By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Politics Discussion - Why would organizations warning of voter fraud on billboards not identify themselves?

Ah, i've finally found the area that Mr. Khan's groups talking point was based off of.

There is at least one area that it is very hard to get an ID for.

Pike County Pennsylvania.

Which appears to be the only one i've found so far.

The funny part?

Pike County Pennsylvania is a Republican leaning district that voted for Republicans in every presidential election, even the last one.

It's also 12% more white then Pennsylvania on a whole.

So, the people who might end up disenfranchised turns out to be White Republican voters.

Around the Network
Mr Khan said:
Kasz216 said:
Mr Khan said:
It's worth noting that i'm against how the laws are being implemented, not against the idea of voter ID altogether. Similar to how one could say i'm opposed to Obamacare but not to universal health care. I see these laws as generally maliciously intended, because some Republicans have gone on record talking about how this is good for them from an electoral perspective.

Except that's not what you've said in this thread... which is why it's hard to take you seriously when you make these arguements.

You have constantly been argueing the law is racist in of and by itself.

The law is, not what the law is trying to implement. Especially the one in Pennsylvania which is imposing too-strict of standards

Except the standards aren't too strict.  They're the same standards you need to open a bank account... or cash a check.

It should be easier to comit voter fraud then check fraud?

Christ it's the standards set out by Jimmy Carter.

Well all know what a rightwing repubican racist hatemonger Jimmy Carter is.

I mean, how does say.. a phone bill stop an illegal alien from voting?  They get bills.

As of now, by federal law, to register to vote, all you have to do is say you are a US Citizen.

Nobody checks, nobody is allowed to check... heck that can't even check if the name you gave is real.  It's pretty easy to get a bill sent to your house with a fake name.

Therefore a form of identification that is only given to citizens is the only way to ensure fraud prevention.

Kasz216 said:
Mr Khan said:
Kasz216 said:
Mr Khan said:
It's worth noting that i'm against how the laws are being implemented, not against the idea of voter ID altogether. Similar to how one could say i'm opposed to Obamacare but not to universal health care. I see these laws as generally maliciously intended, because some Republicans have gone on record talking about how this is good for them from an electoral perspective.

Except that's not what you've said in this thread... which is why it's hard to take you seriously when you make these arguements.

The law is, not what the law is trying to implement. Especially the one in Pennsylvania which is imposing too-strict of standards

Except the standards aren't too strict.  They're the same standards you need to open a bank account... or cash a check.

I mean, how does say.. a phone bill stop an illegal alien from voting?  They get bills.

As of now, by federal law, to register to vote, all you have to do is say you are a US Citizen.

Nobody checks, nobody is allowed to check... heck that can't even check if the name you gave is real.  It's pretty easy to get a bill sent to your house with a fake name.

Therefore a form of identification that is only given to citizens is the only way to ensure fraud prevention.

Standards in Pennsylvania demand a photo ID with an expiration date, which disqualifies certain forms of state and federal ID

Monster Hunter: pissing me off since 2010.

Mr Khan said:

Standards in Pennsylvania demand a photo ID with an expiration date, which disqualifies certain forms of state and federal ID

What forms of photo ID are acceptable and which are unacceptable?

I personally can't think of any form of government issued photo ID that doesn't have an expiry date; because they usually force a 5 year (or so) expiry on these IDs to ensure that the Photo still looks like the person who owns the ID.

HappySqurriel said:
Mr Khan said:

I personally can't think of any form of government issued photo ID that doesn't have an expiry date; because they usually force a 5 year (or so) expiry on these IDs to ensure that the Photo still looks like the person who owns the ID.

Generally what's on the chopping block are forms of identification that don't include photos or expiration dates. I believe Medicare cards are one, though my arm of the campaign wasn't involved in preparing voters (actually should be doing my job right now instead of writing this).

Monster Hunter: pissing me off since 2010.

Around the Network
Mr Khan said:
Kasz216 said:
Mr Khan said:
Kasz216 said:
Mr Khan said:

the new law is supposed to have "free" id's does it not?

Also how to people live their lives without an ID.  You need an ID to do all of these basic things.

1. Open bank account

2. Buy beer, cigarettes, lottery tickets

3. Get a job

4. Drive a car

5. Pay by check (not used as often anymore)

I'm sure there are others, but the most important thing that I make sure i have when leaving the house is my ID.  If i don't have it, it seems like I can't do anything. I can't get a beer at a resturant.  I'd get a ticket if pulld over.  Used to have to show it to get into a R rated movie when younger.  

If you don't have an ID, you are driving a car illegally. You are getting paid by your job illegally.  The person selling you alcohol, cigarettes or lottery tickets is breaking the law.  and so on.  

And please don't bring up the $25 charge to get a liscense or get a birth certificate in order to get your free ID, as I saw the complaint.  You should have your birth cirtificate saved anyway, but $25?  That is nothing.  No matter the weath status you have.  EVERYONE can afford that money.  The first person you find that says he can't I guarantee he has a case of beer on him or in his house.  People can't live without their alcohol, but throw a fit when asked to show ID in order to vote once very four years for the leader of this country.

Absolutely zero sympothy from me for them.  Hell I bet if they went to the side of the street and held up a sign saying "need $25 for ID in order to vote" they would get easily $25 in no time from poeple.

Mr Khan said:
HappySqurriel said:
Mr Khan said:

Generally what's on the chopping block are forms of identification that don't include photos or expiration dates. I believe Medicare cards are one, though my arm of the campaign wasn't involved in preparing voters (actually should be doing my job right now instead of writing this).

What I'm questioning is.  How does one get a medicare card without proper ID?

Seems to me you would need ID in order to recieve something like that?  Same with like any other thing governement gives out, like say welfare check.  Would you not need to show ID in order to recieve this?  And I'm not saying this in order to prevent illegals from getting welfare, I'm saying this in regards to giving welfare checks to the right people.  How would you feel if you went to collect your check and they said that "you already collected it"  They handed it out to some random person "claiming" to be you.  So is not showing ID beneficial to all?  It does nothing but add security to everything.  And is not $25 every 5 years a small price to pay for all around security measures in your life?  for only $5 a year you protect your X amount $ checks in welfare from being picked up by a random stranger.  

thranx said:

well of course its intimidation. Its the the threat that if you commit voter fraud, that you are commiting a felony crime. Whats the issue here?

Edit: There is nothing incorrect on the signs. They just state one simple fact. The only people who would be effected are people breaking the law, so really how is this racist or a problem?

Why would you conceal your identity if there is nothing incorrect on the sign?  Usually organizations running advertising want to be identified, because you get media attention on yourself, and also get an opportunity to get more funds donated your way.  If it is so much above board, and motivations are pure, why hide yourself?

Again, look at your question and ask, if it is proper, why do you hide your identity?  Could it be it has ties to rich individuals who, if their identity got out, would end up generating a political firestorm that would work against the Republican party?  Nah, it is just individuals who are concerned about there not being voter fraud.

richardhutnik said:

Why would you conceal your identity if there is nothing incorrect on the sign?  Usually organizations running advertising want to be identified, because you get media attention on yourself, and also get an opportunity to get more funds donated your way.  If it is so much above board, and motivations are pure, why hide yourself?

Again, look at your question and ask, if it is proper, why do you hide your identity?  Could it be it has ties to rich individuals who, if their identity got out, would end up generating a political firestorm that would work against the Republican party?  Nah, it is just individuals who are concerned about there not being voter fraud.

In a country where you receive death threats for speaking out against gay marriage or abortion (or pretty much any liberal position) why would you risk speaking out publicly unless you were seeking political office?

HappySqurriel said:
richardhutnik said:

In a country where you receive death threats for speaking out against gay marriage or abortion (or pretty much any liberal position) why would you risk speaking out publicly unless you were seeking political office?

Apparently the signs slipped through.  Company policy is supposeed to be whomever is paying for the signs is supposed to identify themselves.

As far as death threats go, moment you get any, they get you increased media coverage and police protection.  Plus the police go and hunt the culprits down.  For political reasons, which is what drove the signs being up, this is a net political positive.  First side to get to death threats loses.