By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Will Playstation 4 have a USP

Will the ps4 have a unique hardware/software features?

Yes, how else will they compete?! 27 33.75%

No, but it'll be ultra powerful 29 36.25%

No, but it will be very affordable 24 30.00%

Total:80

Microsoft has kinect 2

Nintendo has the Wii U pad.

Will Sony try and bring out innovative hardware. I'm sure Playstation move will be compatible with ps4 but it definitely won't be a selling point, although the wii U supporting wii motes may allow move to stay relevant.

Right now all I can think of is their 3D visors but from the sounds of it they're far from ready for the market, I'm also not sure how many people want to be completely secluded from the outside world whilst playing thier gameas, although its a nice alternative for those who don't have space for a massive tv.

Will PS4 launch with nothing more then powerfull hardware and a standard control? Will the innovation come in the form of software application or maybe an online service (gaikia)?

Around the Network

Why not advance Move? I thought it was poorly utilized but is better than Kinect and better than WM+ in some ways.

Didn't Sony patent that break-apart controller? That could be cool.

Eyetoy 4 virtual reality

The one and only original.

The innovation will come from its software and online features just like the Xbox 720.

Kinect 2 won't be innovative. Just a more accurate Kinect. It's already been proven that "core" games aren't playable/enjoyable with Kinect no matter how accurate it gets.

Sony could end up copying Nintendo and bring out their own tablet. Would sure leave Microsoft in the dust if they're the only ones without it. I can see it now, The Dualshock Touch. HD and supports remote play and even Vita games. Now, that is a selling point!

Besides controller, the only peripheral I would use in a PS4 is keyboard+mouse if it were available(mainly for FPS and MMORPG).

Around the Network

They certainly should have one, that's for sure. Either if they come up with something original or just copies Nintendo. I'm not sure moar power's gonna cut it next gen...

I'm on Twitter @DanneSandin!

Furthermore, I think VGChartz should add a "Like"-button.

Soundwave said:
Why not advance Move? I thought it was poorly utilized but is better than Kinect and better than WM+ in some ways.

Didn't Sony patent that break-apart controller? That could be cool.

Isn't Move already 1:1. I'm not sure if it could get more accurate, also sony struggled to get support for it this gen; titles like COD, RE6, Mass Effect 3, Uncharted 3, Borderlands should all of had move support. Most devlopers simply don't care. Although the wii U could change that, for example blacks ops 2 is supporting the wii mote. Although I'm not sure how transferable the coding/programming is for the wii mote vs move.

Personally, I hope they stay away from "innovations". I don't care about motion controls or tablet controllers. For me, what made me go with a PS3 when I was deciding on a console was Sony Worldwide Studios. As simple as that. I want more games from Naughty Dog, Sony Santa Monica, and the rest.

If they're going to innovate, then I want it to be with PSN. PS+ is pretty darn innovative now, and I'd love to see it evolve and improve. Sony took the social aspect of core gaming too lightly this generation, and though I don't personally care about things like cross-game chat, Microsoft definitely scored points there.

If there is anything that has encouraged me about PS4 development, it's that, supposedly, Sony heavily consulted with their developers at SWS. That can only be good. I'm expecting a better gaming environment from the start this time. I think they had too many Japanese businessmen and hardware experts in the kitchen last time, and too few game and software developers. I think the PS4 will end up being more open-ended and accessible.

DanneSandin said:
They certainly should have one, that's for sure. Either if they come up with something original or just copies Nintendo. I'm not sure moar power's gonna cut it next gen...

I'm slightly with the copy Nintendo thing. Mainly cos I like to play RPG's and I think the  Wii U pad will allow far more control in western RPG's and brand new battle systems for JRPG's. I can't wait to see what Monolith Soft and Mistwalker bring to the Wii U, but when the next elderscrolls comes out I'd want to play it on a system with all the bells and whistles of that Unreal 4 Demo.

I don't think they will have any "innovation" next gen. Sony will aimed for the most powerful console without being insanely expensive, because by having no "gimmicks" they can spent more money on the specs. 

But if they do that then Sony will only focused on the hardcore gamers, which unfortunately will most likely make the system not sell that well compare to the other two (if the both of them are successful) and the casuals have a become a big part in today's gaming business. 

Nintendo and PC gamer