By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - General Discussion - If you knew your unborn child was going to be gay, would you abort him/her?

superchunk said:
Kasz216 said:
No.

A better question would be... if they could alter him genetically so he wouldn't be gay. Would you have that done.

I'd still say no... but you could make a persuasive argument.

Not a better question, it an entirely different socio-religious topic; dna manipulation.

I'm specifically questioning the religious views of sin and punishment

Don't. It deserves to be viewed in a religious manner, it's an amazing game worthy of worship.

Around the Network

No, and I don't think that test will be available anytime soon and the only region I can see it becoming very popular is in mainly Muslim countries which are notorious for being very homophobic.

PDF said:
Kasz216 said:
PDF said:
Kasz216 said:
No.

A better question would be... if they could alter him genetically so he wouldn't be gay. Would you have that done.

I like that question a lot more. 

It's hard, I would probably make him or her straight.  It really hard, because who am I to say straight is better.  All I know is in today society it seems easier to grow up straight as a kid.  I was never made fun of because i was striaght.  I hope one day that changes.

It's not better to be straight... but if you looked at it from an alien utilitarian "pick one or the other" option.   You wouldn't pick gay.

You'd be bi or straight any day of the week.

Did not even think about bi.  I would definitely make him/her bi.  That way they could pick anyone and have statistically better chance at finding someone to be happy with.

Interesting idea mate... But I'm one of those who think love has no gender! I loved a girl for years and now ya know, I'm happy with a boy :P

superchunk said:
Kasz216 said:
No.

Not a better question, it an entirely different socio-religious topic; dna manipulation.

I'm specifically questioning the religious views of sin and punishment .. or better yet the capability to permanently prevent your child of sinning.

Fair enough.  To me it I don't think it would matter.

If I would murder someone in a situation...

but am never put in that situation... am i supposed to get to heaven because i "put one over on god" and was never in that situation?

this to me seems unlogical.  Suggesting instead that it's our flaws inside that one should recognzie and repent for, even if unacted on.

Chris Hu said:
No, and I don't think that test will be available anytime soon and the only region I can see it becoming very popular is in mainly Muslim countries which are notorious for being very homophobic.

lol, just about every nation is currently homophobic. Including those with Christian or virtually no religious significance. Plus, what's the difference to aborting a gay fetus or a female one in say India or China?

Around the Network

Nope, don't think there is a gay gene, and I would not abort anyone by my choice alone.

Let's not forget people that in Ancient Greece (or Rome), bisexuality was a common trait to almost everybody. Active homosexuality was allowed and "practiced" by most people out there. I still believe there has been some sort of polarization around sexual orientation that led to be rather straight or gay whatsoever, but not bi. Still, these days bisexuality is not something people quite understand, conceptually or litteraly. But I fondly believe humans are all bisexual in some way or another.

Farsala said:
Nope, don't think there is a gay gene, and I would not abort anyone by my choice alone.

What if there was a gay gene or some other way of knowing 99.9% fact that he/she would be gay?

superchunk said:
Chris Hu said:

lol, just about every nation is currently homophobic. Including those with Christian or virtually no religious significance. Plus, what's the difference to aborting a gay fetus or a female one in say India or China?

Your right about that one sexism is currently more of an evil then homophobia world wide and more children are being aborted or given up for adoption simply for being female I'm not sure how big of a problem that is in India but I'm fully aware that its a huge problem in China (mainland not Taiwan).

superchunk said:
Farsala said:

What if there was a gay gene or some other way of knowing 99.9% fact that he/she would be gay

I would not abort people by my choice alone, I would let him live his life how he chooses to live it. Yet he has little choice... in this situation.