By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Expanding Wii U mem. capacity: USB pen, USB HDD, SD card ?

In terms of reading speed, and overall performance of the system. I'm wondering if the higher prices of the SDHC 64gb cards are higher than a USB flash pen of the same capacity, because they are better somehow ?

Also, exactly how much more memory would be right for Premium buyers ? We've got 32gb on board, 64 more would be enough ?

What about a 1TB HDD ? When it reaches its full capicity won't it slow the system down ?

Around the Network
FrancisNobleman said:

In terms of reading speed, and overall performance of the system. I'm wondering if the higher prices of the SDHC 64gb cards are higher than a USB flash pen of the same capacity, because they are better somehow ?

Also, exactly how much more memory would be right for Premium buyers ? We've got 32gb on board, 64 more would be enough ?

What about a 1TB HDD ? When it reaches its full capicity won't it slow the system down ?

Prices are going to fluctaute based on the read and write speed regardless of it being a USB drive or SD card.     Plus branding.
SD will likely be more epensive as it has to use higher density chips compared to a flash druve that can stack chips together to achieve the same capacity.

32 GB is fine given that core gamers that want more will just buy an external drive for it.

It won't slow the system down because the OS is not stored on that drive.     Does your Wii slow down when the internal memory gets full?

The rEVOLution is not being televised

Viper1 said:

Prices are going to fluctaute based on the read and write speed regardless of it being a USB drive or SD card.     Plus branding.
SD will likely be more epensive as it has to use higher density chips compared to a flash druve that can stack chips together to achieve the same capacity.

32 GB is fine given that core gamers that want more will just buy an external drive for it.

It won't slow the system down because the OS is not stored on that drive.     Does your Wii slow down when the internal memory gets full?

Yes, I've got it running the homebrew channel, and when the HDD reached about 300GB of data it would take a while for it to load everything from the disc.

Also 64 GB is bigger than 64 Gb??? bytes and bits, dafuq...

Overall you're saying that HDD, usb pens and SD Cards can have about the same speeds ?

FrancisNobleman said:
Viper1 said:

Yes, I've got it running the homebrew channel, and when the HDD reached about 300GB of data it would take a while for it to load everything from the disc.

Also 64 GB is bigger than 64 Gb??? bytes and bits, dafuq...

Overall you're saying that HDD, usb pens and SD Cards can have about the same speeds ?

I asked about internel memory, not HDD.  But you're also talking about HomeBrew channel stuff which is why you're experiencing that problem.

The Wii U OS won't slow down just because an external HDD has reached capacity.  Data transfers will be a problem, yes, but not OS usage itself.   No different than having an external HDD on yrou PC reach capacity.  Doesn't affect the speed of your OS, just data transfers to and from that HDD.

64 GB is indeed much bigger than 64 Gb.   1 GB = 8 Gb.   So 64 GB would = 512 Gb.  Or 64 Gb would = 8 GB.

Can they have the same speeds?    They can but that all depends on a lot of things.  Way too many to list here.  

I bought a 3TB USB HDD, just hope it's not to slow at loading from especially when it's got a lot on it.

Around the Network
Ledreppe said:

I bought a 3TB USB HDD, just hope it's not to slow at loading from especially when it's got a lot on it.

Most of your throughput will be limited by the USB protocol.   Should still get around 20-30 MB/s which is enough.

Viper1 said:
Ledreppe said:

Most of your throughput will be limited by the USB protocol.   Should still get around 20-30 MB/s which is enough.

I've seen SD cards with speeds up to 42 mb/s...

When running games through the SD card at that speed or USB port with 30 Mbs maximum, there will be a noticeable difference in the game itself, like slowdowns and pop in, or just in the loading times?

is the wiiu USB 2.0 or 3.0 or are they will 1.0

I'm gonna stick with the 32GB at first and see how it goes.

Due to r/w speeds, I'll likely look for a solid state drive at some point. It really depends how digital I decide to go. If it were not for the movies I have on my PS3, I would still have never used more than about 4GB.

But, it will depend on a few factors.

@usrevenge... its USB 2.0.

superchunk said:

I'm gonna stick with the 32GB at first and see how it goes.

Due to r/w speeds, I'll likely look for a solid state drive at some point. It really depends how digital I decide to go. If it were not for the movies I have on my PS3, I would still have never used more than about 4GB.

But, it will depend on a few factors.

@usrevenge... its USB 2.0.

Even if you hook up a SSD through the USB you're not getting the most out of it because the usb ports are 2.0