games to, and they liked having such a huge market target because of that.
If ps3 were to have just slightly better specs than the wiiu (sorry i meant ps4), then devs would pick those consoles as their development platforms. Meanwhile, through optional cloud ability, they could offer the kinds of resolutions 720 would offer.

Let's save each other a bunch of time and pretend I never wrote anything.

Ok let me write this out in a way that makes more sense analytically, since some appear to have problems understanding prose.

Making a next gen console checklist:
1 Sony cannot afford another expensive console, just look at this gen.
2 Sony cannot compete directly with microsoft, again, looking at this past gen.
3 They need to be able to provide a strong graphical upgrade, while
4 Simultaneously keep dev costs and console costs down
5 They need to be able to profitably tap into the expanded market, ios, android, pc

Extended goals:
Extended goals follow every playstation system. They are secondary battles that they often use their platform to reinforce. Ps1 was cd, ps2 was dvd, ps3 was bluray. Each time, they used their console to reinforce technologies in which they were heavily invested. That makes sales of all media increase. So,
1. Reinforce their pad, phone, portable offerings so that they can compete in a very lucrative expanding market.
2. Expand their cloud and streaming service, which helps their proprietary software and pcs.
3. Defend against the repeated biggest threat to gaming, used games. (not piracy)

So, how does Sony provide a massively improved console, while keeping hardware and software production costs down, while avoiding competition, and strengthening services over time?

1 They release a system that provides improved services rather than graphics.
2 They employ those services to increase the value
3 they position themselves in the market to take advantage of the market leader

And what services would be able to do that?
Cloud gaming and vita integration.
On my pc, I can use onlive. If I choose to do so, I will be able to run games without hard drive space required, run at a resolution I could only dream of affording had I bought the parts.
Similarly, a ps4 would be able to run games with vita integration at a similar resolution to wiiU, giving ps4 every advantage of wiiU save for the nintendo 1st party lineup. Then, should you choose to enable cloud mode, you could then have the cloud process your game serverside, granting you over 9000 resolution. Of course, cloud costs 10$ a month and 60$ deal for a year because you have to use psn+, but no big deal. If you don't have internet, fine too. You still have a system that provides great graphics, great services, and is a great deal since you're getting two libraries of games (vitas and ps4s)
2. How do you increase the value with those services?
Simple. Every game you make gets put on the cloud. From there, you have your blockbuster games on every sony screen, phones, pads, you name it. You also then offset used gaming somewhat since you're getting revenue streams from sources that can't be resold. You also get to tout your system as having the best graphics, and the best price, and full backwards compatibility. That creates value for the entirety of Sony brands.

3. How do you "position yourself to take advantage of the amrket leader", and what does that mean?
You release a console that is inline with the console that has sold the most units. The market leader will already have a lot of attention because it has install base buying power. It is attractive to develop for because the costs of development haven't increased too significantly, but being that the wiiU uses new ways to play, it allows for more creativity, which to devs means more chance to offset graphical development costs. ie; the katamari challenge; ie, good games can be made cheaply.
By setting your price and specs similarly to the market leader, you ensure multiplat games. Nintendo is expecting sony and ms to overshoot the market. It's been their strategy for the past 5 years. Graphical improvements see diminishing returns, and by wii undercutting the market, they forced a graphics war between ps3 and 360. Exclusives became a graphical faceoff to sell systems. Nintendo, by now making a ps360 level console, are expecting ps420 to increase dramatically again, but the problem is, at this level, you need to improve specs 10x in order to see 10% graphical improvement. That's just how good current graphics are.
You sit next to the market leader, let MS pour money into developing games (not that they've lost everyone), and let them sit in the corner. Maybe devs will make uber versions of games just for them, but they will only be afforded by the niche, the hardcore, which is a shrinking demographic in teh face of the casual explosion.

Rafux said:
Let's save each other a bunch of time and pretend I never wrote anything.

It would really only save me time, since you put about 5 seconds of thought into it.

Around the Network
theprof00 said:
No offense taken hug.
But please next time make sure youve run my post through a translator because it doesnt appear to be written in your first language.

My English is fine, as well as my post/response.

It's your "ideas" that come across as questionable Mr. theprof00.

YOU were the one that said 20%.  So now that people have questioned you about your strange logic and idea(s), you seem to have issue responding without insults or purposed dodging.

Perhaps if you don't know or understand what a GFLOP is, or what 20% actually means in tems of computer terminology......perhaps, in the future, you might skip your next idea, sir.  Just sayin.

Yours truly,

Persistantthug

Persistantthug said:
theprof00 said:
No offense taken hug.
But please next time make sure youve run my post through a translator because it doesnt appear to be written in your first language.

My English is fine, as well as my post/response.

It's your "ideas" that come across as questionable Mr. theprof00.

YOU were the one that said 20%.  So now that people have questioned you about your strange logic and idea(s), you seem to have issue responding without insults or purposed dodging.

Perhaps if you don't know or understand what a GFLOP is, or what 20% actually means in tems of computer terminology......perhaps, in the future, you might skip your next idea, sir.  Just sayin.

Yours truly,

Persistantthug

I was the one who said "say a 20% increase". In English, that means a rough estimation.
So either you didn't read it thoroughly before responding, or you don't know English. It's your choice really.

I haven't insulted anyone. I ASSUMED that you didn't read first. When you tell me you did, and you respond nastily, then you get the response you got, which was you don't know English, which again, isn't an insult, it's acknowledging the only possible scenario of not understanding a phrase.

With much sympathy,

Prof

PS: the point isn't at all grounded in that number. THe number could be changed to 200%, 400%. The point is that it wouldn't be the increase that people are expecting in a true next gen console. Feel free to sub the exact percentage increase to match wii for the purpose of people able to stream to a handheld device and enough ram to run two different data streams to more than one device.

Please excuse the necro
Looks like I predicted xbox one instead of ps4.
Also I was wrong about steam. That's too bad because it wouldve been huge.

But yeah, check it, a console that is "underpowered" using cloud for calculations and boosting performance, focusing rather on other th ings and holding price down. Too bad I predicted it for the wrong console.

bumping. Last night the thread disappeared in less than a minute on the frontpage.

I still believe that the ps4 will go this route as well with Gaikai, though it appears that the used games aspect will be getting reworked after the backlash we saw with xbone.

Nope it looks like this indeed was a Sony prediction all along!