By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Vita’s fight for life: After almost a year, has Sony’s handheld managed to distinguish itself?

Systems always distinguish themselves by the games that they have exclusive to them.

I have a Vita because it is awesome hardware and had Uncharted Golden Abyss and a few other titles at/near launch. The summer has been slow, and up ahead it looks like a few games of interest such as AC3-Liberation.

I don't need a new game for Vita every week/month... just as long as I get a few quality titles each year. I have the same expectation for my 3DS hardware aside from the couple of titles per year that interest me, mainly gets played by my wife-or-kids for the things unique to it. Most recently the excellent New Art Academy and the overpriced but still worth it Crossword Plus.

Rest of my gaming takes place between PC, X360, PS3, and Wii... and Wii U will join that fray soon. Most of that being on PS3 because it just has more releases that appeal to my taste than anything else and I favor it for the 3rd party multi-platform titles.

Oh I also play an occasional curiosity of a game on iOS or Android. I don't care where a good game hides... if I find out about it I will give it a shot. 

Around the Network
JoeTheBro said:
Marketing marketing marketing.

Just reading most of these comments shows Sony has failed at marketing the Vita. We are all hardcore gamers who should know better and yet even many of us are shouting fallacies.

In America, the Vita has a great lineup and "hazgaemz". Uncharted, Wipeout, Escape Plan, Super Stardust Delta, Gravity Rush, and Little Big Planet are all amazing games that are just as good if not better than their console equivalents. I'm not saying the Vita plays console games on the go, but that it's just as fun. Heck LBP Vita is undoubtedly better than LBP2 even when playing at home. This is only 9 months after launch and the Vita already has six defining games. Sadly only people with a Vita know this because Sony's marketing sucks.

The Vita is also getting great games in America. Assassin's Creed Liberation, PSASBR, Tearaway, Killzone, and Gravity Rush 2 are all announced and coming. Again many more games are coming but these are the system sellers. If only Sony marketed them.

Have any of you guys even heard of PlayStation Mobile? It launched yesterday allowing anyone for free to develop apps and games for Vita and other certified platforms. With time the Vita will have everything smartphones have except again Sony fails to educate people about this.

The Vita is a great system that can thrive in today's smartphone world as long as people actually know what it does. Plus an official $50 price cut wouldn't hurt.

Strongly disagree with most of that. I believe people know exactly what type of games are on it and simply aren't interested in a portable Uncharted and games like that. It's the same as with the PSP, the type of games were basically stripped down full console games. I don't think people want that anymore.

Playstation mobile is a load of crap. Period. You can't use any of the 3D hardware accelleration in the Vita or most of the RAM for anything developed and as the app you make is running in a sandbox it's slow as hell. Totally useless and done to prevent any hackers finding ways into the system through it.

I don't want a PSP2. I want a modern portable games console that plays fun - ORIGINAL - games. The Vita currently is not it - neither is the 3DS, but the 3DS is getting there slowly. I don't hold much hope for the Vita because the direction it's going is just too much of a reminder of the PSP and type of games it got. Yes there are a few games on the Vita that some would call original, original in 2009 - Yes, original now. No.

3ds is full of console type games and ports, remember that the first big games was a port from the n64

fillet said:
JoeTheBro said:
Marketing marketing marketing.

Just reading most of these comments shows Sony has failed at marketing the Vita. We are all hardcore gamers who should know better and yet even many of us are shouting fallacies.

In America, the Vita has a great lineup and "hazgaemz". Uncharted, Wipeout, Escape Plan, Super Stardust Delta, Gravity Rush, and Little Big Planet are all amazing games that are just as good if not better than their console equivalents. I'm not saying the Vita plays console games on the go, but that it's just as fun. Heck LBP Vita is undoubtedly better than LBP2 even when playing at home. This is only 9 months after launch and the Vita already has six defining games. Sadly only people with a Vita know this because Sony's marketing sucks.

The Vita is also getting great games in America. Assassin's Creed Liberation, PSASBR, Tearaway, Killzone, and Gravity Rush 2 are all announced and coming. Again many more games are coming but these are the system sellers. If only Sony marketed them.

Have any of you guys even heard of PlayStation Mobile? It launched yesterday allowing anyone for free to develop apps and games for Vita and other certified platforms. With time the Vita will have everything smartphones have except again Sony fails to educate people about this.

The Vita is a great system that can thrive in today's smartphone world as long as people actually know what it does. Plus an official $50 price cut wouldn't hurt.

Strongly disagree with most of that. I believe people know exactly what type of games are on it and simply aren't interested in a portable Uncharted and games like that. It's the same as with the PSP, the type of games were basically stripped down full console games. I don't think people want that anymore.

Thank you for proving my point: you don't know what you are talking about.

Uncharted Golden Abyss is not as grand as Uncharted 3 but it never tries to be. If we compared Uncharted GA to Uncharted 1 the Vita version (in my opinion as an Uncharted fan) is better in almost every way. Uncharted 2 and 3 continued the series by becoming more epic and large scale while Uncharted GA expanded other aspects. It's a different beast.

Wipeout 2048 IS the console games HD and Fury (if you have them on PS3) plus its own campaign and extras. Not a stripped down console game.

LBP Vita has everything from LBP 1 and 2 except their levels. The Vita version expands on this with even more content and tools as well as a highly improved create mode. Again I have no idea how you could consider this a stripped down console game.

I do Understand people calling Uncharted stripped down since it is different (even though I disagree), but how can you say Wipeout 2048 and LBP Vita are?

HeavenlyWarrior said:
3ds is full of console type games and ports, remember that the first big games was a port from the n64

Port =/= Remake

Around the Network

Can I ask what sony were thinking when they ignored how important the japanese market is to handhelds? Did they think monster hunter would just lock in place or something?

I must admit I was very surprised by how important monster hunter was to psp success there. The sales are talking though. Obviously there must have been other reasons psp sold but was monster hunter really the system that got psp famous there in the first place?

But they were stupid ignoring the importance of japan. Those developers are the driving force of handhelds.

One more thing to complete my year = senran kagura localization =D

CCFanboy said:
Can I ask what sony were thinking when they ignored how important the japanese market is to handhelds? Did they think monster hunter would just lock in place or something?

I must admit I was very surprised by how important monster hunter was to psp success there. The sales are talking though. Obviously there must have been other reasons psp sold but was monster hunter really the system that got psp famous there in the first place?

But they were stupid ignoring the importance of japan. Those developers are the driving force of handhelds.

Exactly.

The consequeces of this will be gigantic next year

1 - For letting the 3DS grow alone that much in japan - it'll have a huge holidays.

2 - Vita will face a game drought next year due to lack of japanese games to localize, especially games that push sales.

HeavenlyWarrior said:
The 3ds offers console type games too, and nobody says anything about this

Resident evil, kingdom hearts, zelda, star fox, and even mario

they are all hardcore games that we can't compare to angry birds

I see some hipocrisy in some people

Alternative explanations: People have said things about that, and you weren't paying attention. The 3DS is underperforming dramatically outside of Japan. Comparisons to Angry Birds misses the point.

Take your pick(s).

VicViper said:
HeavenlyWarrior said:

Port =/= Remake

Let's be honest with ourselves: as used colloquially, Zelda, Metal Gear, Starfox, and possibly more are ports. Occasional gussying-up aside.

The vita will have low sales for at least another year, but in the long run the vita will be a success.
Something tells me that Sony won't release another handheld for a decade.

:D said:
The vita will have low sales for at least another year, but in the long run the vita will be a success.
Something tells me that Sony won't release another handheld for a decade.

Or never again...

Nintendo and PC gamer