By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Will Playstation 4 have a USP

Will the ps4 have a unique hardware/software features?

Yes, how else will they compete?! 27 33.75%

No, but it'll be ultra powerful 29 36.25%

No, but it will be very affordable 24 30.00%

Total:80

I think Sony will place a small screen in whatever controller they deliver for PS4. They will also improve the EYE giving it per pixel accuracy, and better depth perception.

The biggest thing that I think will be different next gen is support for these technologies. Sony will support them from day one giving them much more relevance, and 3rd parties will have similar tech across all 3 platforms.

Overall, I think the most important thing in the main stream market will be connectivity, and I think MS has a slight lead there. Sony needs to make PS4, Vita, Android Phones, Tablets, ect. work seamlessly, and that will give them a major boost.

Stop hate, let others live the life they were given. Everyone has their problems, and no one should have to feel ashamed for the way they were born. Be proud of who you are, encourage others to be proud of themselves. Learn, research, absorb everything around you. Nothing is meaningless, a purpose is placed on everything no matter how you perceive it. Discover how to love, and share that love with everything that you encounter. Help make existence a beautiful thing.

Kevyn B Grams
10/03/2010 

KBG29 on PSN&XBL

Around the Network
ethomaz said:
Vita?

The problem with the Vita is that it lacks trigger buttons and its analoge sticks would be considered a step down from the dualshock. I'm not sure if it has streaming capablities built into like the wii U pad, although mayb the ps4 will contain a solution? I've played remote play on my PSVita and there was noticable lag and a severe drop in quality, so the current wifi solution isn't good enough to make it a compelling controller. In Regards to the trigger buttons, Sony could release an exterior shell which ads the trigger button and better grip.

The innovation will come with software. We'll see new connectivity between platforms through the Gaikai service, and the first-party studios will innovate as they did this gen. Besides that I don't think there's anything we can predict, maybe an updated Move but it's a stretch to call that innovation, and I hope they forget about it.

I hope to god they don't, actually.

No offence of course. And I realise from a consumer standpoint my view is pretty selfish, because the mass market is going to be more receptive to a family-friendly gimmick than they are just a standard games console.

But all I want is a standard games console with optional extras.

Exactly what the PS3 is now, in fact. So they can have EyeToy; they can have Playstation Move; they can have Vita integration; they can have PS+; but all of these things are optional. I'm still just a big fan of console gaming. Exciting games, controller in my hands, lying down on my bed. If I feel like wiggling my hands or looking at a touch screen, the option is there but it isn't essential.

I feel like when hardware is innovated to give something new, often you'll just get old games redone with new 'features' rather than actual gaming advancements. And if this gen has shown me anything, it's that there's still plenty of life in gaming to surprise and excite me even without straying too far off the mainstream path.

But of course, that's just me. I realise it might not be the best route for Sony's financial future. But it's definitely what I'd like to see.

I don't see Kinect 2 as an Xbox next USP. The thing which is the Xbox' keystone feature which makes it viable is Xbox Live because it changes both the financial equation and it is the power of networking which secured the PS1/2's dominance because everyone owned one. With Live the network is between Xbox and Windows with the next generation so the console will live and die as much on the performance of Windows 8 as it will on its own relative performance.

Tease.

Around the Network
pokoko said:
DanneSandin said:
teigaga said:
DanneSandin said:
They certainly should have one, that's for sure. Either if they come up with something original or just copies Nintendo. I'm not sure moar power's gonna cut it next gen...

I'm slightly with the copy Nintendo thing. Mainly cos I like to play RPG's and I think the  Wii U pad will allow far more control in western RPG's and brand new battle systems for JRPG's. I can't wait to see what Monolith Soft and Mistwalker bring to the Wii U, but when the next elderscrolls comes out I'd want to play it on a system with all the bells and whistles of that Unreal 4 Demo.

Yeah, I also wanna see RPG's on WiiU! I think it could work very well for MMORPG's as well. RTS could work... TBS also... I see a lot of potential. In my mind this is already the best controller ever concived - but that might change (either if MS/Sony brings something new or the GamePad isn't as good as I think it'll be).

I don't care enough for graphics that I need the prettiest visuals. I actually think Zelda SS looks better than Skyrim: Skyrim looks so generic while SS created something new. To me, it's smarter to go with a nice art style than the best engine...

The point of "power" next gen won't really be about graphical prowess, but about allowing programmers to do more in terms of content and gameplay.  It will be about responsive AI and interactive environments, about having a larger number of unique events and enemies on screen, all behaving in unique ways.  That's the real reason developers have been lusting after the next gen hardware.  What they can pull off right now is very limited in relation to what they want to accomplish.

Yeah, sounds about right! Personally I don't need better graphics than The Last of Us (looks GREAT), but better physics and AI would be nice!!

As far as the Wii U pad goes, I agree that it has a lot of potential, but I also said the same thing about Kinect and Move when I watched their respective demo projects.  They did some awesome things in an isolated environment, but almost none of it translated over to games.  Thus far, most of what I've seen from the Wii U's controller is nothing that can't be shown on a mini-map or HUD or with a button press--and, honestly, I would rather not have to look back and forth between my TV and my controller.  I hate having to refocus when all hell breaks loose.  Only time will tell if the Wii U pad ends up being a substantial benefit to core games.  I think it CAN, but I don't know if it WILL, if that makes sense.

Yeah it makes perfect sense. I like what I see with what ZombiU does with the controller! Seems really interesting in that setting. I don't know if the gamepad is such a great feature in NSMBU though... I'm probably gonna get a Pro Controller as well for certain games... The GamePad could end up as the "map/Item controller" - but that's fine by me, as long as you can play individual games on it as well, without the TV. Plus, it'll be great fun to play NintendoLand!! I can actually see that game become pretty big.

I'm also not convinced that Sony has to cater to the casual market to succeed.  Microsoft seemed to have a hit with Kinect while Move failed, but after the holiday season ended, the PS4 started outselling the 360 by a fair margin again.  

Succeding can mean so many different things... Just look at the GC; it didn't sell much but boy did it make Nintendo some money!! As long as a console makes money I'd consider it a success!

I'm on Twitter @DanneSandin!

Furthermore, I think VGChartz should add a "Like"-button.

Not THAT innovative, but PS4 is going to ship with a Kinect-like 3D-camera/microphone combination.
It's not going to use the same TOF technology used in Kinect 1.0 though, instead it will be a stereoscopic camera like in the 3DS. That approach has a few advantages over Kinect:
- Perfectly suited for the upcoming success and gaining popularity of 3D TVs, like allowing for 3D video chat
- Much cheaper to produce than the expensive TOF technology used in Kinect 1.0, additional costs would only be slightly higher than those of a simple webcam.

Even Microsoft might switch to this technology in Kinect 2.0.

teigaga said:
Soundwave said:
Why not advance Move? I thought it was poorly utilized but is better than Kinect and better than WM+ in some ways.

Didn't Sony patent that break-apart controller? That could be cool.

Isn't Move already 1:1. I'm not sure if it could get more accurate, also sony struggled to get support for it this gen; titles like COD, RE6, Mass Effect 3, Uncharted 3, Borderlands should all of had move support. Most devlopers simply don't care. Although the wii U could change that, for example blacks ops 2 is supporting the wii mote. Although I'm not sure how transferable the coding/programming is for the wii mote vs move.

They should improve its camera to 3D to allow it to be used also hands-free in more complex games than in the past and its res up to tracking fingers, upgrade the Navigation Controller to include optical tracking like the Move and make it standard equipment, not optional. This way Move would become the most complete motion control interface, allowing both hands-free and controller+motion based games, depending on what's best for each game or even on the gamer's tastes, for some games.

Stwike him, Centuwion. Stwike him vewy wuffly! (Pontius Pilate, "Life of Brian")
A fart without stink is like a sky without stars.
TGS, Third Grade Shooter: brand new genre invented by Kevin Butler exclusively for Natal WiiToo Kinect. PEW! PEW-PEW-PEW! 

they will have all games stream to Vita basically. thats means it can get Wii-U titles and also just have EyeToy2 for the casuals.
Next gen will play out VERY different to this one. The casual family audience already brought a Wii.. then a Kinect.. i think they will be after something very different with there next gaming purchase.

why don't sony look at emulation software like PCSX2 and rather than suing them like they did with bleam actually employ them to make an emulator that works much like the one on the PC but with the console, with the new hardware of the PS4 they could implement this to allow old PS2 game to look like PS3 game's, just an idea.

Current PC build:

Asus Z97I-Plus, i5 4790K @ 4.6ghz, EVGA GTX 980 ACX 2.0 1377/1853/124%, Corsair Vengence Pro 2400mhz 2x 8192mb, Corsair RM850, Corsair H80i, 120GB OCZ Vertex 3 SSD, 750GB Seagate Momentus XT SSHD, 320GB Weston Digital HDD, Corsair 230T, Corsair K50 Raptor, HP XQ500AA mouse, Windows 10 Pro 64bit. iiyama Pro Lite G2773HS 120Hz 1Ms G2G gaming monitor.