By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Politics Discussion - Why do the presidential debates matter in the day of the Internet?

I suppose people want to say the presidential candidates have a debate between each other, as it's always been

Xbox One, PS4 and Switch (+ Many Retro Consoles)

'When the people are being beaten with a stick, they are not much happier if it is called the people's stick'- Mikhail Bakunin

Prediction: Switch will sell better than Wii U Lifetime Sales by Jan 1st 2018

Around the Network
Mr Khan said:
JoeTheBro said:
Of course it's important! Voting based off internet fact sheets is ridiculous when instead you could actually hear the candidate saying his policies. For example online it would say "Romney will cut PBS funding" making everyone think "oh that's bad". In the debate however we get a broader picture saying Romney loves PBS but it isn't worth crippling our future generations to pay for. At the same time debates show how passionate the candidates are on each issue. Again online it might say Obama wants to support clean energy but in a debate you can learn this is a key issue to him, not just one of hundreds.

PBS is 0.012% of the Federal Budget. It's like saying "I need to clean out my hard-drive" and deleting one .txt file

An issue is that the harddrive is full of a lot of these things.  There is a strong need to have discussion on priorities at this point, and decing what is worth it or not.  And the biggest items on the harddrive will get people thrown out of office if they decide to tweak.  Heck, look at the GOP trying to go after Obama regarding Medicare.  That is to score political points.  If you were to also bring in military spending, another large item, that ends up being another.

badgenome said:
Sure, Romney and Obama have been making their respective cases at exhaustive length for months and years now, but it's one thing to be able to sit there and make claims and distort your opponent's positions when he can't really respond directly. It's another thing entirely to try and do it to his face. Obama, for instance, is considered very good with prepared remarks. He's very poised whenever he merely has to repeat something he has practiced saying or read it off a teleprompter. But in a less controlled debate environment, he simply melted. That indicates a lack of fluency in the issues of the day, and it's kind of an important thing.

I don't think a lack of fluency is that big of a problem. Plenty of knowledgeable and insightful people happened to be terrible in face-to-face debates. Debates require quick, on-the-fly thinking, which some people don't have. That doesn't mean they aren't knowledgeable on a subject though, it could just means they're poor at debates.

It's for the undecideds who wait until the election gets closer to actually start studying the candidates and issues. A debate allows a relatively easy way to see what each nominee's views are and how they compare to the other's.

So yeah, it's still very important.

this thread seems like a damage control thread to me. Debates can matter, I refer you to the republican primary this year as proof.

Around the Network
Mr Khan said:

PBS is 0.012% of the Federal Budget. It's like saying "I need to clean out my hard-drive" and deleting one .txt file

Wasn't particularly clever when Neil DeGrasse Tyson originally said it, and it's even less clever when you regurgitate it for lack of anything better to say. There's nothing you can point to in the federal budget that's worth cutting if that's the standard, including the oil company "subsidies" that Obama loves to bang on about. Ending those would only account for about two or three days worth of deficit spending at the current rate. That doesn't mean that they're not worth ending.

badgenome said:
Mr Khan said:

Wasn't particularly clever when Neil DeGrasse Tyson originally said it, and it's even less clever when you regurgitate it for lack of anything better to say. There's nothing you can point to in the federal budget that's worth cutting if that's the standard, including the oil company "subsidies" that Obama loves to bang on about. Ending those would only account for about two or three days worth of deficit spending at the current rate. That doesn't mean that they're not worth ending.

It's perfectly valid, because PBS is a fine institution, if only for what it provides to children, and costs America little. Not like Oil Subsidies which, small as they may be, do nothing but line the pockets of big oil.

So killing PBS would be like getting rid of a good .txt file.

Monster Hunter: pissing me off since 2010.

Jay520 said:

I don't think a lack of fluency is that big of a problem. Plenty of knowledgeable and insightful people happened to be terrible in face-to-face debates. Debates require quick, on-the-fly thinking, which some people don't have. That doesn't mean they aren't knowledgeable on a subject though, it could just means they're poor at debates.

That's why I said it indicates a lack of fluency. If I ask you a question about something and you just stutter and stammer and hem and haw, it doesn't necessarily mean that you don't know the answer. But odds are, you don't.

Apropos of nothing, I'm finding a huge number of my lib friends are asking this very same question today--I wonder if there's some over-riding reason for this? Like, say, their favored candidate got crushed like an eggshell in a debate happening just last night. Something like that. I'm sure it's just coincidence.

Mr Khan said:
badgenome said:
Mr Khan said:

It's perfectly valid, because PBS is a fine institution, if only for what it provides to children, and costs America little. Not like Oil Subsidies which, small as they may be, do nothing but line the pockets of big oil.

So killing PBS would be like getting rid of a good .txt file.

This may be a silly question, but why does the government need to fund PBS?  Can't the programs on the channel be funded like any other channel, through advertisement revenue?