By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - North American 3rd Party Wii sales.

Well In December, NPD reported that Wii software sold more than 360 software. All of that can't be Nintendo software, so 3rd parties had to have sold well in December at least. Possibly undertracking some of these 3rd party games. I know we are GHIII cause numbers were given for that but we'll see. I await updates for NPD next week.

Around the Network
BornFirst. said:
HappySqurriel said:

One thing I have been asking but have yet to see an answer from anyone who complains about third party Wii game sales is ...

Is there any game that has been released for the Wii which would have sold so much better on the XBox 360 or PS3 to justify the greater development cost?

I could be wrong but I don't believe there are any games which meet this criteria which means that Third party publishers should be focusing their efforts to producing and marketing better games for the Wii.

umm cooking Mama....duh!!

Lets not bring logic into these threads now. Its better when people say third party games (or even games in general) don't sell on the Wii, that goes to you happy and the OP as well.

P.s And Resident evil, GH should not be included in that list they are anomalies, plus red steel and RRR were launch titles.

Amen. Launch titles don't count, since they didn't have as much competition.

Also, anything that sells more than 250,000 units is an anomaly (unless it's a Nintendo game), so they shouldn't be counted as well. :)  (end sarcasm and such)

Good numbers none the less.

blackbird007
I think Ubisoft said they will never do another Tom Clany game on wii due to poor sales. However we all saw how crap splinter cell was on Wii. I honestly prefered the GCN splinter cell games.

To add, I am suppirsed how well EA games sold. Yes they are less then the PS2 xbxo360 ps3 whatever version. However they are cheap ports so anythign sold is a profit.

I feel EA will keep porting crappy Sports games from PS2 untill people stop buying them. Look at Madden 08 for example. THis game is so much better on the xbxo360 then on Wii and I do not mean graphically, I mean gameplay wise.

All I will say is I will never buy a EA Sports game untill there is a year of them 09 10 11 whenever that they get them ALL right. Cause I love my basketball, football, tiger woods, madden so it would be nice to have a full series of these where they NAILED everything well, controls, single player gameplay, online.

Instead of pointing out third-party games that have sold well on the Wii, I would actually like a list of third-party games that deserve to sell well on the Wii. As it seems, Wii owners are stuck in a pickle. If they're picky and buy only good games, people will make the claim that third-party games don't sell. If they do shell out the money to buy those crappy games, third-party publishers will release more of those crappy games.

BornFirst. said:
HappySqurriel said:

One thing I have been asking but have yet to see an answer from anyone who complains about third party Wii game sales is ...

Is there any game that has been released for the Wii which would have sold so much better on the XBox 360 or PS3 to justify the greater development cost?

I could be wrong but I don't believe there are any games which meet this criteria which means that Third party publishers should be focusing their efforts to producing and marketing better games for the Wii.

umm cooking Mama....duh!!

Lets not bring logic into these threads now. Its better when people say third party games (or even games in general) don't sell on the Wii, that goes to you happy and the OP as well.

P.s And Resident evil, GH should not be included in that list they are anomalies, plus red steel and RRR were launch titles.

To quote my post... 

"There is so much talk about Wii 3rd party sales, I am not trying to make a statement on whether it is worth it or not for Publishers and Developer have motivation to make Wii games.  I am putting these numbers here to show what third party games have sold well in N.A.; many did not do as well as there 360 or PS2 counter parts.  Depending on how much it cost to produce these games would shed more light on profitablity.

I will say that 3rd parties will continue to support Wii in one way or another.  Hardcore gamers may or may not like what comes out, but these companies are more concerned with profit then whether anybodies happy."

Where am I illogical?  To summarize: I stated that games will be made for wii, that it may or may not be ones we like.  I can't tell you if any of these games are profitable because I don't know production costs.

Then I listed numbers.

My statement wasn't illogical.  Numbers can't be illogical. So who is not using logic, or atleast not reading the thread? 

What makes a game anamolous?  That you prefer it on another console? That it doesn't fit normal characteristics of games that sell on Nintendo consoles.  Well GHIII is casual so that is out the window, and RE series sold well on Gamecube so that is BS too.

Anyway, the thread was intended to spark debate on how past sales will effect future releases.

I would cite regulation, but I know you will simply ignore it.

Around the Network

I always knew! 3rd party does even better in Others. Pitty that some great games are underperforming for the quality games they are: Dewy's adventure, Zack & Wiki. I hope No More Heroes will not end up like them and end up more like Sonic & Mario in terms of sales.

Nights is another bomb, Sega made a mistake by announcing the original to be ported to the PS2. Alot of potential buyers will buy the port instead after the average reviews the new game received.

HappySqurriel said:

One example is Call of Duty 3 on xbox 360.  Its now at 1.95 mil units sold compared to 350 k on the Wii.  I doubt that X360 development costs are so much that they made more money on the Wii version of the game.  

Joemanji said:
Nights is another bomb, Sega made a mistake by announcing the original to be ported to the PS2. Alot of potential buyers will buy the port instead after the average reviews the new game received.

I disagree... I think they're problem was not releasing the port first.  I mean aside from hardcore gamers who had a Sega System how many people were likely to buy Nights 2?

Why wouldn't you re-release the port first, have a bunch of sega fans talk it up, advertise it, then release the sequel?

I stand corrected. However I think they should put the original Nights on the Virtual console instead and worked on the sequel a bit longer so the game would be more polished and in the meantime gain more hype.