By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - PC Discussion - Squadron 42 - Star Citizen Trailer - Chris Roberts space flight sim, Wing Commander, Freelancer etc $7m+ total raised

usrevenge said:
if it was announced for nextbox or ps4 it would be much better.. If I somehow get a new PC I will get this game, it looks amazing, but my current wouldn't run it and $600 for a new PC isn't happening

Chris Roberts is planning weekly updates for this game which would just be impossible financially on PSN or XBL - MS and Sony charge devs/publishers ~$30k per update was the last I heard (XBL number afaik - Sony probably does sth similar)

Around the Network

Counter for days without website crowdfunding counter: 4 days.

$696,544 from 7,272 pledges so far that is a very high average pldge. Now the site is stable we will probably see that ratio drop tho as more casual fans drop in. 

@TheVoxelman on twitter

Check out my hype threads: Cyberpunk, and The Witcher 3!

it just crossed the $1million mark and I think it's on a good pace to reach the $2million, but it doesn't look that good for the stretch goals .. well, maybe it will pick up more pace once it gets close to reach the initial goal

Lafiel said:
it just crossed the $1million mark and I think it's on a good pace to reach the $2million, but it doesn't look that good for the stretch goals .. well, maybe it will pick up more pace once it gets close to reach the initial goal

They are doing a kickstarter as well http://www.vg247.com/2012/10/18/star-citizen-devs-looking-to-earn-50000-through-kickstarter/

@TheVoxelman on twitter

Around the Network

Apparently the problem is that the server their main site is on can't handle so many people on it at once and it keeps ending up crashing. In turn, Chris Roberts set up a Kickstarter today with a $500k goal to supplement the amount that's coming in on the main site.

Here's the link to the Kickstarter:
http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/cig/star-citizen
$79,957/$500,000 so far, after about 8 hours up.

Here's the link to the main site, with counter:
http://www.robertsspaceindustries.com/star-citizen/
$1,046,566/$2,000,000 so far.

I don't think 2 million should be too much of a problem to get to, considering that word keeps spreading.

okr said:
NiKKoM said:
okr said:

Did he have like 6 people attending his GDC presentation (all visible at 50:14)?

that's still more people then that are interested here on this site.. :(
Space sims may really be a dead genre... I haven't played one in years before Galaxy on Fire 2 on my iPhone and iPad..

That's because it's posted in the forum section which is as successful as Pluto Nash at the boxoffice.

If Roberts had announced this game not only for PC but also as one of the first announcements for several next gen consoles (ironically I think space action sims would be perfect for console), the gaming communities would probably have imploded.

Star Wars Rogue Squadron 2 was the last great space shooting game that I know of.  I used to be a big fan of X-wing, TIE Fighter, and X-wing vs TIE fighter.  That was when Lucas Arts was on the top of their game.  The good old DOS days.  Never really got into Descent or Wing Commander though for some reason.

sethnintendo said:
okr said:
NiKKoM said:
okr said:

Did he have like 6 people attending his GDC presentation (all visible at 50:14)?

that's still more people then that are interested here on this site.. :(
Space sims may really be a dead genre... I haven't played one in years before Galaxy on Fire 2 on my iPhone and iPad..

That's because it's posted in the forum section which is as successful as Pluto Nash at the boxoffice.

If Roberts had announced this game not only for PC but also as one of the first announcements for several next gen consoles (ironically I think space action sims would be perfect for console), the gaming communities would probably have imploded.

Star Wars Rogue Squadron 2 was the last great space shooting game that I know of.  I used to be a big fan of X-wing, TIE Fighter, and X-wing vs TIE fighter.  That was when Lucas Arts was on the top of their game.  The good old DOS days.  Never really got into Descent or Wing Commander though for some reason.

Wing Commander: Privateer was by far my most favorite space sim. I didn't care about the main story (the usual Chris Roberts trash), I always played as a merchant. I didn't like the regular Wing Commander series with those ridiculous Kilrathi (meow) and those simpleton war plots which made an average Star Trek episode look like it was written by Tolstoi.

Impressive, it looks, in some aspects, even more ambitious than Project Eternity. I wish them well.

BTW, I have the impression that the success of The Witcher 1 and 2 and Minecraft did a lot of good for the self-confidence of indie PC developers, just like WoW, Diablo, Starcraft 2 and others did for the bigger industry on this platform.

Stwike him, Centuwion. Stwike him vewy wuffly! (Pontius Pilate, "Life of Brian")
A fart without stink is like a sky without stars.
TGS, Third Grade Shooter: brand new genre invented by Kevin Butler exclusively for Natal WiiToo Kinect. PEW! PEW-PEW-PEW! 

Well Kickstarter is now at $513,131 from 11,304 backers (1,623 of those are from the $5 pledge twice thing tho, one of which is me lol)

Main site is at $1,344,707 from 14,920 backers

@TheVoxelman on twitter