By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Politics Discussion - Wars Started by President

That's a lot of wars

Around the Network
Mr Khan said:
homer said:
Seems like most of those were more of conflicts than wars imo.(our involvement at least) I mean, did Obama really "start" or get us really involved in Libya Civil War? Did we even have boots on the ground? Most of those also seemed to be Indian wars which were just pitiful.(for the Indians)

Broadly defines "war." Forgot to add that

There's a bit of subjectivity in attempting to define anything from history, especially in classing events.

"Start" here is to be taken as "President whom initiated or escalated American involvement." Obviously Woodrow Wilson didn't start World War I (that one metal band did :P), but he did as far as America is concerned.

Depending on how broadly you want to define it you could actually put Kony under Bush instead of Obama.  Or both.

Bush did send a bunch of aid, military advisors and equipment to the Ugandans to fight Kony.  Which is partially why Kony was powerless by the time the Kony videos came out.   The Bush intervention forced Kony to pull out of Uganda.

Obama later sent "armed advisors" to the remaining areas he's been hiding. 

Really it's funny, had the presidential candidate in 08 been ANY of the candidates except Obama I bet Africa would of been pulling heavily for McCain.

mission to capture kony? really?

then lets not forget the war of capuring Bin Laden and the great Muslin Video War

“It appeared that there had even been demonstrations to thank Big Brother for raising the chocolate ration to twenty grams a week. And only yesterday, he reflected, it had been announced that the ration was to be reduced to twenty grams a week. Was it possible that they could swallow that, after only twenty-four hours? Yes, they swallowed it.”

- George Orwell, ‘1984’

Porcupine_I said:

then lets not forget the war of capuring Bin Laden and the great Muslin Video War

Bin Laden, and arguelably the Muslim video war would both fit under the Taliban wars.  Which really would probably better be titled "The war on terror".

Which is why i'm also guessing Obama doesn't have anything for sending drones into Yemen without anybodys permission and killing a bunch of yemen citizens including children.

Kasz216 said:
Porcupine_I said:

Bin Laden, and arguelably the Muslim video war would both fit under the Taliban wars.  Which really would probably better be titled "The war on terror".

Which is why i'm also guessing Obama doesn't have anything for sending drones into Yemen without anybodys permission and killing a bunch of yemen citizens including children.

The jury is out on how to define the drone strikes. I did count al-Shebab but not Yemen, but then i also counted Clinton's missile attacks on Sudan.

It's a murky thing, war.

Monster Hunter: pissing me off since 2010.