By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Politics Discussion - Does Romneys' foreign policy speech imply another warmonger on his way to the White House?

When was the last time we didn't have a warmonger in the White House?

The rEVOLution is not being televised

Around the Network

Obama's got the Republicans almost entirely cornered on foreign policy, and this is me with my "objectivity" hat on. There's no way the Republicans can get around him without looking horribly hypocritical (like when they cheered for getting the troops out of Afghanistan at the Convention), or possibly getting around him on Israel, where Americans on the whole have been woefully misled on the true state of things. Otherwise, he effectively has that defused.

Monster Hunter: pissing me off since 2010.

Viper1 said:
When was the last time we didn't have a warmonger in the White House?

Maybe Jimmy Carter?

I could be wrong but I suspect that the US has to be a bit of a warmonger for international diplomacy to work well at the moment. The USA can play "bad-cop" with other nations taking the role of "good-cop" to negotiate, and the fear of action from the United States military can prevent a lot of bloodshed. The mistakes made by the last few administrations have been to alienate close allies that could act as a "good-cop" (Canada would be the most natural choice IMO) and to try to go it alone.

Kasz216 said:
weaveworld said:

I will support friends across the Middle East who share our values, but need help defending them and their sovereignty against our common enemies.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

These are just some excerpts from the entire speech.

Some of his statements really give me the chills, like the 'who share our values'...

As for "Share are values... Obama has said the same thing... and what's chilling about wanting to support people who are for Democracy, Woman's Rights and the like

I'd like to say: mind your own business? First make sure America is up to your own standard and then try to persuade by example others to adopt your values. Instead of forcing them unto unwilling people.

Common enemies? Defending the values that some 'friends' share in the Middle east? So a different opinion on matter makes one an enemy by default since it's not the 'value' you cherish?

And the chilling part is that I've seen America intervene in countries where they had no right being, making things worse.

Just saying that that is very very far from my values... But hey, I hold no power luckily.

I agree with Romney. The world needs US leadership and initiative ASAP. The UN is not only corrupt but paralyzed and unable to bring peace.

Nato should immediately create a no-fly zone in Syria and strike Iran's nuclear facilities.

Around the Network
weaveworld said:
Kasz216 said:
weaveworld said:

I will support friends across the Middle East who share our values, but need help defending them and their sovereignty against our common enemies.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

These are just some excerpts from the entire speech.

Some of his statements really give me the chills, like the 'who share our values'...

As for "Share are values... Obama has said the same thing... and what's chilling about wanting to support people who are for Democracy, Woman's Rights and the like

I'd like to say: mind your own business? First make sure America is up to your own standard and then try to persuade by example others to adopt your values. Instead of forcing them unto unwilling people.

Common enemies? Defending the values that some 'friends' share in the Middle east? So a different opinion on matter makes one an enemy by default since it's not the 'value' you cherish?

And the chilling part is that I've seen America intervene in countries where they had no right being, making things worse.

Just saying that that is very very far from my values... But hey, I hold no power luckily.

I don't disagree about the "mind your own buisness" part.

Just that his words should be chilling to you... since well... Obama has only since escalatated American Interventionism.

I mean, I can't even name the last president who DIDN'T escalate American Interventionism.

Maybe Bush Senior, if only because the downtick in things after the fall of the USSR might be greater then Iraq.   Or Jimmy Carter maybe I dunno.

Mr Khan said:
Obama's got the Republicans almost entirely cornered on foreign policy, and this is me with my "objectivity" hat on. There's no way the Republicans can get around him without looking horribly hypocritical (like when they cheered for getting the troops out of Afghanistan at the Convention), or possibly getting around him on Israel, where Americans on the whole have been woefully misled on the true state of things. Otherwise, he effectively has that defused.

Well, I think they could get around on him on Israel.  That seems to be working pretty ok.

Outside that though?  Yeah, I mean Obama's expanded pretty much all the Bush doctrine stuff, and has more or less attacked/violated sovernity/invaded everywhere he's been given a chance to.

I'd of been shocked if a Republican actually expanded the whole thing more.

Both candidates are warmongers. If you want peace vote for Gary Johnson.

Kasz216 said:
Mr Khan said:

Well, I think they could get around on him on Israel.  That seems to be working pretty ok.

Outside that though?  Yeah, I mean Obama's expanded pretty much all the Bush doctrine stuff, and has more or less attacked/violated sovernity/invaded everywhere he's been given a chance to.

Fortunately (or unfortunately, depending on how you look at it) Israel's a bit of a non-starter for the American political mainsteam.

Monster Hunter: pissing me off since 2010.

Mr Khan said:
Kasz216 said:
Mr Khan said:

Fortunately (or unfortunately, depending on how you look at it) Israel's a bit of a non-starter for the American political mainsteam.

I just think it's a really small priority at the moment.  From what I understand that Obama wasn't being supportive enough of Israel was one of the few things John Stewart and Bill O'Reily agreed on in their debate.